Author Topic: Autolite 4100  (Read 1871 times)

C Griffith

• View Profile
Autolite 4100
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:15:47 PM »
Anybody here know how to tighten the accelerator Lever on the accelerator shaft?

Noticed it to be loose and not producing consistent idle readings.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Autolite 4100
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »
The ends were pressed on where the brass spread out to hold the bracket on.  If the shaft is just a little loose, could try and put the shaft on a press to tighten it up.  If really loose, maybe epoxy, plus pressing.  Last resort is replace with another one.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

C Griffith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply Charles.   Will see if I can press it on a little more.

Charles Griffith

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
I made a tool out of an old cold chisel to tighten up the upsets on throttle shafts without flattening the factory radial ridges.

It is also possible to silver braze the lever to the shaft (shaft has to be out of the carburetor). It takes very little filler material to work. If you get the parts too hot the lever may need to be replated.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

C Griffith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.

I wound up removing the throttle shaft for inspection. I was surprised to see how bad it really was.  I took your advice Dan and silver brazed the back side with success.
Works like a champ with consistent idle readings.  I installed a Daytona carb. rebuild kit with a new power valve.  What a difference a little informed attention can make.
The Daytona kit is designed with gaskets and rubber for todays fuels. I am so happy with this 4100.

Charles Griffith

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 05:04:41 AM »
I’m a little late to respond here…

Green loctite #290 is a wicking loctite that sets up anerobically. It works well in a situation where you have everything already installed. (Brazing is ideal as Mr Dan suggests)

C Griffith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 09:56:39 PM »
Thanks Drew for your thoughts on repairing the 4100.  I should of thought of that myself as I have used it in the past.  More ammunition for next time.

Charles Griffith