News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'67 GT350 67200F4A01452 on BaT

Started by JD, August 04, 2021, 02:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on August 07, 2021, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Steve Z on August 06, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
LOL I just can't get over the Auction Terms they are coming up with.
to this day I hate the "tribute" term. I believe I first saw that from a BJ auction. From as long as I can remember especially with Shelbys being cloned so much from the onset the term was clone. But I think some on the auction biz thought it was too negative(?) so Tribute was coined.
The term "replica" was the standard first term used in years past to describe a copy of the original in this automotive case at auctions etc. In the case of the early replica Cobras however the term "similar" would be more fitting because they were anything but a exact copy. ::) The term"Replica" took on a disparaging context in the automotive case in part because most attempts at replicating classic cars in years past were not very close to the actual original in comparison.  In it's place for the most part the term "Cloned" became the most used. The process of making a better copy has evolved over the years.  I think the "cloned" term became a preferred usage with it's scientific origins in society. The term "cloned" seem to give more prestige to describing copying the genuine. I think "Tribute" evolved the same way.All terms are still used. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

[/quote]The term "replica" was the standard first term used in years past to describe a copy of the original in this automotive case at auctions etc. In the case of the early replica Cobras however the term "similar" would be more fitting because they were anything but a exact copy. ::) The term"Replica" took on a disparaging context in the automotive case in part because most attempts at replicating classic cars in years past were not very close to the actual original in comparison.  In it's place for the most part the term "Cloned" became the most used. The process of making a better copy has evolved over the years.  I think the "cloned" term became a preferred usage with it's scientific origins in society. The term "cloned" seem to give more prestige to describing copying the genuine. I think "Tribute" evolved the same way.All terms are still used.
[/quote]

REPLICA....the first time I heard that word was in 1976. A guy who had a body shop bought a "KIT" of a boat tail Auburn. Thus REPLICA is a KIT CAR. Neat car. Would I want it? Don't know.
RARE  Signature Delete

Hockeylife

Replica, clone, tribute...all attempts to legitimize, put lipstick, on to something that is nothing more than a fake. We all understand the meaning of fake.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Hockeylife on August 07, 2021, 10:57:43 PM
Replica, clone, tribute...all attempts to legitimize, put lipstick, on to something that is nothing more than a fake. We all understand the meaning of fake.

Yes. It's to suck the defensive backs into a running play and you go long to a wide receiver in one man coverage.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

Just curious how did "Fake", "Clone", "Replica" fall under this topic?  The car in subject clearly isn't and these terms probably shouldn't be used under this subject.  Thats how a bad history for a car starts, I don't think any of us would want these terms used on a thread that had our car listed in the subject....   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on August 08, 2021, 08:50:25 AM
Just curious how did "Fake", "Clone", "Replica" fall under this topic?  The car in subject clearly isn't and these terms probably shouldn't be used under this subject.  Thats how a bad history for a car starts, I don't think any of us would want these terms used on a thread that had our car listed in the subject....
Reply #28
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 08, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
Reply #28

I see, my suggestion would be to start a different thread.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

BGlover67

Price is at $151k with a little over 16 hours left.  Surprisingly high, is it the 'one family ownership" thing?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 08, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
Reply #28
Actually Bob it started with reply #25  ;). Auction terms got brought into the discussion. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

While Bob tagged my post as the start of being off topic it went off topic much earlier first with "What is a survivor" then a bunch of posts about survivors.  Then talk about auction terminology on #25 to be clear on off topic posts on a certain topic.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)