Author Topic: Sacrilege or a step in the right direction  (Read 9879 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrilege or a step in the right direction
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
    So they use less fossil fuel but SUCK UP electrical power and will still have those TOXIC batteries to deal with. THIS IS PROGRESS!!!!
The electric power typically comes from a coal or gas fired power grid so there is that. I am not sure the relationship with how many miles a electric car can travel vs the amount of gas or coal it takes to run it that far and a comparison with the same using gasoline. The toxic battery disposal and the toxic process to manufacture the batteries are being down played IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2022, 05:48:02 PM »
    So they use less fossil fuel but SUCK UP electrical power and will still have those TOXIC batteries to deal with. THIS IS PROGRESS!!!!
The electric power typically comes from a coal or gas fired power grid so there is that. I am not sure the relationship with how many miles a electric car can travel vs the amount of gas or coal it takes to run it that far and a comparison with the same using gasoline. The toxic battery disposal and the toxic process to mine the component minerals and manufacture the batteries are being down played IMO.

Bob, +1, but I added one thought - hope that is OK.

Also, I keep wondering if anyone who supports the "Green New Deal" and this "total change" to B.E.V.s can do any math?  :o I doubt it.
IF - we change all cars and trucks (not sure about trains and ships?) to Battery Power...
PLUS - we eliminate coal & natural gas fired electricity generation (probably also need to get rid of those nasty nuclear power plants)
HOW MUCH "green" energy generation will be needed? ... and how long is that going to take to get built?
(Yes, I want to see the Megawatt requirement calculation for all of those vehicles)
oops, I almost forgot to include the extra MW to replace home usage of natural gas and propane... heater, stove, dryer, hot water...

Hmmm... I seem to be a bit cynical  ??? ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2022, 06:03:49 PM »
^^^ A friend who writes for Forbes Business has been thoroughly researching exactly these questions, and is going to post his in-depth article very soon.  I will post the link here, when it's live.

I have continually reviewed/critiqued/asked more questions about his article, as it was being researched.   Rest assured, this author is extremely thorough, professional, and pulls no punches. 

He has worked at the future product development level at Ford, and has deep contacts there, and at other major car companies.  He's interviewed scientists and other actual experts.  He calls out the BS claims and fear mongering of media and politicians.   It's an enlightening read.

Stay tuned...

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2022, 06:38:00 PM »
You guys (I mean people lol) are making way too much sense.  We can't have that in 2022.  Sorry.  No critical thinking allowed.  Okay?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »
Hmmm... I seem to be a bit cynical  ??? ::)

Maybe not cynical enough.

In the recent I95/ Washington DC snow closure, it occurred to me, that if a gas powered car ran out, pour in 2 gallons and you're on your way.

If a EV is dead on the road, then you. . .? Plus when someone stops at a charging station, say traveling to Las Vegas when it's a 100 or 35 out, are you just going to sit in your car texting for 10-15 minutes sweating or bundled up?

As for companies switching to sell only EVs (which apparently Chrysler is planning) will they no longer sell cars in central/ south America / Africa / middle east? Because I don't see any of those nations remotley equipped with an electrical grid (save maybe the middle east) that could handle mass EV charging, let alone having the funds to revamp grids to begin with.

PS: Don't even get started on solar and wind power.   

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
I wonder if they have options like: Heated seats, GPS, electric side curtains, cruise control, cigarette lighter, and so on.

My biggest concern is: How much is a tune up. And, can I do the tune up myself.
   ;D

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:46 PM »
Eh.
You guys are thinking way too much about this whole thing.
There is an ass for every seat.

Me?  I’m into cars because I just like machinery. I’m not overly fond of wires, so no interest.
I’m sure there is some dude out there with $200k who is just dying to buy this thing.

I view them the same way as the guy that buys fuel injection for a big FE stroker….

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2022, 07:17:51 PM »
AC Cars have decided to offer the Series 1 of the Cobra Electric in just four colors, and all of them have electric in their name. Blue is the first on the list, as you can observe in the photo gallery, but customers can also opt for black, white, or green.

Electric Blue - I have visions of a large electrical arc burning it down
Electric Green - The eco model as fast as a golf cart but with great mileage
Electric White - For the OCD owner no dirty grease/oil/or gas
Electric Black - Built with Lucas electrics - you'll have to have it towed everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:50:25 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 11:24:12 AM »
     Bob ,
     Out here in the wild west , most of our power is hydro electric or solar. , not coal or gas. A charge is usually good for 240-300 miles. So you go that far and if you use gas you refill in 5-10 minutes. With electricity it HOURS , WHEN you find a charging station. Add that to your travel time. Still waiting to see the electric airplane.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
     Bob ,
     Out here in the wild west , most of our power is hydro electric or solar. , not coal or gas. A charge is usually good for 240-300 miles. So you go that far and if you use gas you refill in 5-10 minutes. With electricity it HOURS , WHEN you find a charging station. Add that to your travel time. Still waiting to see the electric airplane.
   Randy
Randy ,CA yes hydro and solar but the country as a whole uses more gas and coal. That is why I used "typically". The brown outs last summer because of where most of CA's power comes from was a big problem at the usage level in today's world. Think about what would happen if the all of the CA cars and trucks had to charge off of the power grid as well . I hope smarter heads can come up with answers to our country's electrical grid problems .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2022, 12:40:30 PM »
     Bob ,
   Randy

^^^ oops, I neglected the jetfuel in the calculations.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
Out here in the wild west , most of our power is hydro electric or solar. , not coal or gas.

That's what they want you to think. Here is SoCal Edison's numbers from 2020 - Solar 15.1%, Wind 9.4%, Hydro 3.3%. for a total of 27.8%  . Far from most.

LADWP has the clean record for SoCal and their total is still less than 1/3 at 30.7%.

Edison lists over 45% "Unspecified Power" they buy from sources where they don't know how it was generated - it would be easy to sort out but they don't want you to know it's more than likely coal and oil not natural gas.

LADWP only has 0.1% as Unspecified Power and they list 43.9% from Gas/Coal.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
  Yes Bob , I FULLY agree!!! It's just like removing heavy polluting manufacturing from the US. Yipeee we're clean. BUT the WORLD still needs the products and shifting that manufacturing to China ( where pollution is horrific) STILL affects US because of the "fish bowl" planet we live on. Shifting from fossil fuel to electric WILL reduce tail pipe emissions for sure BUT will crash the power grid doing it. The tree huggers will rejoice because of all the "NEW JOBS" created as we scramble to expand the grid to keep up. A different group of people will get rich off of the transition and everyone will call it "prosperity".  Gasoline will not go away in my lifetime thank God.
    Randy

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »
I do not think this is the way God intended A Cobra to be!!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2022, 03:46:28 PM »
 +1