News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 # 751

Started by RAYGEDDESPROTO751, August 15, 2021, 12:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYGEDDESPROTO751

Since my car was a SHELBY AMERICA company car and used by Ford for 4-6 months for promotional and other things. I discussed this with the Ford Museum. They informed me that Ford copied SHELBY AMERICA on all pictures and events . Who holds these records and can I get copies and a history of all events and uses. Thanks Clayt

Coralsnake

That's the nice way of telling you they are not going to look. If Ford did save the information it's unlikely they would share it. It's likely buried where no one that works there now will ever look. The reality is Ford could care less about your 50 year old car. They want to build Ecars.

Several dozen cars were assigned to "Ray Geddes" over the years. That doesn't make it a "prototype".

The company was called "Shelby American" and they did not save the records. The very few items that are available were rescued by the Shelby Club. The fact that you know your car was a "pool" car is probably as much as your going to get. 

shelbydoug

Quote from: RAYGEDDESPROTO751 on August 15, 2021, 12:21:35 PM
Since my car was a SHELBY AMERICA company car and used by Ford for 4-6 months for promotional and other things. I discussed this with the Ford Museum. They informed me that Ford copied SHELBY AMERICA on all pictures and events . Who holds these records and can I get copies and a history of all events and uses. Thanks Clayt

I've never seen any pictures with a SA copy right logo on them nor specific credits of a serial number in the picture.

Earlier cars such as R models are often identified in pictures because of recognizable traits each car had, not because there is a serial number attributed to them necessarily.

What you were told is a bit of a fabrication.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

From what I understand Kopec etal was able to save a couple file cabinets of stuff from going to the landfill from Shelby's. It was mostly business records invoices, cancelled checks, letters, etc. Over the years they have sent copies of records relating to cars people owned and been able to verify Ford/SA serial numbers. Dave Freidman kept all the photos (and has sold them several times). He is seen as Shelby's "official" photographer but I think he made his money from selling the pics to publications not directly from SA. Serial numbers at the time meant nothing so no effort was made to keep track of them beyond the ledger which was found detailing the Ford # and which Shelby it became.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

GT350DAVE

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 18, 2021, 07:25:19 PM
From what I understand Kopec etal was able to save a couple file cabinets of stuff from going to the landfill from Shelby's. It was mostly business records invoices, cancelled checks, letters, etc. Over the years they have sent copies of records relating to cars people owned and been able to verify Ford/SA serial numbers. Dave Freidman kept all the photos (and has sold them several times). He is seen as Shelby's "official" photographer but I think he made his money from selling the pics to publications not directly from SA. Serial numbers at the time meant nothing so no effort was made to keep track of them beyond the ledger which was found detailing the Ford # and which Shelby it became.

Those records were from 1966 and before. There was no 1967 information.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: GT350DAVE on August 19, 2021, 02:20:15 PMThose records were from 1966 and before. There was no 1967 information.
Dave

I wonder if all that stuff was scooped up by Ford and taken to Dearborn when they took over. They would need the info for warranty and accounting for the KD cars that had been sent.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

GT350DAVE

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 19, 2021, 03:36:55 PM
Quote from: GT350DAVE on August 19, 2021, 02:20:15 PMThose records were from 1966 and before. There was no 1967 information.
Dave

I wonder if all that stuff was scooped up by Ford and taken to Dearborn when they took over. They would need the info for warranty and accounting for the KD cars that had been sent.
We were able to get some files from Ford for the later cars.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry