News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct Radiator Hose Clamps

Started by greekz, August 11, 2021, 11:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekz

While checking out the 1966 Shelbys in Concours at SAAC 46, I noticed both style radiator hose clamps were being used.  I was wondering if there is a clear change over date from the tower style clamp to the stapled wire clamps.  I would suspect the first 252 cars had tower clamps, but curious about the change.

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on August 11, 2021, 11:04:34 AM
While checking out the 1966 Shelbys in Concours at SAAC 46, I noticed both style radiator hose clamps were being used.  I was wondering if there is a clear change over date from the tower style clamp to the stapled wire clamps.  I would suspect the first 252 cars had tower clamps, but curious about the change.

Thanks,

Greek
Currently on the Shelby's the tower clamps are expected on the first 252 66's and the wire clamps are expected on the ones after until new evidence suggests otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

Thanks for the clarification.  That is what I suspected, but had a conversation with an owner of a car well above the first 252, and he was adamant tower clamps were correct for his car.  Now I know the cut off for future reference.

s2ms

Anyone know the SAI VIN of the March 1966 Popular Hot Rodding test car? Definitely an early car based on the rear end housing style but clearly not a carryover. It is wearing "2G MFG 013" plates in the article.

This is the only scan from the article I have handy, shows the thermostat housing tower clamp...

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Quote from: greekz on August 11, 2021, 11:04:34 AM

Not sure that you can call it a "clear" change over date since we lack enough original examples with Ford VINs to go with them to determine that currently. Remember Mustangs, since there were allot more built, are another excellent source for examples

Started to look into the running change but didn't get enough samples. Currently I've got some possible November 65 San Jose examples with band clamps

Some have placed the change to around the end of the calendar year or there about

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on August 11, 2021, 12:09:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification.  That is what I suspected, but had a conversation with an owner of a car well above the first 252, and he was adamant tower clamps were correct for his car.  Now I know the cut off for future reference.
I should have added until new evidence suggests otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on August 11, 2021, 01:19:55 PM
Anyone know the SAI VIN of the March 1966 Popular Hot Rodding test car? Definitely an early car based on the rear end housing style but clearly not a carryover. It is wearing "2G MFG 013" plates in the article.

This is the only scan from the article I have handy, shows the thermostat housing tower clamp...

Lighter gray shade suggest blue engine block paint and it has the 66 style fuel line clip.

J_Speegle

Returned home so had a chance to look at my records and I see the magazine car referred to above and in my records was 6S598. Latest registry identifies it as the car in the article in 1966

Here is a thread from over on CMF the top most picture in the first post from last year is of 6S598 in 1966 showing it had the early band clamps. This is one of the cars used to come up with the November/December 1965 date period I posted above. This was a San Jose installed part so the completion date  would be the date to use or determine not the engine build date or a later SA one

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23808.0

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 11, 2021, 04:11:46 PM
Returned home so had a chance to look at my records and I see the magazine car referred to above and in my records was 6S598. Latest registry identifies it as the car in the article in 1966

Here is a thread from over on CMF the top most picture in the first post from last year is of 6S598 in 1966 showing it had the early band clamps. This is one of the cars used to come up with the November/December 1965 date period I posted above. This was a San Jose installed part so the completion date  would be the date to use or determine not the engine build date or a later SA one

Based on this information, the clamps could have been used well into early 1966 production.

J_Speegle

Quote from: greekz on August 11, 2021, 04:55:42 PM
Based on this information, the clamps could have been used well into early 1966 production.

Well are least one could say approximately the first 25% or so. Didn't get out my calculator :)

s2ms

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 11, 2021, 04:11:46 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the CMF link. I think you are referring to the April 1966 Sports Car Graphic that 6S598 was featured in. The car who's engine compartment photo I posted above is from the March 1966 Popular Hot Rodding article, based on the body shade of gray that car is either red or blue IMO, not black like 6S598. Still curious to know that car's SAI VIN.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Quote from: s2ms on August 11, 2021, 05:18:37 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the CMF link. I think you are referring to the April 1966 Sports Car Graphic that 6S598 was featured in. The car who's engine compartment photo I posted above is from the March 1966 Popular Hot Rodding article, based on the body shade of gray that car is either red or blue IMO, not black like 6S598. Still curious to know that car's SAI VIN.

Dave

Yes  April 1966 Sports Car Graphic that 6S598 .

s2ms

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 11, 2021, 07:09:22 PM
Think we're getting off of the focus of this thread

Agreed, just hoping to ID the 3/66 PHR car as it pertains to the radiator hose clamp discussion....PM sent
Dave - 6S1757