News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

driveshaft restoration

Started by Jack4159, August 13, 2021, 09:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Z

Jeff, Can you elaborate as to what a specific color would refer too? Thanks

J_Speegle

Quote from: Steve Z on August 23, 2021, 09:01:10 PM
   Jeff, Can you elaborate as to what a specific color would refer too? Thanks

Specific colors have no "meaning" as fair as I can figure and have been told. They were likely just randomly chosen,  finalized and applied by the supplier. Believe the colors may have been chosen by Ford but can't be certain but on a few engineering drawings I've seen of drivelines sometimes the colors were included in those drawings

So bottom line is that each individual stripe color can not be used to decode the tube size, length or other details
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

I think logically the combination of colors had to do with the specific makeup of the given driveshaft for the specific optioned car it was designed for. Maybe no meaning to Ford but the combination of colors possibly meant length and maybe the u joints and yokes to the mfg. Specific combinations of colors are seen consistently on specific optioned cars which seems to support the combination of colors had a build meaning. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2021, 10:03:24 PM
I think logically the combination of colors had to do with the specific makeup of the given driveshaft for the specific optioned car it was designed for. Maybe no meaning to Ford but the combination of colors possibly meant length and maybe the u joints and yokes to the mfg. Specific combinations of colors are seen consistently on specific optioned cars which seems to support the combination of colors had a build meaning.

Just for discussion purposes and to share thoughts.

If the colors were related to a feature such as tube diameter, length and yoke size or type we would see the same color used on all of the 68 drivelines that used the same dia tubes.  I'm not seeing that.

Half way down the page

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SUSPENSION.HTML
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Side-Oilers

68stangcjfb:   The Gear Vendors went in pretty easily...no metal bashing or cutting necessary.

Nice to be able to drop the rpms on the freeway.   Works well on the track too.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 23, 2021, 11:11:29 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 23, 2021, 10:03:24 PM

Just for discussion purposes and to share thoughts.

If the colors were related to a feature such as tube diameter, length and yoke size or type we would see the same color used on all of the 68 drivelines that used the same dia tubes.  I'm not seeing that.

Half way down the page

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SUSPENSION.HTML
It is obvious we do not have all of the answers . Why would Ford go to the trouble of list specific colors on build sheets that correlate to specific variations of Shelby's. There are not too many high profile examples of Ford putting random coding on build sheets. And in this case it would be done many thousands of times. Random is not logical in this situation . It is hard to say what exactly they are for . But given Fords MO on the way they do things random is extremely unlikely. I think rather then labeling them random it would be more prudent to be categorized as  "waiting for more conclusive information".   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby