Author Topic: 3259 Carburetor Problems  (Read 5196 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 3259 Carburetor Problems
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 03:15:13 AM »
My friend Rusty and I rebuilt my carburetor. The accelerator pump diaphragm had dried up so it was replaced by a
Holley 135-10. There didn't appear any fuel in the secondary bowl due to a stuck needle. Yesterday I siphoned all
the old fuel in the tank and took it to our hazardous material company run by several cities in the Dallas area.

Now I have another problem. can't remove the fuel filter bowl to clean it and replace the filter. Don't want the NOS bowl
destroyed and after my health issues the last few years I am to weak to be able to get it loose by arm strength.
Any suggestions how to remove the bowl?

On Friday I am going to Denton to buy ethanol free fuel. Hope the car will running as it used to after that.
Thanks for your help,
Texas Swede
I use a tool that looks like the oil filter tool that has a metal band that tightens around the filter and once tight the tightening arm acts like a lever to tighten or un tighten . The fuel filter can/bowl tool is the same thing only smaller diameter band. I think I got it about ten years ago .Sorry but I don't remember particulars about where I got it. I would be surprise if you couldn't find one on amazon. I use electrical tape to wrap around filter so the band grabs that so that it will not scratch the paint on the filter . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »
Thanks Bob,
Will investigate if an oil filter remover for a motorcycle may work as it should be smaller.

Thanks Rick for your offer to help me. Will try to fix it myself first. It's a drag getting old and weak.

Texas Swede

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »
Thanks Bob,
Will investigate if an oil filter remover for a motorcycle may work as it should be smaller.

Thanks Rick for your offer to help me. Will try to fix it myself first. It's a drag getting old and weak.

Texas Swede
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Strap-Wrench-5-Ribbed/dp/B012RPKM8A/ref=asc_df_B012RPKM8A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475715995816&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6159320082739061247&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023256&hvtargid=pla-1089843792398&psc=1

This could work. 

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
Good idea on motorcycle tools.
I picked up the smallest oil filter strap tool I could find at an auto parts store.  It's still a bit large for the Honda filter.  I have some thick (1/8 inch) neoprene rubber cut to a strip and I can place that inside the strap and work that onto the filter I'm dealing with.  The rubber also has the advantage of not marring the item I'm getting unstuck, and it grabs better than the metal strap.  Just an idea. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »
On my 64 Galaxie, which had the same style canister filter, I used one of these which worked great:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170281249855
Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »
Thanks guys,
Bought a wrench with a rubber band at Amazon. Hopefully this will work.
Texas Swede

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »
Hey Bo, let me know how it goes. David has done a couple for me over the years. We can always pull it and see if he could help.
Tom - DFW, Texas

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 05:12:19 PM »
Sometimes an old leather belt wrapped around the housing and the a filter wrench will work.

Joe

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:19 PM »
How long did it sit? New gas is terrible at gumming up quick. If the accelerator pump isn't working the little ball (79) under the nozzle (78) is probably stuck. You can remove the nozzle and fill the hole with carb cleaner and wait. I had one stuck so bad one time I ended up taking the carb apart and using compressed air after if soaked for awhile.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 09:28:38 PM »
This the type of tool I used to get a stubborn fuel filter can loose. It is made for the smaller diameter filters. you can put electrical tape, inner tube rubber, etc. to insulate between the strap and the filter so as to keep from marring the surface . https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-57020-Filter-Swivel-Wrench/dp/B003969PKS/ref=asc_df_B003969PKS/
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »
Thanks guys,
The car now runs very well but it doesn't start without tuning the starter over for a long time.
Emptied the old gas and filled it up with 92 Octane non-alcohol fuel. Also used Sea Foam
additive. Throttle response is great.
Well, there is always something.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
Thanks guys,
The car now runs very well but it doesn't start without tuning the starter over for a long time.
Emptied the old gas and filled it up with 92 Octane non-alcohol fuel. Also used Sea Foam
additive. Throttle response is great.
Well, there is always something.
Texas Swede
Try two pumps of the gas peddle when starting if sitting over night . That is all that it should take in a perfect world. More pumps initially and it is typically harder to start.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:37 PM »
This may be too late but Snap On sells a Blue Point wrench with a rubber strap that I used to get mine apart the other day. No sweat and no damage to the bowl.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »
2 different sizes for $4.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-strap-wrench-set-2-pc-69373.html

I have used these for lots of things including using the large one to get my pool pump cover off.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.