Author Topic: Shelby Gauge Pod  (Read 9580 times)

Bossssssss

• View Profile
Shelby Gauge Pod
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
Hi,
I have a fiberglass gauge pod that I believe has never been used. Trying to determine if it is an original item.

When viewed from the backside, it has rough fiberglass that can be seen (mostly in the 'middle' where the gauges mount) as there is also fiberglass matting which covers the upper and lower areas.

The outside of it is smooth for the most part. I would call it a flat to semi flat black paint on it.

No holes are drilled anywhere in it (so I do not think it was ever used/mounted).

I think the previous owner put what I believe to be original black wind lace around the entire edge of it. I slightly moved it to the side where the ends of it meet and found that it can be easily removed. Maybe it cam with it from the factory? It looks good on it, but not sure it is original or not. 

Quite dusty as it was sitting for decades, so I am going to photo it as is and then probably wash it and photo it again.

Any info out there on original fiberglass pods?
thanks in advance.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Gauge Pod
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
Photos would be good, cheers
6S373
6S1276

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
If it is indeed an original and you decide to part with it, I would be interested.
Martin
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
Bossssssss,

Is the pod textured lightly on the top and over the edge then smooth on the face where the gauges go and lower portion?

Cheers,
~Earl J

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 08:27:41 PM »
Hi Guys,
I will take some photo's of it tomorrow in 'as found' condition and post them. The forecast is supposed to be sunny in my area (very rare for upstate New York area), so you will will be able to decide for yourselves the 'look' of it.

Thanks,
Mark

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
 I used to own the original from a three digit car . It was done with a chopper gun IIRC . Certainly did have texture on the top. 
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
If old age hasn't caught up with me too much, I remember original pod on 5S228 had texture on top as well.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Well, if it were an original, I would see mounting holes. Granted the pinch on edging material doesn't belong on there, but the missing holes would indicate to me it is not. Unless they're under the edging. I can see the texture, it is very very fine.

~Earl J

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
I know that the pods were changed somewhere after car #100. Wan't there an issue with them melting in the CA sun?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »
I know that the pods were changed somewhere after car #100. Wan't there an issue with them melting in the CA sun?
The plastic pods sometimes warped badly with the suns help. The fiberglass pod did not deform remotely like the plastic pod did and was the evolution in production and service replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
As I recall, it started with fiberglass (determined it was too laborious to make) then to injected molded plastic (cheaper to make but didn't survive and warped badly with the help of the sun) then back to fiberglass. This is off the top of my head without looking it up.
Supplies from vendors for various parts changed too, steering wheels, hoods, pods, traction bar covers etc. Hand built cars, gotta love'em.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:58:10 PM by SFM5S000 »

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »
5S275 came with a plastic pod which a previous owner gave me some years ago.
It had warped so bad so the top had to be broken off to get it off the car.
When I bought my car in Feb of 1988 it came with a repo pod. After many years of searching
I found an original fiber glass pod with an original oil pressure gauge. Sold the gauge to another
65 owner. Tried to post pictures but it's like pulling teeth and I gave up.
Texas Swede

Bossssssss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
The reason it has no holes is that I do not think it was ever used/mounted. There does not appear to have any witness marks where the gauges mount.

I heard that these were offered in the Shelby parts book? but not sure. Can anyone please confirm either way?

Also, does anyone know if reproductions ever offered in fiberglass?

TIA

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 08:40:26 PM »
     Tried to post pictures but it's like pulling teeth and I gave up.
Texas Swede

Indeed
I’ll post some pics of an NOS piece if we can fix the pulling of teeth issue.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI