Author Topic: wire harness question what am i missing?  (Read 1073 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
wire harness question what am i missing?
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:02:54 PM »
So today the 90 degree end to the wire that goes to the temp sending unit broke (red/white stripe). Original. Old wires so I thought lets get a new harness, just that shorter one plugs in by the firewall. Two reds and a middle beige colored wire. Upon closer examination i discover the following. One wire in the harness goes to the coil, one to the temp unit and the third wire (beige) no where! BUT of course the oil sending wire comes from the console and uses its own wire beige in color that wraps around the head not utilizing the wire in the "coil/temp" harness.

What am i not realizing here? Three wires go in and only two come out. thanks

See picture for the harness I want to replace (red) with the mystery center wire

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:33:31 PM by hurlbird »

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: wire harness question what am i missing?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »
Can't get to my car for a while, but as I recall one wire terminates/is cut and that end doubled back and then is wrapped off with tape around it and the wires?  Others, please chime in.

Photos somewhere, but would have to dig.

That white wire with red stripe and the 90 degree push-on terminal is very hard to find in original wiring.  Others will have to comment if reproduced properly?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:48 PM »
So today the 90 degree end to the wire that goes to the temp sending unit broke (red/white stripe). Original. Old wires so I thought lets get a new harness, just that shorter one plugs in by the firewall. Two reds and a middle beige colored wire. Upon closer examination i discover the following. One wire in the harness goes to the coil, one to the temp unit and the third wire (beige) no where! BUT of course the oil sending wire comes from the console and uses its own wire beige in color that wraps around the head not utilizing the wire in the "coil/temp" harness.

What am i not realizing here? Three wires go in and only two come out. thanks

See picture for the harness I want to replace (red) with the mystery center wire
The unused oil pressure wire is typically terminated where it exits the wrap. It is snipped off . Sometimes it is covered with tape and sometimes not. sometimes a length is folded back on itself and taped   Since it is not hooked up to anything it doesn't matter if it is grounded out or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:09:22 AM »
that is good news and solves the mystery! thanks... Id rather repair if someone repops the wire end but i dont see any out there. -John