News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Real Deal 65 66 Headers or Not?

Started by Bob Gaines, September 02, 2021, 11:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353654965672  . This is the message I sent the seller who has posted ebay auctions of his here occasionally before.  - " The headers in the auction are 70's and newer replacements. The genuine Shelby American assembyline headers had the tubes welded completely from the back side (engine block side). The replacement headers made in the 70's to present had a tack welds on the outside to hold the tube to the flange prior to welding up the tube. The tack weld is prominently seen in your pictures which dates them after Shelby production had ceased. The tack welds are a highly visible way to help enthusiasts determine if genuine or not. There are other ways too. Best of luck on your auction. Bob Gaines Shelby concours judge". He sent back a message quickly and politely conceded my identification point. He said he was depending on another for the validation of originality. Kudos to Jason for quickly staying on top of the situation. I suggested he  change his language somewhat in his auction. With all of his typically great items it would be easy for a enthusiast to take the Header auction description of authentic at face value.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

The iconic item that is missing is the SHELBY AMERICAN factory dents from loading the cars. Once you have seen them, you know what they are. People usually dont try to fake that authentic feature. ;)

gt350hr

As Bob said, there are other ways too. This header was what you got ( initially) when you ordered replacement headers from Ford in '69 through '72. It was still made by Cyclone , but obviously the process had changed. Notice the three bolt flange was changed from welded to "floating" to easier mate up to the H pipe. The Y transitions are not correct OR as smooth as the originals. Sometime in '72 Cyclone stopped making this header and the S1MS part number got you a set of cheaply made 4 tube headers . Guess how I know!
      Original triYs have there own "fingerprints".
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TA Coupe

I thought Belanger was the original manufacturer?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 03, 2021, 01:58:11 PM
I thought Belanger was the original manufacturer?

Roy

Me too. But maybe Belanger couldn't keep up when they needed a big order. They were a fairly small outfit and made a lot of custom drag race headers. Once they made a custom set they would offer them to the general market. They opened in West Covina, CA and by the time I was old enough to start playing with my own car they had moved to Covina a couple doors away from Covico steering wheels and 2 blocks From Russ Davis Ford and Gas Rhonda. I think one of the brothers is still making headers in AZ.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Believe you will find that Belanger made the race headers. Maybe the two have been confused with one another and different needs
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

Cyclone was the original supplier for tri Ys . Belanger did headers for the 289 road race Cobras.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on September 03, 2021, 02:50:18 PM
     Belanger did headers for the 289 road race Cobras.

and the Dragon Snakes - or did they use the standard 289 header?

6s1640

I also sent the seller a note asking about the three hole flanges to H-pipe, whether they were loose or welded on.  They are loose.

Thanks for sharing

Cory

Dan Case

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 03, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on September 03, 2021, 02:50:18 PM
     Belanger did headers for the 289 road race Cobras.

and the Dragon Snakes - or did they use the standard 289 header?

Belanger Bros. Muffler made most of the road race and drag race headers for Cobras. They welded a tag onto assemblies they produced.

A new old stock set of road race headers a friend located for his Cobra.  The full set of parts which rarely get found together.

If Belanger Bros. Muffler made the headers, they were identified as far as I know with a weld on information plate.

There was also at least two drag race systems that SA completed from premade parts themselves, both tr-y type. Here is one the advertised in magazines for drag racers of Cobras.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Dan Case on September 04, 2021, 06:43:14 PM
If Belanger Bros. Muffler made the headers, they were identified as far as I know with a weld on information plate.

Early set before they moved to Covina. I think they moved late 63 when one of the brothers went in the Army. He didn't return to making headers when he got out.