News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

help pricing a 1970 Hemi Cuda

Started by Harris Speedster, August 24, 2021, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cudino

Hi Gary,

'71 V-code Challengers are very rare.  Chrysler only produced big-block E-bodies (Challengers and Cudas) for 2 years, 70-71.  At 246 US shipments in total (127 4-speeds, 119 Autos) your 440-6pak "V-code" Challenger R/T was very rare, especially compared to 1970 production totalling nearly 2000 (1640 R/T and 296 RT/SE V-codes).  They didn't actually make an RT/SE model in 1971, that was a 1970-only offering, but for 1971 they did carry over the "Formal Roof" option that essentially made a '71 R/T into an RT/SE.  This is likely what you had, or perhaps you meant you had a '70 model instead of a '71.  Anyway, only 105 of the all the 1971 Challenger R/Ts built were also ordered with the Formal Roof option, about 1%, so finding one of those 119 1971 440-6 Challenger R/T Autos that also got the Formal Roof Option would be pretty rare.  And similarly, instead of a '71 if your car was actually a '70 RT/SE V-code, of the 296 built for US only 161 were Autos.  Either way it was very unique, sounds cool.

E-Body Cudas and Challengers are hot right now, especially 70-71s, and so are 68-70 Chargers.  These cars have always been in demand, and now is no different.  I wish I knew a good Charger for sale, I don't, but in particular if your friend is looking for an original car (as opposed to a clone or customized car) you can PM me and I'll forward any info I hear.

- Wade

KR500

Had a customer bring in one ( 71 Challenger 440-6, A/T, triple black ) to restore about 30 years ago. I went over it and gave him a list of parts that were needed to do the restoration. Started to collect parts then he sold it. I still have a NOS RH door skin for it.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Cudino on August 26, 2021, 04:22:43 PM
Hi Gary,

'71 V-code Challengers are very rare.  Chrysler only produced big-block E-bodies (Challengers and Cudas) for 2 years, 70-71.  At 246 US shipments in total (127 4-speeds, 119 Autos) your 440-6pak "V-code" Challenger R/T was very rare, especially compared to 1970 production totalling nearly 2000 (1640 R/T and 296 RT/SE V-codes).  They didn't actually make an RT/SE model in 1971, that was a 1970-only offering, but for 1971 they did carry over the "Formal Roof" option that essentially made a '71 R/T into an RT/SE.  This is likely what you had, or perhaps you meant you had a '70 model instead of a '71.  Anyway, only 105 of the all the 1971 Challenger R/Ts built were also ordered with the Formal Roof option, about 1%, so finding one of those 119 1971 440-6 Challenger R/T Autos that also got the Formal Roof Option would be pretty rare.  And similarly, instead of a '71 if your car was actually a '70 RT/SE V-code, of the 296 built for US only 161 were Autos.  Either way it was very unique, sounds cool.

E-Body Cudas and Challengers are hot right now, especially 70-71s, and so are 68-70 Chargers.  These cars have always been in demand, and now is no different.  I wish I knew a good Charger for sale, I don't, but in particular if your friend is looking for an original car (as opposed to a clone or customized car) you can PM me and I'll forward any info I hear.

- Wade
Thanks for the info. Car had an overhead console and V roof and that is why we  called an "SE"  back in the day. Definitely a 71. Original paint and primer on some of it. Had the standard R/T hood with 440 six pack emblems on it. Road wheels. Side scoops. R/T stripes. Came with a T/A hood also . I traded a spare deck lid to a 71 HEMI Challenger owner for a Gull Wing 71 Spoiler(very rare back in 1980). A good friend years later bought a 1 owner 30K mile  plum crazy original paint 71 HEMI Challenger 4 speed survivor. I told him if he didn't buy it I would. Pic below. The brown HEMI 70 Cuda(original paint southern car) has been sitting since the early 80s when the guy I know bought it. So Wade, I know about the back window not being smaller in 1971 but no S/E designation either? We can take this off line in messages but posted to show the pics which we can't do in a PM. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Harris Speedster

Hoping to get in and get a look this Saturday as mentioned.
The Dr's son has stepped into the picture, not sure what effect, if any, tho is going to have.

My 69 Hemi 4 speed Dodge Daytona I once had >> it too had a weird back window as I recall.
Seems oddities have become involved, which is cool.
I always called that brown color, rootbeer ?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 27, 2021, 09:00:57 AM
Hoping to get in and get a look this Saturday as mentioned.
The Dr's son has stepped into the picture, not sure what effect, if any, tho is going to have.

My 69 Hemi 4 speed Dodge Daytona I once had >> it too had a weird back window as I recall.
Seems oddities have become involved, which is cool.
I always called that brown color, rootbeer ?
John
Did you know those who build Daytona Replicas(Charger 500s) use a Chevy Vega rear hatch with glass as the rear window setup on Daytonas? Met a 68 Shelby owner who had a clone.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Harris Speedster

shelbymann1970,
I did not know that, the window must be a pretty good match for the opening, angles etc.
For Mopar fans, was Hemi 4 speed, mango, black interior needed rest, numbers match, came from Ut. Should be in their history books.
Guess 1 0f about 50, low number of 4 speeds as I recall.
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 27, 2021, 12:20:19 PM
shelbymann1970,
I did not know that, the window must be a pretty good match for the opening, angles etc.
For Mopar fans, was Hemi 4 speed, mango, black interior needed rest, numbers match, came from Ut. Should be in their history books.
You have had a lot of cool cars over the years. I seem to recall a friend of mine bought the Sean Penn 68 Shelby GT500 off of you decades ago. Lives in Windsor.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Side-Oilers

I got to briefly drive the Sean Penn car when former owner Tom Holland (the older movie director, not today's actor) owned it, and had already promised it to Madonna, to buy for Sean.   

It had a couple of small problems to be dealt with.

A buddy and I worked on it at Holland's house for a couple of days and got it back to running right. 

Never got to meet Madonna, however. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Harris Speedster

Was a screwed up deal in a way.
sideoiler;
I can not remember who I bought it from, probably was Tom Holland as you say.
He did say he worked with the Studious.
Story I got from them, Madonna gave it to Sean on their wedding day.
Was told it appeared on the cover of a big Hollywood magazine.

Told Keifer Sutherland, Sean penn, Charlie Sheen and some other rich actor raised hell in it with police >> in Hollywood.

It had about 5,000 worth of stereo equip in it.
Was a pretty good solid car as I recall.
Was the guys name>>>long time ago, Vito Campanaro I sold it to ?

Shelbyman, thank you, i have had over my fair share one might say.
Mr Vinnie was always the first to know>> might ask him the day I called him and told him I found the original block for his 67 gt 350, about 20 miles from his house>> no S--t.
Proud to by a Shelby & Ford guy  at heart.
The one I hated to walk from, was the 67 built pro type 68 conv . long story there.
Respectfully,
John

Harris Speedster

Cudino,

I missed the V code plum crazy or panther pink challenger Conv, white int 440 6 barrel car that was hit in the rear by Columbia Mo.
Seems panther pink, as it was 1 of 1 I think. I think it was a matching number, hit real hard in rear as I recall.

Another for your notes, was 2nd last bidder on the plum crazy 1971 hemi conv in KC Mo.
That Galeon, or Gallon guy that holds the records of important mopar cars, shared quite a bit with me,
There was a concept hemi car that was not in his factory records, fortunately it had its build sheet>> real odd build. Matching number. Number 10 as I recall on serial number. Arizona

One I should have kept, 68 GTX Hemi Conv, red, white int, white top, and as I recall 4 speed, not matching number. Southern Ut.
I liked pre 68 Jags to,, but not limited still.

I stayed away from GM, as I could never trust their numbers, alum warranty tags, build sheets etc, let alone they sold
stamp kits>> piss on that.
Respectfully,
John

Side-Oilers

John,
Fun to think of Penn, Sheen, etc, tearing it up around Hollywood in that car!

Did you know Bob Larivee, the owner of ISCA custom car shows in the 1970s-80s?  I had dinner with him a few times, and one of those times he brought his Hemi Cuda convertible, 4-speed.  I think it was black.  But, it's been about 35 years ago.  Cool & Rare car.

Around that same time (early '80s) a guy named Merle Dupree, from the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, had a pretty decent collection of Hemi cars. Mostly '60s full-sizers. Ever heard of him?   

A buddy bought a '66 Hemi Satellite 4-speed from Merle.  Not a great condition car, but original.   My buddy didn't drive it easily. There was so much blow-by out of the engine compartment that you could barely see out the windshield (or breathe) whenever we street raced it. 

Good times.
Van

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Cudino

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 27, 2021, 12:20:19 PM
Hi John,

Your Hemi 4-speed Daytona was very rare.  There's been a lot of debate as to how many of those were built, and there's some paperwork that shows as many as 22, but in reality I think the number is closer to 15.  I'm doing a little digging to see if I can find your old car, which was very likely EV2 Hemi Orange in color.  If I turn something up I'll let you know.

QuoteI missed the V code plum crazy or panther pink challenger Conv, white int 440 6 barrel car that was hit in the rear by Columbia Mo.
Seems panther pink, as it was 1 of 1 I think. I think it was a matching number, hit real hard in rear as I recall.
If it was Panther Pink I know that car very well, there is only one like it known to exist.  It is the first car painted in Panther Pink (FM3), and debuted at the 1970 Chicago Auto Show.  I don't know of it ever being hit, but I believe early in it's life it was stolen, stripped, and left in a ditch, before eventually being restored to its former glory.  Here's a link:
https://pantherpink.com/fm3004.

Another for your notes, was 2nd last bidder on the plum crazy 1971 hemi conv in KC Mo.
That Galeon, or Gallon guy that holds the records of important mopar cars, shared quite a bit with me,
There was a concept hemi car that was not in his factory records, fortunately it had its build sheet>> real odd build. Matching number. Number 10 as I recall on serial number. Arizona
You've definitely been around some nice cars.  I think you're referring to Galen Govier.  I'm not sure about the concept Hemi car, but I am well-versed in the Hemi Cuda and Challenger convertibles.  Is it possible the "71 Hemicuda Vert you tried to get in KC was white instead of plum crazy?  There were only 12 made, and the only purple '71 was up in Canada.  But there was a white one that originated from the KC area, and interestingly enough it was/is also a column-shifted Auto.

- Wade

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 27, 2021, 05:15:27 PM
Was a screwed up deal in a way.
sideoiler;
I can not remember who I bought it from, probably was Tom Holland as you say.
He did say he worked with the Studious.
Story I got from them, Madonna gave it to Sean on their wedding day.
Was told it appeared on the cover of a big Hollywood magazine.

Told Keifer Sutherland, Sean penn, Charlie Sheen and some other rich actor raised hell in it with police >> in Hollywood.

It had about 5,000 worth of stereo equip in it.
Was a pretty good solid car as I recall.
Was the guys name>>>long time ago, Vito Campanaro I sold it to ?

Shelbyman, thank you, i have had over my fair share one might say.
Mr Vinnie was always the first to know>> might ask him the day I called him and told him I found the original block for his 67 gt 350, about 20 miles from his house>> no S--t.
Proud to by a Shelby & Ford guy  at heart.
The one I hated to walk from, was the 67 built pro type 68 conv . long story there.
Respectfully,
John
Yes, Vito Campanaro you sold it to. I haven't seen him in a few years (Covid) but he pops up occasionally. Last time was at my friend's Seraphim's house. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Harris Speedster

Cudino,
It could have been white.
Guy had owned it for many years. may have an old pic of it.
It was a chance in a lifetime to get it. 71 Hemi Challenger conv,

The Panther pink V code conv was hit, debated on getting it, perhaps was too reserved in our offer to buy.
The concept car from AZ led to Galen<< mopar chief, finding out that not all is as records>> known>> say.

Same as a 65 Shelby that did get documented as 1 of 1 from Shelby records , 5 special order things on the car. Big Jim Cowles, ended up getting from me, one of two trips he made out to my place>>> John from Utah.
Gary, when you bump into Vito next, tell him John from Utah said hi !

Been a crazy ride for sure.
Also>>Heading to Watkins Glen where Ben, builder of the 1935 Speedster, worlds first exotic super car, is being placed in the Walk of fame.
Will share the walkway with shelby, gurney, cunningham, penski, hill, Finch, Kimberly>> all the great early race legends.

Will be there on the 6th, one of the two Rod Millen Built Miata mazda backed werks cars will be raced with the big dogs, 1st ever allowed to race SVRA.
Kind oi like the cobra coupe of the million cars sold. they are in the Genises book of world records, for that reason, the most sold two seat roadster in automotive history, 1878-2021.
Had to look into the crystal ball again,
There are a few experts on early Miata's at the SAAC site.
John

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Harris Speedster on August 28, 2021, 09:56:04 AM
Cudino,
It could have been white.
Guy had owned it for many years. may have an old pic of it.
It was a chance in a lifetime to get it. 71 Hemi Challenger conv,

The Panther pink V code conv was hit, debated on getting it, perhaps was too reserved in our offer to buy.
The concept car from AZ led to Galen<< mopar chief, finding out that not all is as records>> known>> say.

Same as a 65 Shelby that did get documented as 1 of 1 from Shelby records , 5 special order things on the car. Big Jim Cowles, ended up getting from me, one of two trips he made out to my place>>> John from Utah.
Gary, when you bump into Vito next, tell him John from Utah said hi !

Been a crazy ride for sure.
Also>>Heading to Watkins Glen where Ben, builder of the 1935 Speedster, worlds first exotic super car, is being placed in the Walk of fame.
Will share the walkway with shelby, gurney, cunningham, penski, hill, Finch, Kimberly>> all the great early race legends.

Will be there on the 6th, one of the two Rod Millen Built Miata mazda backed werks cars will be raced with the big dogs, 1st ever allowed to race SVRA.
Kind oi like the cobra coupe of the million cars sold. they are in the Genises book of world records, for that reason, the most sold two seat roadster in automotive history, 1878-2021.
Had to look into the crystal ball again,
There are a few experts on early Miata's at the SAAC site.
John
I will tell Vito the next time I see him. I remember you quite well as John from Utah for your wanted ads for cars. You wouldn't have known me for sure back then. Glad to see you are still enjoying cars. I remember Vito telling me he told you what he was looking for. NO HIGHLAND GREEN cars. Then you said you had one and hear you out. LOL. I remember he was adament about being able to get a Canadian title for it and preserving the Penn title. Same time he bought a aqua 69 GT500 vert out of Mn. Early 90s. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990