News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Power brake vacuum pump recommendation / installation

Started by gt350bp, August 21, 2021, 03:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Looking for a recommended power brake vacuum pump and an installation method that minimizes the need for drilling holes. I have a Summit cast vacuum pump that has been sitting on the shelf and was thinking the driver side wheel well and the hood hinge bolts for a bracket mount? Thought I could run the vacuum hose under the cowl lip / export brace from the carb spacer vacuum port to a check valve provided in the Summit kit. The check valve will then have a tee to the vacuum pump and to the brake booster. I guess I also need to consider a water shield or cover for the vacuum pump if installed in the wheel well.

Anyone have a recommendation and photos they can share of a clean vacuum pump installation?

Thanks for any recommendations / suggestions.

Don
gt350bp 

TA Coupe

Hey Don,how's it going? From memory I think that mine looks like this one?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/63016/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIKJBhBPEiwAu7zll6vedxMHZW84K4051UqT3og5fLFFrw267QBCa0yDYI4Vb7yxLAKxdBoCBkoQAvD_BwE

Rich mounted it under the cowl and it's hooked up to intake vacuum. The 2 hoses coming out of the firewall go to it. Here's a couple of crummy pics:

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on August 21, 2021, 04:25:04 PM

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/63016/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwyIKJBhBPEiwAu7zll6vedxMHZW84K4051UqT3og5fLFFrw267QBCa0yDYI4Vb7yxLAKxdBoCBkoQAvD_BwE

Rich mounted it under the cowl and it's hooked up to intake vacuum. The 2 hoses coming out of the firewall go to it. Here's a couple of crummy pics:

Roy
I don't know what year you are working on but the example will work for a 69/70 as the grill can be removed . 67/68 not so much. Regardless best of luck with the project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

Roy / Bob,

Working on a 68 KR, so the cowl opportunity does not work. I'm looking at the L.H. wheel well with a fabricated bracket and shield that will use the hood hinge bolts. There already is an access hole under the hinge that I think if I loosen the hinge I can fish a 3/8" hose to the vacuum pump. The pump is heavy, so the bracket will have to be beefy or L-bracket and use a longer fender bolt to hold the dead load? Attached is the Option #2 instructions and a couple of photos. Any ideas are welcomed.

I'm only making 9 to 10 inches of vacuum with the Comp Cams solid roller cam. I guess the good news was 639 h.p. on the dyno and the bad news is having to run the vacuum pump!

Another issue that will need addressed is the factory tach, as the engine revs so quick, the factory tach lags. I guess an aftermarket era correct Sun tachometer may be the answer or if the factory tach can be upgraded to better electronics? Any experience with a factory tach upgrade? Thanks for the help.

Don
gt350bp 

Rickmustang

I hid mine inside the passenger splash shield on my 427 '68 GT 500.  Couldn't tell it was there. Hose ran high through the splash shield rubber.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Royce Peterson

I got one from Stainless Steel Brakes and mounted it in the forward RH wheel well on a 455 inch stroked 427 in a '67 GT. It worked fine but the noise was incredible, I just hated that.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

I have a Compcams unit in my Pantera. Yes. It IS loud, but so is the engine.

On a 68 shelby, the best that you can do is on the drivers side, under the front fender, behind the splash shield.

Then the hose run is short and under the brake master and booster.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 21, 2021, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: TA Coupe on August 21, 2021, 04:25:04 PM

Roy
I don't know what year you are working on but the example will work for a 69/70 as the grill can be removed . 67/68 not so much. Regardless best of luck with the project.

Your right Bob, 1970 Mustang.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350bp

Finally finished the vacuum pump installation on my KR. Use longer hood hinge bolys and hung a bracket off the bolts to mount the vacuum pump. Attached are a few photos, as this installation did not require any holes to be made or modifications to the original sheet metal.

Don
gt350bp