Author Topic: Correct tail panel black trim paint  (Read 1796 times)

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Correct tail panel black trim paint
« on: September 20, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
My 1969 GT350 does not have black paint on side of taillight like the one pictured......Is this picture showing the correct black out areas?

Thanks.....
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Correct tail panel black trim paint
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »
My 1969 GT350 does not have black paint on side of taillight like the one pictured......Is this picture showing the correct black out areas?

Thanks.....
Besides the black out there is a grained texture made into the surface of the fastback end cap .  The grained surface is meant to match the surface of the tail panel . Convertible has different black out pattern but only smooth no texture surface. Many times previous restorers sand the surface smooth of the fastback end cap not knowing any better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »

No

If you notice at the bottom end of the end caps the black does not continue on the car in your example where on originals the black was continued on the inside of the raised end that goes under the rear bumper as shown in the pictures below of unrestored examples

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cob428

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Is there a material that is used to make the grain feature in the end caps, any suggestions?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
Is there a material that is used to make the grain feature in the end caps, any suggestions?
Keep in mind that very early 69 Shelby fastbacks did not have a grain pattern on ether the tail panel or the end caps instead they had a spray on paint texture.  On those later cars that had the grain pattern the short answer is yes you can use a piece of vinyl that has the same gain pattern as the tail and use that to make a impression on the surface of a skim coat of bondo placed on end cap.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dennis Y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
Is there a particular date for the change?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 04:47:20 PM »
Is there a particular date for the change?
I have not seen anything about that in a Ford Memo or aware of any document like that. Maybe others have.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »

Thanks.....
Stu, this car was never done that way. I consider it rare and not the norm. Can't beat original period correct pics. This is Bill Cooke's dad's daily driver in 1969 as he was a Ford exec. Appears to not be an early car because of the Polyglas tires and it also sports the snake and Shelby quarter sail emblems. Gary
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:42:55 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)