News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tiltaway steering

Started by GT350AUS, July 22, 2021, 07:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350AUS

My KR Tiltaway steering works when it feels like it.

I can hear the selenoid working each time the door is opened but it randomly will tilt the steering wheel up and away.

Is there something sticking that can e lubricated so that it works each time?

TLea

One of two things. Either the cable needs a slight adjustment and they are ultra sensitive to the right position or the grease that is up inside the tilt away knuckle has gotten hard over the years

GT350AUS

Tim thanks for the reply.

How difficult is it to access the greasing of the knuckle and how is the cable adjustment made?

Coralsnake

The cable is adjusted by sliding the "L" shaped bracket on the bracket under the dash.

Yes, as TLea mentioned it is very sensitive

The knuckle is very difficult to access

GT350AUS

Ok thanks for reply Pete. Ill have a go at it

TLea

Quote from: GT350AUS on July 23, 2021, 03:12:21 AM
Tim thanks for the reply.

How difficult is it to access the greasing of the knuckle and how is the cable adjustment made?
Disassembling upper column best left for experts. On cable do very small like 1/16" adjustments. From what you describe start by moving cable bracket away from vacuum motor towards column. If adj is maxed out the cable has stretched and can be increased by filing slots longer

Royce Peterson

The cable needs to be what I would describe as "taut" to both unlock when the door is opened and to close the circuit for the starter to engage when the wheel is pulled down. I think you would solve the problem by lubricating the cable - maybe some LPS #2 - and adjust it so there is zero play, as tight as you can make it without releasing.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

DC-DD

There is a small plastic pin that holds the cable in the vacuum actuator release arm.
Make sure that pin is not worn out as it will kick to 1 side just enough to cause an issue.
Scott Fuller sells a really nice replacement. 

Dominic