Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 4-Speed Clutch Service  (Read 3369 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 GT 350 4-Speed Clutch Service
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 09:50:11 PM »
The equalizer bars (Z-bars) are known to bend on the cars and if the clutch used is of a more Heavy-duty (do you know what the current clutch set-up is?) then extra flexing and bending is likely. 

Also is it the same type of clutch, there are many pages of clutch preferences and set-up on this forum.

Service manual will give all the spec's and adjustments, you have one I hope.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

DGSOH

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT 350 4-Speed Clutch Service
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »
The equalizer bars (Z-bars) are known to bend on the cars and if the clutch used is of a more Heavy-duty (do you know what the current clutch set-up is?) then extra flexing and bending is likely. 

Also is it the same type of clutch, there are many pages of clutch preferences and set-up on this forum.

Service manual will give all the spec's and adjustments, you have one I hope.

Thanks JD.

Yes, have read about how *fragile* the z-bar can be. Mine is a little bent but who or what isn't after 54+ years : ) But without mocking up a sample in my CAD app it's hard to tell if it's enough to be the sole cause. My gut tells me no.

Yes, same type clutch i.e. 3 lever long throw - RAM 92502 which I think is a little beefier than stock. Initially it did feel stiffer than I remember the one that was in there before resto, to the point where I called the company to inquire if what I was feeling was normal. They said yes but could reduce the clamping pressure if needed. After a little while I just didn't think about it any more.

Yes sir, I have a service manual. Back in the day I'd buy one whenever I got a new car, this was no different. The pages are falling out but still have them all. An invaluable resource.

A guy on another forum said he had a clutch where one of the levers broke and had identical symptoms, that's what my inclination was (or something like that) upon first inspection but digging deeper revealed the z-bar defect as well.

At this point I'm going to put in a repop z-bar and see where I'm at. Either way I don't want to use the original in it's current state and this will give me some time to get it repaired.