News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

I just learned something today

Started by deathsled, September 14, 2021, 02:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

As it may be known, I have an amateur's knowledge about suspensions, engines and especially limited knowledge about automotive electronics.  I was watching an episode of Graveyard Carz this afternoon and learned from Mark Worman, who built and independent dash simulator, that the dash gauges receive pulses of 12 volt electricity from something called a (CVR?) that regulates the pulses.  Without these pulses, the gauges would burn up with a constant flow of 12 volts.  It never occurred to me that a pulse of electricity would be involved.  I thought if they are on, they are on full time with a solid electrical current.  First time I ever heard of this and gives me even greater respect as to how intricate an automobile actually is.  They are certainly miracles of human innovation.  I take it that this methodology is the same on Ford and Chevy?  Kinda blew my mind seeing it at work.  Here is the episode by the way.  (I have always had a soft spot for Chrysler muscle from the 60s and early 70s.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtDCAHj57k
Love him or hate him, Worman is a car guy right to the bone.  And loves what he does.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

A lot of work to do what a volt ohm meter will check. The gauges work at low voltage and require a regulator (bolted on the back of the Mustang instrument panel). The part has to be good enough to produce an exact voltage no matter if it's getting 10V or 14V input. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-6dz10804eadj?rrec=true
Most car gauges today even though they have numbers and a sweep hand are nothing but idiot lights. There was a big argument on spending less than $2 extra on the 05 Mustang to give it real analog gauges instead of the looks like ones. In the end the argument that won was the Mustang was a drivers car and deserved real gauges.
Not going to comment on Worman..... aw OK - just to say when the show started it was a great car show. The Mark Worman show ain't worth waatching.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

I do like the option to choose between analog and digital readouts on the Boss 302 Laguna Seca and its scrollability.  As for Worman, yeah he's grandiose and bombastic but I still enjoy his humour and his vast knowledge of Mopars. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert