Author Topic: Steve Yates  (Read 4610 times)

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Steve Yates
« on: July 27, 2021, 05:32:35 PM »
Recently unearthed Bill Neale artwork.
This was used on 1996 Spring Fling t-shirts.
RIP: Steve Yates

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Yates
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »
Recently unearthed Bill Neale artwork.
This was used on 1996 Spring Fling t-shirts.
RIP: Steve Yates
Thanks for posting .Good memories come flooding back. Hard to believe it has been that long. RIP Steve Yates
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:59 PM »
Fond memories of these Spring Flings in Brown County Indiana from the 1990s with that covered bridge entering the park...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
When I went to a SAAC Convention at Charlotte decades ago, Steve was he first SAAC guy that I met.  Years earlier he had lived and worked in Hilo, Hawaii.  Start of a great longtime friendship, especially when working with Paxton superchargers.

On my wall is a framed poster of his green GT350S in front of Shelby American that I had him sign at the Portland Convention.  He didn't want to sign it, but I told him that I had enough CS signatures already and I wanted something unique.  He chuckled and signed it.

Miss him. 8)

427Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »
I still have that shirt, but it is wore out. I wear it a lot times when I work on my Cobra, reminding me of Steve. What a great guy, I sure do miss him. I also have the Spring Fling Wine Glasses from years ago, and I always have my wine in one of those glass, as tribute to Steve, and to all of the good times we had together. R.I.P. buddy. Brent, if you have any more of those shirts, I would take one.

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
Larry, shirts are long gone.
Brent

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
Do another with Joyce driving the Honey West Cobra....

Tom Honegger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
Love the artwork. Bill Neale was one talented artist. Steve, always a kind soul. Always friendly and helpful. RIP

427Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 04:35:45 PM »
Thanks Bent. I actually found the Honey West car for Steve thru Lynn Park. Drove that car a number of times. 

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 04:41:48 PM »

[/quote]Thanks for posting. Good memories come flooding back. Hard to believe it has been that long. RIP Steve Yates
[/quote]

I first met Steve and Joyce when my brother-in-law and I went to Hershey SAAC in '77.  We'd driven all night and as soon as we seen some of the cars, we found our motel to sleep.  When we got up, we found Steve and Joyce had checked into the room next to us.  What a great event SAAC 2 was, especially with all the new friends we made.

3 or 4 years later, Steve and Joyce called us in Anderson, and we had them over for supper.  My wife, Merrijoy, is a great cook and we had a great supper as well as a fantastic evening together before they went on their way.  They were heading up to northern Indiana or southern Michigan, I forget where, to see family.

Thanks for the memories of this thread.

Dave Mantor