Author Topic: Sill plate finish  (Read 1599 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Sill plate finish
« on: August 05, 2021, 12:03:21 AM »
Lately I have been seeing 65-66 show cars with satin finish door sill plates.  Can anyone provide any documentation or proof that they should be satin?  Original sill plates were left natural aluminum alloy, they were not hot dip anodized like the seat side shields.  Every original I have ever seen and even NOS, a little rub with some chrome polish and the rag turns black.  Do the same thing with a seat side shield and the rag does not turn black.

My opinion is that over time, these sill plates will turn to a dull finish and corrode in some climates.  I have seen several new car images which show quite shiny door sill plates.  Attached is one such period photo o a '65 GT350 conversion.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Sill plate finish
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 12:17:36 AM »
Lately I have been seeing 65-66 show cars with satin finish door sill plates.  Can anyone provide any documentation or proof that they should be satin?  Original sill plates were left natural aluminum alloy, they were not hot dip anodized like the seat side shields.  Every original I have ever seen and even NOS, a little rub with some chrome polish and the rag turns black.  Do the same thing with a seat side shield and the rag does not turn black.

My opinion is that over time, these sill plates will turn to a dull finish and corrode in some climates.  I have seen several new car images which show quite shiny door sill plates.  Attached is one such period photo o a '65 GT350 conversion.
I agree that the sill plates should not be satin but shiny. I don't know how many times over the years that I have had NOS sill plates over the years and they were almost always shiny. the vintage pictures that I have seen like the one Charles posted seem to indicate shiny. I also do not think that they were ever a mirror finish like I see over restored to so often. This same thing applies to 67-70 Shelby/Mustang in my opinion also. There is a reasonable range that one can expect to see them . Shiny but not mirror finish brilliant. Just my thoughts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sill plate finish
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
Agree on them not being mirror finish.  A final hit with 0000 steel wool can do the trick, keep the steel wool in a straight pattern end to end, no circular marks.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge