News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

P-1007 GT40 believed to be at the 1965 Monza Exhibition

Started by Richstang, August 12, 2021, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

While I thought it would be neat to share this photo, I'm hoping somebody might have more details or other pictures from the 1965 Monza Exhibition. It is believed to have been in September 1965, but I'm wondering what specific date. This photo was clearly taken outside and there is a sign in front of the Ford GT.

Behind the Ford GT is a Daytona Coupe, very likely csx2299 - from the hood and cowl scoops appearance, which was shown at the Brussels Motor Show around January 12th, 1966.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Szabo

I have already told Rich about it,
but I think the information is also interesting for the general public and for the history in the register.

It took about 2 days of pure searching to get reliable information.

The general terms such as "Exhibition" or "Race Car Show" do not lead to any results, and there is also "Autumn Exhibition in Monza"
not like that ...

The only major event with cars in September was
Grand Prix of Monza at the Autodromo di Monza on
09/12/1965

At first it was a dead end, nothing to be found on the Internet.

All the pictures that can be seen from the race are
of Formula 1 cars on the track, no sports cars, no GT40s were registered and neither was a Daytona Coupe.

But I finally found a report in a British one
"MotorSport" Car Magazin where from an exhibition during the
Race is spoken of, right in the center of the Autodromo di Monza, a GT40 and a couple of Cobras are specifically mentioned.

So that was the general term "Exhibiton" that was used,
so I continued to search in all the sources I have and the only one
Picture that had nothing to do with Formula 1, but the same roof structure and the same underground of pebbles as well as the
The term "Race Car Show" used was a picture from the Austrian "Automobil Revue"

So I think the puzzle is solved and the story is confirmed.

The hole story reminds me of 5S114 shown on LeMans 1965.

Greetings from Germany.

Stephan

P.S.: the Dan Gurney and Son of Photographer Bernhard Cahier is a fun fact photo,
Dan drives at the race, the Son wears a CS Shirt.