News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Can this be explained to me?

Started by 67 GT350, September 11, 2021, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

George gave us a nice take on this car. So a serious buyer for a 67 sees this car. Knows the condition and knows the reserve price(has to be close to their "in dealer asking price") and determines that it is way higher than they are willing to pay then why would they bid? Most serious buyers I would hope would have a car of that price(150K) evaluated by themselves or an expert. How do we know how many did that and moved on? My experience seeing cars from this dealer is that they are the typical over priced car dealer looking for out of country buyers who might pay more than the going rate for a number of factors. It appears to me the bidders on this car were just nibblers and not serious buyers. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

That auction has no significance at all.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

George Schalk

It seems the more times a car is listed in an auction, such as this feebay auction, there tends to be less bidders and less bidding each time.  Shill bidding is not uncommon in an auction to help drive the price up or create some action on the car.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that went to look at this particular Shelby.

5s386

It also appears to have a replaced left front fender?

Looks like this was sold at the Gooding & Co. car auction in Scottsdale, Az.
January 2015 (Lot 6)  67200F9A02383  $126,500. "SAAC member restored"

shelbymann1970

Quote from: George Schalk on September 12, 2021, 10:39:19 AM
It seems the more times a car is listed in an auction, such as this feebay auction, there tends to be less bidders and less bidding each time.  Shill bidding is not uncommon in an auction to help drive the price up or create some action on the car.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that went to look at this particular Shelby.
I have sold a few cars on Ebay. The last 2 were BIN in 2009(73 vert survivor) and 2013. The 2013 was my 68 Shelby. A guy hired Ken Costella to appraise it. Ken, who I have known for well over 30 years, gave me his appraisal price for auction and private sale. My listed price was about 4 K higher than his top figure for a private sale. I listed the car 4 times and never "technically" sold it on Ebay but did to a person who saw it there(for my top private sale price). If it didn't sell that 4th time it was getting a Paxton from CC. Shipped it to France. That guy put a Paxton on it and sold it there(he restores 67-70s and also XKE Jags). Ebay has been a good avenue for me to sell or advertise cars but I think BaT will be in the future from now on but I don't exactly sell cars all the time. LOL Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: 5s386 on September 12, 2021, 12:20:24 PM
It also appears to have a replaced left front fender?

Looks like this was sold at the Gooding & Co. car auction in Scottsdale, Az.
January 2015 (Lot 6)  67200F9A02383  $126,500. "SAAC member restored"

I'm not surprised. If someone asked me privately for an opinion I'd tell them it depends on how much you want it.

Forget about getting it for even just a hundred. It should bring somewhere in the 115 to 125 vicinity. Try and make a deal for it there.

66 is a teenager's wet dream. It has no significance except to that teen.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

The seller's contact information is clearly in the eBay add and no one would seriously bid with the ability to talk directly to the seller. The seller was putting it out there on eBay to get free advertising. The car had tremendous interest when it was originally listed and if it had been the "11,939 mile factory original" it was advertised as would have sold immediately and been a bargain for the purchaser.
It isn't that and I believe the wording of the add hurt it.
I saw this car many years ago and at the time it needed a restoration. Obviously it received it. I always recommend that a 1967 Shelby be evaluated by an expert before purchase. If it has it's original drive train and the restoration work was done properly it could be a nice car for someone. There were only 55 red 4 speed GT 350's built in 1967.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

nctrucks

And how many lime green cars that were painter red?

roddster

S7MS427

Not all.  Mine got painted Nightmist.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

427hunter

I think we should start a new forum section for pointless threads, this one should be included.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

67 GT350

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 12, 2021, 09:06:37 AM
That auction has no significance at all.

It might have significance it it ended at 200K, but nothing to see here, at 66K....funny.
RARE  Signature Delete

427hunter

Since some of our friends appear very confused about reserve auctions, I will try and explain.

Let say a person wants to sell an item.

They determine how much money they want in order to part with it.

If the predetermined amount is not reached the item does not sell.

The item is then relisted.

This may to be hard to understand but sometimes it takes time to sell something.

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

67 GT350

Quote from: 427hunter on September 13, 2021, 10:18:06 PM
Since some of our friends appear very confused about reserve auctions, I will try and explain.

Let say a person wants to sell an item.

They determine how much money they want in order to part with it.

If the predetermined amount is not reached the item does not sell.

The item is then relisted.

This may to be hard to understand but sometimes it takes time to sell something.

Exactly, great way to determine market value on ebay. Maybe not BJ or Mec, because of the hype.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Market value can be established typically by how much something sells for and not what it bids up to. That is because it is too easy to falsely bid a item up to give a appearance of value. Auction houses can legally (some more then others  ;) ) shill bid a reserve auction up to what they think the market value is. Their rational is to protect the value of the car for the seller because a buyer was not in the house to bid on that particular day.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby