Author Topic: Outer shock spring cover sealer ?  (Read 2679 times)

kram350

• View Profile
Outer shock spring cover sealer ?
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that the bolted outer spring tower covers were not sprayed with undercoat, as the covers were bolted on after sealer applied to inner fenders/fenders, splash shields, etc... . This was apparently the procedure for San Jose cars only, but not the other plants. Anyone know, have comments? San Jose, April build date car. Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Outer shock spring cover sealer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:18 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that the bolted outer spring tower covers were not sprayed with undercoat, as the covers were bolted on after sealer applied to inner fenders/fenders, splash shields, etc... . This was apparently the procedure for San Jose cars only, but not the other plants. Anyone know, have comments? San Jose, April build date car. Thanks in advance.
The spring tower covers were installed prior to the sound deadener/sealer being applied to the wheel well area. The spring cover was not a area that there was a direction to apply sealer to. That is the main reason you don't see sealer on them. That is not to say some sealer could not end up on the cover indirectly from the splash shield or other application.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
So the cover retaining bolts and cover sides should have some indirect "over spray" then. Thanks !

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »
So the cover retaining bolts and cover sides should have some indirect "over spray" then. Thanks !
Typically no but not out of the question.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »

Normally the pattern used by the workers that were assigned that task missed /skipped the spring cover areas and in doing so missed the bolt ends and nuts. Car was pretty much completely assembled  by the time the from wheelwells got sound deadener. Much different than the practices related to the rear wheel wells where they were applied before and got direct application of body color over that application

So typically no. Have plenty of examples
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:41:55 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »
Thanks all. Jeff if you have the time a couple of photos would be appreciated.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
Went back to find your car number and approx build date to focus on the period around your cars build period at San Jose from your previous posts ;)

#6S2072 - April '66

As usual there is a range of how much and where the product was applied. Typically somewhere between just enough/a little or allot or more :)

Firewall section was applied over earlier sealer applications as can be along the inner to frame and shock tower seam seal. 

I've highlighted are pattern to make it easier to see  and contrast it from the grime and uncleaned surfaces of some examples and to fill in some setion that may have come off in the cleaning in others . Hoe this helps

Remember that these were applied from below the car with the worker in the pit This often manifest itself more on the bottom of the battery box if the pattern makes sense than anywhere else.  If the pattern goes to that edge more often that not a restorer will miss that

Also take notice where the patterns extend in some cases to the splash shields and in turn likely beyond

Drivers side examples

Passenger side examples

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks that really help's a bunch!

As I am about to do this I was thinking of the order of procedures; the underside of the inner fender aprons where the fenders bolts were also undercoated, so when the Shelby American GT350 tag was riveted on the fender apron, there should be no sealer on the bottom of the rivets. I would think this would be an important detail to observe on a restored car? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »
Thanks that really help's a bunch!

As I am about to do this I was thinking of the order of procedures; the underside of the inner fender aprons where the fenders bolts were also undercoated, so when the Shelby American GT350 tag was riveted on the fender apron, there should be no sealer on the bottom of the rivets. I would think this would be an important detail to observe on a restored car?
That area is not typically under coated.  that is not to say that some overspray may get in areas from time to time. Many times you can see the reverse of the vin stamping in the various areas because of this circumstance. Sometimes you have to wipe a little away to see. Any SA rivets should not have sound deadner/sealer on them . This is most important because easier seen on the rear wheel house air duct rivets because that area was always sealed . Of course SA came in after the fact and installed the ducts.   

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
.................... so when the Shelby American GT350 tag was riveted on the fender apron, there should be no sealer on the bottom of the rivets. I would think this would be an important detail to observe on a restored car?

If you notice in the first set of pictures typically that area didn't get coated and no sound deadener (shown in the pictures) for at least a foot or more

So typically nothing to notice nor be concerned with.

If in a more non-typical pattern the worker sprayed some of the inner fender lip when he applied some to the bottom of the fender (not something done on the majority of cars IMHO) the drill bit would have simply passed through the layer and the tip of the rivet might not even be visible. But again as we can see from the examples the area typically does not show this being done