News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Deck lid w/strip issue. 67/68

Started by roddster, October 02, 2021, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

I'm assembling my tribute to lil Red. Using a Scott Drake repop
w/strip, seems I need 1_ton weight to get the deck lid to close with out any force.

I recall some one else had this same issue, but, doing a search J can not find the solution.  Seems slicing a quarter out of the w/strip or more might be the answer. 
Anything else?

Posting this so if any coupe or convertible owner find this same problem.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on October 02, 2021, 12:27:13 PM
  I'm assembling my tribute to lil Red. Using a Scott Drake repop
w/strip, seems I need 1_ton weight to get the deck lid to close with out any force.

I recall some one else had this same issue, but, doing a search J can not find the solution.  Seems slicing a quarter out of the w/strip or more might be the answer. 
Anything else?

Posting this so if any coupe or convertible owner find this same problem.
Danial carpenter made weatherstrips are typically much softer and closer to factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

There was a similar topic a few weeks ago with a suggestion about positioning the w/s at each top corner to help reduce resistance.

Tired Sheep

Do you have the u shaped seal? Or is it the tube style?

shelbydoug

Quote from: Tired Sheep on October 03, 2021, 07:45:39 AM
Do you have the u shaped seal? Or is it the tube style?

That is not the weatherstrip used on my '68 GT350 fastback. Does the convertible use a different weatherstrip?

Mine has the original on it since I bought the car in '72. It is and has been on the "too hard" side of soft as long as I can remember.

It still pushes back on the deck lid when you are closing it and makes a perfect closed alignment not possible.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Tired Sheep

That was the point of the question

Fastbacks use a different seal from coupe/convertible

shelbydoug

I didn't know that. Now I am informed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

I could be wrong about i being Scott Drake brand.  I bought it from NPD (usually they have the best stuff). 
     And it is "U" shaped.
   I'm really disappointed that I could not find the previous post about this topic using the search function.
The deck lid fits fine with no weatherstrip.  I took a slice outof the now removed formerly new strip and sectioned it. It might work that way. 

roddster

That is the thread. Funny how the search feature didn't. Pick it up

shelbydoug

The search feature provided with this software is very not good. It does not have the ability to identify the significant key words.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

On my 68 shelby convertible, I did try moving the weather-strip outward at the radius corners and used a softer weather-strip, but didn't seem to help much.  I think this is one of those items where it needs to be seen from inside the trunk, like before the gas tank goes in to see exactly where the interference is occurring.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

roddster

Charles, I'm in luck as the fuel tank is not yet in. Waiting on the new w/strip to tape it in different spots to see what helps.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: roddster on October 05, 2021, 10:34:32 AM
Charles, I'm in luck as the fuel tank is not yet in. Waiting on the new w/strip to tape it in different spots to see what helps.

I'd be interested in knowing if you're able to get some success with the positioning.

Also, be careful with tape on the weather-strip, some tapes can pull off pieces of rubber off the surface.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge