News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT500 - #702

Started by Shelby_r_b, April 23, 2018, 08:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350cs

I am seeing a lot of very helpful information in these posts.

Much appreciated I am sure by any potential interested parties, as well as members in  general wanting to be educated.

Thanks All.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 24, 2018, 03:00:37 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 24, 2018, 12:57:26 PM
There are some of these cars that are in some eyes more desirable as "Day 2" cars because people want to actually drive them and in many cases drive them hard.

In SOME cases, putting them back to exactly stock does not make them more driveable.

A good example of that to me would be putting Goodyear Polyglass tires on the car.

So the answer is that there is no simple answer or simple formula. It really depends on the situation and if there was a person that "had to have a '67 WITH Lemans stripes" because it made it more enjoyable to drive and own, the car is more desirable, there is the answer for that person.

From what I am seeing, that seems to bare out in the "marketplace" ? Very high points "Concourse" cars are not necessarily more valuable at resale then an accurate "driveable" car is.

Because seemingly every buyer is different, there is little that is completely predictable except possibly, a "completely wrong" car?
Yes, there is nothing wrong with day 2 mods if that is your intent. In the case of the car #702 that is not the case . This is a extremely nice car. It is obvious the intent was to try and return the car to a state of factory stock. The context in which Mecum uses the word "Concours"in relation to the description of Concours is no doubt referring to factory stock. It is not a generic term for excellence in this instance.  The fact that the auction company makes claims of a concours nut and bolt restoration is what is in contention and why some negative comments were made . The top end retail price expected had something to do with it also.  When you claim a high standard like the Mecum description does and with a hefty price you had better be the high standard or if not expect push back. With the obvious factory looking intent in mind there are a number of Shelby 101 mistakes that can be seen in the engine compartment. If the same percentage of mistakes in detailing are on the unseen underside, suspension ,and trunk given the already mentioned non correct items as are in the engine compartment I would guesstimate given my judging background a high bronze level car. Other judges may think differently. That would be at a SAAC or MCA national show.  Maybe be a little more and it may be a little less. That is still heads and shoulders over 98 percent of the cars like it out there. It is not any higher most likely because of lack of knowledge of Shelby/ Mustang assemblyline build techniques that the restorer didn't have.The restorer may have more knowledge with other makes and models.  Good workmanship appears evident in the pictures from what can be seen even with the detail shortcomings.Just trying to explain the reason why there was push back on the "Concours" details.

I don't disagree at all with any of your statement. I would go further and say that the seller is knowledgeable in the usage of the word Concours.

There should be pushback and am relieved that the secret police have restricted operations severely lately.

Establishing a value is always a question and regardless of who is asked opinions vary widely.
They are very much like the commodities market, i.e., are soy beans up or down today?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 24, 2018, 04:43:07 PM

I don't disagree at all with any of your statement. I would go further and say that the seller is knowledgeable in the usage of the word Concours.

There should be pushback and am relieved that the secret police have restricted operations severely lately.

Establishing a value is always a question and regardless of who is asked opinions vary widely.
They are very much like the commodities market, i.e., are soy beans up or down today?
That is because Randy G. is waiting on ACSCO for Official badges to be made, Pete D. to build a jail cell in his shop and others are on the hunt for a affordable wood chipper for the worst offenders. There has been a lot to do.  ::) ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

azdriver

It is a very nice car. I could not help but notice it does not have a correct thermostat housing....

Pat

shelbydoug

Quote from: azdriver on April 24, 2018, 07:27:17 PM
It is a very nice car. I could not help but notice it does not have a correct thermostat housing....

Pat

Yup!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

I've been in a couple of judging situations where the item was suggested to be "Dealer installed".  O-K then, show me the receipt.

J_Speegle

Would be nice to see some undercarriage shots or even trunk shots in the ad. ::)

The red oxide peeking out in the front wheel well attracts the eye and questions IMHO

Wonder if the car was "restored" in the mid west or the north east part of the country given some of the details
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

There are NE details? Does it have anything to do with the snow?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: roddster on April 24, 2018, 09:57:07 PM
  I've been in a couple of judging situations where the item was suggested to be "Dealer installed".  O-K then, show me the receipt.

That's what I was asking.  If a Customer wanted a Shelby and said I will buy it if you add the LeMans Stripes and the Dealer did so as well as listed it in the Sales Paper Work, would the LeMans Stripes STILL receive a Deduction?  In either case, WHAT are the Points deducted and are they Automatic and is it the same Number at every SAAC Show?

JD

Quote from: tesgt350 on April 25, 2018, 07:39:11 AM

That's what I was asking.  If a Customer wanted a Shelby and said I will buy it if you add the LeMans Stripes and the Dealer did so as well as listed it in the Sales Paper Work, would the LeMans Stripes STILL receive a Deduction?  In either case, WHAT are the Points deducted and are they Automatic and is it the same Number at every SAAC Show?

As stated in reply #10:
Not that the stripes will keep a car out of judging but they will cause a points deduction UNLESS there is documentation stating the stripes were added prior to delivery to the first owner.   

That documentation will need to be as you stated "...add the LeMans Stripes and the Dealer did so as well as listed it in the Sales Paper Work,..." on the selling dealers paper work from the time.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tesgt350

Quote from: JD on April 25, 2018, 08:33:54 AM
Quote from: tesgt350 on April 25, 2018, 07:39:11 AM

As stated in reply #10:
Not that the stripes will keep a car out of judging but they will cause a points deduction UNLESS there is documentation stating the stripes were added prior to delivery to the first owner.   

That documentation will need to be as you stated "...add the LeMans Stripes and the Dealer did so as well as listed it in the Sales Paper Work,..." on the selling dealers paper work from the time.

BUT, I am still waiting on an answer to my original question........" WHAT are the Points deducted and are they Automatic and is it the same Number at every SAAC Show?"

Special Ed

what about the pinchweld rocker blackout.

JD

Perkins/Cowles the heads of the judging would be the ones to answer that...

(maybe Bob G will comment as to what the current thinking is on the subject)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

jim mac

Quote from: 427heaven on April 23, 2018, 09:49:09 PM
That sure is a beauty, lets not kick out the SUPER MODELS from our party because she has a pimple somewhere... ;)

Great line!
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti