Author Topic: Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance  (Read 2608 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:08:04 AM »
Was invited to show my car at the Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance, was parked real close to the Daytona Coupe. Was honored to be near a bunch of really historic cars and classics, plus it was for a great cause "Cool Cars for Kids"
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
That is so cool Steve.  If I was not in Nags Head I would have come to see.

Corey

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »
Was invited to show my car at the Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance, was parked real close to the Daytona Coupe...

I see the "salt flats" in the background of the one photo  8)
Glad that you had the opportunity to participate.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 03:11:10 PM »
Congratulations looks good !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »
Was invited to show my car at the Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance, was parked real close to the Daytona Coupe...

I see the "salt flats" in the background of the one photo  8)
Glad that you had the opportunity to participate.

I was trying to talk them into exchanging my car for the Coupe, at least for the afternoon
It and my car share a past, we’ve both been to Bonneville, it went once, i went twice in my car
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:23:18 PM »
Cool!  Where was this held? 

Might want to 'pack' if you are visiting the city.  ;)

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »
South Philly , near the airport. No need to “pack” anything except perhaps a lunch  ;D

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 10:49:50 AM »
South Philly , near the airport. No need to “pack” anything except perhaps a lunch  ;D

Actually at the Simeone Automotive Museum.  Fred Simeone is a retired brain surgeon who collects race cars.  He does not believe in restoration but rather preservation so most (if not all) his cars are in pretty much as raced condition.  He has three cars of particular note to Shelby enthusiasts: CSX2287 (the first Daytona Coupe), XGT-1 (Alan Mann light weight GT40 MK II), and J-8 (Ford GT MK IV).  Very cool stuff.  And he drives them in the back lot during special events.  A visit is highly recommended.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:59:17 PM »
Was invited to show my car at the Philadelphia Concurs de' Elegance, was parked real close to the Daytona Coupe. Was honored to be near a bunch of really historic cars and classics, plus it was for a great cause "Cool Cars for Kids"

Having seen a few more pix from the Concours, I note that there was a whole pack of rare bow-tie racing machinery located almost directly in front of your GT350H.
I was wondering if you had one of these old SAAC "Movie Posters" on-hand  ;D
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
South Philly...
Actually at the Simeone Automotive Museum.  Fred Simeone is a retired brain surgeon who collects race cars.  He does not believe in restoration but rather preservation so most (if not all) his cars are in pretty much as raced condition.  He has three cars of particular note to Shelby enthusiasts: CSX2287 (the first Daytona Coupe), XGT-1 (Alan Mann light weight GT40 MK II), and J-8 (Ford GT MK IV).  Very cool stuff.  And he drives them in the back lot during special events.  A visit is highly recommended.
Photo below for emphasis.
I also like to note that the Museum has an Allard J2X... ole Shel' raced [at least one?] of those, and possibly thought that the American V8 in a lightweight British roadster was an idea worth developing a little further  ???

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
Got close to the Coupe a few years back