News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

How significant are the 1969/70 Shelbys and who really ended their production

Started by FL SAAC, August 02, 2021, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

I pose this question for your answers, debates and theories :

How significant are the 1969/70 Shelbys and who really ended their production ?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy

Can't wait to see this thread take off

In my opinion the 69/70s are relevant because it's the end of that generation production - end of an era if you will.   

The 70s have a unique status all their own.  As with any automobile that matures over time they're better GT cars than they are true sports cars; the handling and ride is very good the air-conditioning worked well, the big block cars in the summer in Texas made you feel like you needed asbestos jeans. However the small block is easy to work on, looks good was very reliable.

One of my friends owned about 20 different Shelby's in the 70s, his advice to me was go get a 67 GT 350 four-speed it'll be the best running driving car for what you want. He was right.  I'd really like to have a white, red interior 70 model small block with AC and automatic. I think that would be a tremendous car at 60 for me right now.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many details here. Can't wait to see what others have to comment on. I know having a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang as a kid in the mid 70s, what really frustrated me was the glued in windows.  Who it for that that was a good idea? It probably saved a nickel a car.
Tom - DFW, Texas

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 02, 2021, 09:25:58 PMHow significant are the 1969/70 Shelbys and who really ended their production ?
Fixed it. Ford ended their production when the sales of 1969 cars was so dismal they had to renumber the leftovers as 1970 cars. In Mid 67 Ford took over all of the Shelby production and assets. Shelby American still existed but Ford created Shelby Automotive to manufacture/sell the Shelby cars. While CS was seen as the guiding light he really had no involvement in the day to day operations. He became a race team contractor running the TransAm series. That contract also ended in 1970 and Shelby was done at Ford.
There is a lot of info on the end of Shelby as a manufacturer and closing/moving assets/companies around on the Google 67 Shelby Research Group. https://groups.google.com/g/shelbyresearch
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Greg

Absolutely significant, if you are going by the amount of involvement of CS in defining this, here is something to think about.... the 65 and 66's styling was Fords (after all it was just a mustang :-) converted for Shelby performance)..... but the 67-70 were significantly different than their mustang counterparts  :).
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Stillakid54

May not be the answer you are looking for, but at the time they were very significant. The bare bones may have been a mustang, but the appearance was very different and stood out as something special.  Personally it was THE car I longed for.
In part because of it's appearance I suspect, my father vetoed me purchasing one. In his words "you buy that and you will be dead in six months ". Probably saved my life.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

shelbymann1970

Quote from: PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy on August 03, 2021, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: PrettyMuchAShelbyGuy on August 02, 2021, 11:37:08 PM

In my opinion the 69/70s are relevant because it's the end of that generation production - end of an era if you will.   

The 70s have a unique status all their own.  As with any automobile that matures over time they're better GT cars than they are true sports cars; the handling and ride is very good the air-conditioning worked well, the big block cars in the summer in Texas made you feel like you needed asbestos jeans. However the small block is easy to work on, looks good was very reliable.

One of my friends owned about 20 different Shelby's in the 70s, his advice to me was go get a 67 GT 350 four-speed it'll be the best running driving car for what you want. He was right.  I'd really like to have a white, red interior 70 model small block with AC and automatic. I think that would be a tremendous car at 60 for me right now.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many details here. Can't wait to see what others have to comment on. I know having a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang as a kid in the mid 70s, what really frustrated me was the glued in windows.  Who in the world ever thought that was a good idea? It probably saved a nickel a car.
So a 1967 Gt350 Shelby would handle better than a 1969/70 GT350 that had the Boss 302 suspension? Would it be the shocks? How does the 351W do performance wise compared to a 289 hipo both stock? I'm curious to that. I remember running my car at Waterford hills and on the back straightaway gaining on a 67 GT350 every lap. Of course it was my stone stock vert against an unknown condition GT350. I had 3 people in my car also.1989 different times.. Got pics at the end of the straightaway of the GT350 right in front of me.  :) Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

The main reason 69 shelby sales were down is ford was directly competing against shelby sales with the new 69 428 cj shaker mach 1     13.000 or so made along with the boss 429 302s and cobra torino and talladegas etc

Don Johnston

Not be rude, but would a 1970 be considered a 1969 "carryover"?  Never heard it refered to that way.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on August 03, 2021, 10:25:20 AM
The main reason 69 shelby sales were down is ford was directly competing against shelby sales with the new 69 428 cj shaker mach 1     13.000 or so made along with the boss 429 302s and cobra torino and talladegas etc
Thanks Ed, exactly. To me all of the manufacturers were engineering/improving their cars every year to some degree during this era. I wonder if it wasn't for AO Smith losing the Corvette contract with the new 68 Vettes if Shelby production might have stayed out in California. Wasn't Fiberglass issues a big one that Ford had to tackle and AO smith was the answer and probably the only answer in 1967(for 68 and beyond)? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Don Johnston on August 03, 2021, 10:27:20 AM
Not be rude, but would a 1970 be considered a 1969 "carryover"?  Never heard it refered to that way.
interesting observation but Shelby never called 1965 Mustangs made into 66 Shelbys carryover cars either. A term coined in the marque to call attention to those special early cars. I like my 70 because it was the only car to be worked on at 3 different plants(Dearborn, AO Smith and Kar Kraft). It is rare as only 57 were "revinned". And I don't see another like it when I go to shows. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 03, 2021, 10:16:22 AM

I'm sure I'm forgetting many details here. Can't wait to see what others have to comment on. I know having a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang as a kid in the mid 70s, what really frustrated me was the glued in windows.  Who in the world ever thought that was a good idea? It probably saved a nickel a car.
So a 1967 Gt350 Shelby would handle better than a 1969/70 GT350 that had the Boss 302 suspension? Would it be the shocks? How does the 351W do performance wise compared to a 289 hipo both stock? I'm curious to that. I remember running my car at Waterford hills and on the back straightaway gaining on a 67 GT350 every lap. Of course it was my stone stock vert against an unknown condition GT350. I had 3 people in my car also.1989 different times. Got pics at the end of the straightaway of the GT350 right in front of me.  :) Gary
Gary suspension wise the 67 GT350 and the 69/70 were virtually identical. The big suspension of the later 69/70 didn't help with handling but did with strength and longevity of components. The shocks were identical in function . The two Shelby's weight was comparable apples to apples . The 351 had a little more power but wouldn't rev as high limited by its hydraulic cam.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 03, 2021, 10:44:47 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 03, 2021, 10:16:22 AM

So a 1967 Gt350 Shelby would handle better than a 1969/70 GT350 that had the Boss 302 suspension? Would it be the shocks? How does the 351W do performance wise compared to a 289 hipo both stock? I'm curious to that. I remember running my car at Waterford hills and on the back straightaway gaining on a 67 GT350 every lap. Of course it was my stone stock vert against an unknown condition GT350. I had 3 people in my car also.1989 different times. Got pics at the end of the straightaway of the GT350 right in front of me.  :) Gary
Gary suspension wise the 67 GT350 and the 69/70 were virtually identical. The big suspension of the later 69/70 didn't help with handling but did with strength and longevity of components. The shocks were identical in function . The two Shelby's weight was comparable apples to apples . The 351 had a little more power but wouldn't rev as high limited by its hydraulic cam.
I'm far from a suspension engineer but wouldn't the larger components help  with less "movement/flexing" when road racing?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

Gentlemen thanks for the responses. Things we can agree on are:

Three companies where involved in the 1969 / 70 program. Ford, Shelby Automotive and A.O. Smith.

I believe each had an equal amount of leverage in the process.

This complicated the relationship and the introduction of some of the other mustang (boss, mach1 etc) product's would eventually lead to the end of the demise of the Ford, Shelby and A. O. Smith program.

Having three entities involved,  with out clear direction or better yet quick resolution or decision making on daily production issues that may have come up, also caused great discord.

Then you had the question of processing, billing and the questioning of payments or non payments.

This where the program came to a complete halt.

Just my simple two cents. Keep your thoughts, on-site and knowledge  flowing

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 03, 2021, 11:08:53 AM

Three companies where involved in the 1969 / 70 program. Ford, Shelby Automotive and A.O. Smith.

This complicated the relationship and the introduction of some of the other mustang (boss, mach1 etc) product's would eventually lead to the end of the demise of the Ford, Shelby and A. O. Smith program.

Having three entities involved,  with out clear direction or better yet quick resolution or decision making on daily production issues that may have come up, also caused great discord.

Then you had the question of processing, billing and the questioning of payments or non payments.

you forgot Kar Kraft.....Ed?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

KK was in it also
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 03, 2021, 11:15:47 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on August 03, 2021, 11:08:53 AM

you forgot Kar Kraft.....Ed?

I have all UNGOLD cars