Author Topic: trunk wire rats nest  (Read 3621 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
trunk wire rats nest
« on: September 05, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »
see enclosed regarding my wires. Can someone send me a picture of what this area should look like? Time has taken it toll on the tape etc. as you can see. Thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: trunk wire rats nest
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »
see enclosed regarding my wires. Can someone send me a picture of what this area should look like? Time has taken it toll on the tape etc. as you can see. Thanks
Here is a picture of what the harness looked like prior to the sequential sticks and square plug being added with white 3M Scotchlocs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »
Will try to get you a trunk shot tomorrow.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:56:26 AM »
thanks all  :D

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
If your wondering about attachment you can follow the instructions that Branda has posted . The repros they sell have wires that are color coded the same as genuine.    https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-13525187779972/SF1instructions.pdf
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 11:34:50 AM »
very helpful as usual Bob. thank you. So i went exploring this morning and found many of the wires connected to the stick to be in bad shape and i repaired them. My brake lights work great but my blinkers don't only the most inside lights on each side do. No sequence. Is it safe to assume if all wires are connected, which they are, that the sticks are bad? I know they worked two years ago when i got the car after it sat for many years. Also is the main harness coming from up front to the trunk plug and play somewhere on the way back or is it a significant bit of wiring under the dash to replace it? Im considering the old while I'm here do i replace the whole harness thing... Thanks- John

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
very helpful as usual Bob. thank you. So i went exploring this morning and found many of the wires connected to the stick to be in bad shape and i repaired them. My brake lights work great but my blinkers don't only the most inside lights on each side do. No sequence. Is it safe to assume if all wires are connected, which they are, that the sticks are bad? I know they worked two years ago when i got the car after it sat for many years. Also is the main harness coming from up front to the trunk plug and play somewhere on the way back or is it a significant bit of wiring under the dash to replace it? Im considering the old while I'm here do i replace the whole harness thing... Thanks- John
Have the lights ever sequenced while you owned it? If not maybe you have the wrong flasher installed up front.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »
yes they did work when i first got the car a few hundred miles ago...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 01:48:26 PM »
yes they did work when i first got the car a few hundred miles ago...
It could be a number of things . See if it makes a difference when the car is running vs when not. It may be faulty sequential sticks as you say. I would check other things first .I'll start the ball rolling with the most typical culprit grounding.Verify that you have a good ground at all points.That includes the case etc. There are plenty here that have dealt with the problem so you should get plenty of good insight.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »
thanks. would the fact that both sides have the same issue suggest anything?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »
thanks. would the fact that both sides have the same issue suggest anything?
Yes logically it suggests a single problem .The odds of both sticks going bad at the same time are high against.  Try it with the engine running and report back.

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
no difference with the engine running and I grounded the stick itself. Can you describe what the stick actually does that will help me diagnose.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 06:47:46 PM »
no difference with the engine running and I grounded the stick itself. Can you describe what the stick actually does that will help me diagnose.
The technical electronic description of what the stick actually does beyond the obvious is above my pay grade. I have not seen a internal schematic of the sticks. I am not sure how you grounded the stick itself given it is potted in a cardboard tube. I think confirming or making better the ground between the housings ,tail panel and the wiring is the typical solution. It is not a lost effort if it turns out not the cause because a good ground is imperative for the system to work right. The next step is to determine if the flasher failed IMO. 

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 08:07:06 PM »
So i get power from the green/orange stripe light which then as I said lights the inner most bulb on each side. I tried various grounds no luck yet. Wish i could test the stick itself. I'm not seeing that described any where on line just more symptomatic conclusions...

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
i read this online "Basically, the system works as follows: when the directional lever on the turn signal switch is moved, it completes circuits that select and feed power from the flasher to the corresponding bank of rear lights. Power for the lights is fed from the turn signal flasher through the turn signal switch to the sequencer and to the inboard light on the side selected. The center and outboard tail lights are controlled by the sequencer" this makes it sound like the dynomite stick is bad if this statement is accurate........