News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What does a Cobra horn sound like?

Started by deathsled, August 01, 2021, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I got to thinking random thoughts today and began to wonder what the Shelby Cobra horn sounds like be it a 289 or a 427.  As far as memory serves, I never in my life heard the horn on any of them.  I presume they have horns or?  Could not find any examples on YouTube.  More intellectual curiosity at work here, not that it is an essential piece of information to store in my mind, but still...just want to know.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on August 01, 2021, 04:17:03 PM
I got to thinking random thoughts today and began to wonder what the Shelby Cobra horn sounds like be it a 289 or a 427.  As far as memory serves, I never in my life heard the horn on any of them.  I presume they have horns or?  Could not find any examples on YouTube.  More intellectual curiosity at work here, not that it is an essential piece of information to store in my mind, but still...just want to know.
That is a tall order to describe exactly the tone in words. At least for me.  It isn't too different relatively speaking compared to a Mustang horn
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Nobody knows - It's impossible to hear over the exhaust.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

pjg01

the horns are essentially the same as used on other British cars like a TR3. sound pretty good much deeper than a mustang horn

FL SAAC

Probably goes something like this:

beep-beep

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 02, 2021, 09:14:43 AM

beep-beep
LOL.

I am suspecting it sounds like a Mustang horn since Shelby American used a regular Mustang shifter reversed to fit.  Parts bin stuff.  But effective.

Dan Case

Cobras and 427 Cobras used different models (physically different designs) of Lucas® horns. Cobras used:

Horn, Low Note
Lucas® model W.T. 618, plus a part number specific to low notes and mounting, 12V

Horn, High Note
Lucas® model W.T. 618, plus a part number specific to high notes and mounting, 12V

These types were used on quite a few mid 1950s through 1960s British cars. There were different engineering versions by mounting configurations and wiring connections.

I have not gone out and tested differences but I suspect the sound outside a Cobra depends on where the horns are installed. CSX2001-CSX2200, COX60xx (thanks to Ryan and others that provided pictures), and COB60xx (thanks for the assist Roger) chassis had their horns installed between the radiator and grille. CSX2201-CSX2589 had the horns installed down beside the engine. They are loud in either case in the event somebody sounds them anywhere near you moving or not.

I found a few videos of people testing these types loose and the sounds in playbacks just do not have the intensity, volume, and sound frequencies of any I have bench tested or heard in Cobras in person.  (Understand that all kinds of things affect the sound quality, especially poor electrical connections, wear, installation location and direction the 'horns' face, and corrosion inside the unit.  Said another way, not every horn today will be a strong as it was day one unless completely restored including functionally.)
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

FL SAAC

sir how dare you say that lowly stang horns are used  !

what ever they used they still go beep-beep

Quote from: deathsled on August 02, 2021, 09:29:34 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on August 02, 2021, 09:14:43 AM

beep-beep
LOL.

I am suspecting it sounds like a Mustang horn i
since Shelby American used a regular Mustang shifter reversed to fit.  Parts bin stuff.  But effective.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Cobrabob

Just a small point of disagreement with what Dan said about Cobra horn placement, but CSX2186 has the horns mounted in the engine compartment, not out in the grille area. There were many anomalies in how the cars were equipped in the run-up to 2201.

Dan Case

Quote from: Cobrabob on August 02, 2021, 11:52:44 AM
There were many anomalies in how the cars were equipped in the run-up to 2201.

Way off the original topic and for the broader audience, CSX2001-CSX2200 there were not so many anomalies as running changes. Contracts were in lots of 100 chassis but it seems every company involved and feedback from buyers came up with changes. What looks random if one studies just a dozen cars forms into groups of specification changes somebody wanted that carried on from that point on if you cover all the cars you can in a series.

It is usually pointless to study any car that has been crashed, used in any form of privateer competition, or in many instances commercially restored. Unrestored undamaged cars, factory photos, factory documents, and new car road test pictures are the best resources to cover as built topics.

Factory service bulletins to dealers define some specification changes by chassis number.  Changes in specifications of parts and assemblies by Ford Motor Company can be looked up in day one MPCs and training manuals. AC Cars chassis manuals define some specification changes by chassis numbers also. The AC Cars chassis build log is a good source of information.   If you get to see them, Shelby American's documents on the cars by chassis number are informative.

The desires to make broad changes started immediately but it took until CSX2201 for most all the changes all parties wanted to come together.  Lead times were long. For example changes prototyped in February 1963 didn't get to production until around October 1963. Street car wise only two or three cars stand out as noteworthy before CSX2201 and they have factory documentation covering their situations. The only really odd car was CSX2126 which was completed before CSX2080 and was the prototype of Ford cooling system changes at CSX2141, and CSX2201 and later related the prototype for Stewart-Warner® and Ford instruments and switch gear, and Ford alternator, and Ford wiring harnesses, and the first LH drive rack and pinion steering chassis.

Restoring a Cobra to standards like you would a Division I or II Shelby or Boss Mustang is a challenge as many parts were very rare day one and or not serviced. Restoring a chassis before CSX2201 is extra hard as you have to know who assembled (AC, Shelby, or Hugus), where (includes which Shelby shop), when, and what were the specifications of that time/chassis/shop frame. It is confusing for sure without the ability to follow the time line and what was happening.  Many owners and common commercial restorations will ignore many conflicting details due to the urge to create the Cobra they wish they had instead of what they bought.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

deathsled

Look what I started.  I'm always causing trouble wherever I go.  But I was genuinely curious.

shelbyhertz66

The reason nobody has ever heard a Cobra horn
is that Cobras don't need to honk because nobody has
ever been in front of one.
Dave

FL SAAC

+ 1 valid statement, huzzah !

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on August 03, 2021, 11:12:10 AM
The reason nobody has ever heard a Cobra horn
is that Cobras don't need to honk because nobody has
ever been in front of one.
Dave

I have all UNGOLD cars