News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Question about fuel filter

Started by bullitt1939, September 12, 2021, 09:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullitt1939

I just drained the tank and had the carbs rebuilt. The tank was clean, but the carbs were bad. My question is should I change the fuel filter while I have the car down. Just received the carbs back so everything is ready to go back together. If so what is the correct fuel filter that goes back on the car? I will post a picture of what I currently have on the car now.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bullitt1939 on September 12, 2021, 09:02:51 AM
I just drained the tank and had the carbs rebuilt. The tank was clean, but the carbs were bad. My question is should I change the fuel filter while I have the car down. Just received the carbs back so everything is ready to go back together. If so what is the correct fuel filter that goes back on the car? I will post a picture of what I currently have on the car now.
You show a picture of a 67 GT500 fuel filter canister. The canister that came on the cars when first built was marked with Autolite. Replacements are marked FOMOCO. There is a changeable paper filter inside the filter canister . Twist off the canister and change the fuel filter inside whether it needs it or not. They are inexpensive and it is best to error on the side of caution. If trying to source the filter at the auto parts store  the best application that will not confuse is that it is the same replacement filter as used in 1965 V8 Mustangs . NPD and all larger vendors sell them.There was a recent thread on what to use to twist off the canister from the fuel pump.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

Bob,
That was my tread and I got the bowl off after getting help from Paul Marvin. My car is ready to start with a rebuilt carburetor
and new Rotunda fuel filter. Haven't got down to buy alcohol free gas yet. Buc-Ee's in Denton have 92 octane but it's a pretty long drive there from where I live.

Texas Swede