News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

New Ford GT to have a V8?

Started by deathsled, August 13, 2021, 08:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 12, 2021, 05:01:31 PM
Just throwing this gem out there for you guys wanting a C8 "R Model" - https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/chevy-announces-new-2024-corvette-z06-gt3-r-race-car/
Yes Pantera transaxle was a problem. I remember going to Stroppe's on Signal Hill and he had a whole room full of Pantera warranty transaxles. They belonged to Ford and I don't know if they finally went back for rebuild or just got scrapped.

I did look at this and was interested to see what transmission was going to be offered.

I saw no mention of a transmission? Are they intending to race this car strictly as an automatic?

The lack of talk of offering a manual transmission as an option has me doubting that this is the car for me.

Does anyone here know if it's a manual or auto?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 13, 2021, 03:03:52 PM
Can't tow?  no problem

C8 Corvette Gets Hitched in Venice, Florida - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/08/01/spied-c8-corvette-gets-hitched-in-venice-florida/

I highly doubt there'll ever be a "tow package" on a new Corvette.  The trailer hitch on the camo'ed car was 99% probability (my number) used to tow a small trailer that's part of the engineering gear.  They can be calibrated to simulate grades, etc.  They run them 24/7 on vehicles at most proving grounds.  I've been on every domestic PG, and a lot of German, Japanese, British, Swedish and Italian proving grounds, too.

98 SVT can probably add to this.
I agree. I have seen Vettes over the years towing cars just like I saw a 68 Shelby at a SAAC convention towing another 68 Shelby on a trailer. https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021/07/14/c4-corvette-with-a-gooseneck-hitch-is-a-perfect-rig-for-towing-a-c4-drift-car-to-the-track/

I like the way this guy got innovative on his C7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiabqjRIfck
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Side-Oilers

Yes, I too have seen guys in older Vettes, back in the day, towing small sailboats or other very light trailers.  Not the best choice in a tow car, but if it's your only vehicle, I get it. 

However, the factory (AFAIK) has never "tow rated" a Vette, probably mostly due to liability reasons. Also, it's so they don't have to add weight by having some acceptable structure for a hitch.

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

mikeh

Shelbymann1970 this is Wayne Curry sometime in the 80's I think. 4 speed KR towing GT-500. Both cars are still local to me, Wayne passed away in 99. He also towed CSX3201 to LA with same car!

I am assuming these were the cars you saw.

FL SAAC

Wondering if the GT will come with a complementary coupon  for white NB shoes?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

^^^ That's a goofy uniform, compared to the requisite "Old Shelby Guy" Hawaiian shirt, Dockers shorts and flip-flops. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 17, 2021, 10:57:10 PM
^^^ That's a goofy uniform, compared to the requisite "Old Shelby Guy" Hawaiian shirt, Dockers shorts and flip-flops.

Hey, hey, hey!  Got the requisite uniform in daily use.  But I live where it is an established dress code.  That alternate uniform show in the photos is saved for SAAC conventions. 8)

shelbymann1970

I'm an "old Shelby guy" and I don't wear Hawaiian shirts, dockers or flip flops. I wear various footwear(NB, Fila, Sketchers and Nike currently, and never jean shorts. Usually cargo shorts. Mostly printed T-shirts. So when I get a new Vette should I only wear my NB shoes? In Tony's pics above the last showing  long blue Jeans and NB tennis shoes I want to ask: Tony, why are you taking pictures of my feet? Weird.  ;D ;D
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 18, 2021, 08:06:16 AM
I'm an "old Shelby guy" and I don't wear Hawaiian shirts, dockers or flip flops. I wear various footwear(NB, Fila, Sketchers and Nike currently, and never jean shorts. Usually cargo shorts. Mostly printed T-shirts. So when I get a new Vette should I only wear my NB shoes? In Tony's pics above the last showing  long blue Jeans and NB tennis shoes I want to ask: Tony, why are you taking pictures of my feet? Weird.  ;D ;D

Do you paint your toenails? If not, you don't have anything to worry about. ;)

NB for me and I don't know how my Shelby t-shirts are going to come across. Maybe there will be a Shelby version of the C8? The Fords seem to be discontinued?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 18, 2021, 08:17:26 AM

NB for me and I don't know how my Shelby t-shirts are going to come across. Maybe there will be a Shelby version of the C8? The Fords seem to be discontinued?
LOL no, I do not paint them . I try to wear good supporting shoes everywhere I go  as I still run on a good week 5 days a week at lunch and I'll be 62 in another 2 weeks. I still got good knees and feet. Since I run around downtown Flint I need to be in shape just in case..... ;D ;D
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

"They" said that "he" was clinically insane and should be institutionalized

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Happy Birthday to You, cha, cha, cha.
Happy Birthday Dear Shelbyman

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 18, 2021, 10:56:36 AM

LOL no, I do not paint them . I try to wear good supporting shoes everywhere I go  as I still run on a good week 5 days a week at lunch and I'll be 62 in another 2 weeks. I still got good knees and feet. Since I run around downtown Flint I need to be in shape just in case..... ;D ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 18, 2021, 01:10:24 PM

Happy Birthday Dear Shelbyman

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on November 18, 2021, 10:56:36 AM

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Happy Birthday to you.
Now you're 62.
You need a new shoe...

I'm working on the rest... check back later! ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Gentlemen,  I am truly overwhelmed with the talent that is exhibited on this forum.  With that we would like to present a trophy to all of you. ( please disregard that spelling B bullsh#t on trophy ) Everyone here is a winner !

Keeping to the topic, NO that overpriced toy will not get a V8, it will keep sounding like angry bumble bees

I have all UNGOLD cars