SAAC HQ > Concours Talk

how to read bumper code 9 17 M3

<< < (2/3) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Karguy on August 30, 2021, 04:23:01 PM ---Jeff, on that note I have a question please. Were the Monroe bumpers used on San Jose cars?

--- End quote ---

Yes the Monroe plant supplied bumpers for San Jose plant built Mustangs. Included an examples of an early front and rear bumpers below as examples

hurlbird:
so is this a bumper made for a 1968 but manufactured in 1973?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: hurlbird on August 30, 2021, 05:17:55 PM ---so is this a bumper made for a 1968 but manufactured in 1973?

--- End quote ---

That would my opinion based on looking and documenting a fair numbers of this. Could be manufactured in 1983. Don't think they were stamping service replacements in 1993

Later bumpers can be found using a different date pattern where the year is stamped using the last two digits of the year such as "73" for 1973. Just more room for more letters and numbers built into those stamping dies

Have not worked out all the patterns for all the bumper patterns I have pictures of. And of course as with sheet metal we do find mistakes though these should be seen as rare cases but even they form patterns that can be applied and tracked along with the others

hurlbird:
then my question has changed!!!! How do I know if I have the correct bumper for the 1968? I assumed and hoped the stamped codes would do that for me so I would not have to become an expert on which bumper fits which year..  :o

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: hurlbird on August 30, 2021, 08:34:07 PM ---then my question has changed!!!! How do I know if I have the correct bumper for the 1968? I assumed and hoped the stamped codes would do that for me so I would not have to become an expert on which bumper fits which year..  :o

--- End quote ---

Like other parts (ex exhaust manifolds, inner fender panels and more) date codes do not provide enough information on their own to identify what year the part is for or will fit. Date will only identify (within limits of the pattern used) when the part was stamped or formed

Not sure if "expert" is the right term. You know what a 65 Shelby looks like compared to a 68 KR. It's just learning and experience. Like life there are few if any easy buttons. This is how we learn.  You don't really have to learn all the bumpers only the style that fits your car based on your current need and then the details so that you can determine if the one found fits your needs, plan and budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version