Author Topic: Stuck distributor Ideas please  (Read 4248 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
Re: Stuck distributor Ideas please
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 05:01:53 PM »
finally!!! Heat and the strap wrench. thanks all!!!

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
I believe this is a perfect example of "dissimilar metals corrosion" and could have been minimized with the careful use of one of the many corrosion preventative compounds on the distributor contact flange and o-ring upon installation or regular maintenance.  It's amazing what a bit of preventative maintenance can do.
PL

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
Steve McDonas makes a comment I would like to second and that is heat is a big help. I recently had some bolts snap when removing an old water pump. I soaked them for days with no luck. I finally pulled out the Wagner Heat gun and heated the area around the bolt (but not the bolt itself) and they finally broke free. Try heating the intake manifold around the distributor and then immediately try to break free using the strap wrench.
Jeff
I also have had similar situations with "stuck" fasteners and components, some on vehicles not nearly as old as 1960's cars.
I have found carefully using heat (often propane torch), applying penetrant material (even have used bee's wax), and doing this multiple cycles, the heat cycle helps the penetrating material to wick into the seized joint more each cycle.
Then when attempting to turn, the torque required is much lower because the joint has the penetrating material modifying the "friction" in the joint.
If you've ever tried to replace front shocks on an early VW beetle, you've likely learned this lesson  ;D

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense