News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

A no no on Seattle craigslist

Started by tomhawk, September 21, 2021, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedgeman

Know the car & the owner..He is a local used car dealer...You think he would know better?.. :o

deathsled

Quote from: JD on September 21, 2021, 03:32:13 PM
In short it aids those who create fakes to sell as real. ;-)

Grounds for a gunfight.  Two cars show up at high noon.  One car leaves (hopefully the original).
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Mike G.

67GT350 made a great point. In NY the NYS registration sticker that is on the windshield next to the state inspection sticker has the full manufacturer's vin # out there for all to see. You cannot even black it out because that would be a ticket for sure. Mike G.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on November 02, 2021, 02:31:44 PMGrounds for a gunfight.  Two cars show up at high noon.  One car leaves (hopefully the original).

The Air Cobra scam went south because one was created that the wreckage was still owned by the original buyer who wrecked the car and bought the salvage. The # was in old paper DMV records as destroyed - that info didn't make it when they switched to computers and was available to hand search. When the original owner saw his number in the Registry he called SAAC and related the original car was in his CO garage still wrecked. SAAC contacted the CHP & DMV. They went to the house of the owner of the replica. They inspected and impounded the car. After a lot of attorney fees and negotiation he got his 1/4 million dollar 427 Cobra back as a $60,000 kit car with a state assigned VIN and all CSX# references crudely ground off.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 02, 2021, 07:44:44 PM
Quote from: deathsled on November 02, 2021, 02:31:44 PMGrounds for a gunfight.  Two cars show up at high noon.  One car leaves (hopefully the original).

The Air Cobra scam went south because one was created that the wreckage was still owned by the original buyer who wrecked the car and bought the salvage. The # was in old paper DMV records as destroyed - that info didn't make it when they switched to computers and was available to hand search. When the original owner saw his number in the Registry he called SAAC and related the original car was in his CO garage still wrecked. SAAC contacted the CHP & DMV. They went to the house of the owner of the replica. They inspected and impounded the car. After a lot of attorney fees and negotiation he got his 1/4 million dollar 427 Cobra back as a $60,000 kit car with a state assigned VIN and all CSX# references crudely ground off.
So the kit car had CSX numbers that were ground off by law and the original wrecked still had its numbers?  Was the wrecked original rebuildable?  If so, was the original 427 ever rebuilt?  Interesting story.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

S7MS427

Quote from: Mike G. on November 02, 2021, 04:35:31 PM
67GT350 made a great point. In NY the NYS registration sticker that is on the windshield next to the state inspection sticker has the full manufacturer's vin # out there for all to see. You cannot even black it out because that would be a ticket for sure. Mike G.
The problem is NOT with the Shelby VIN on '65 - '67 cars.  The problem is with the Ford VIN under the Shelby VIN tag and under the fenders.  That is the one that should not be published.  Putting that one out there opens the door to a convincing fake Shelby because an unscrupulous individual now has both numbers, the keys to the kingdom so to speak.  Remember, the car was originally sold by Shelby with the SHELBY VIN not the FORD VIN.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Mike G.

It is the full Ford vin that is on the registration sticker that is on the cars windshield, not the Shelby vin. So both vin #s are out there for all to see. Mike G.

s2ms

Quote from: Mike G. on November 03, 2021, 07:39:33 PM
It is the full Ford vin that is on the registration sticker that is on the cars windshield, not the Shelby vin. So both vin #s are out there for all to see. Mike G.

The car being discussed is a 66 which does not have the VIN visible through the windshield, same for 65 and 67. Except for very rare mistakes 65-67 Shelby's also did not have door tags. 65-67 Shelby Ford VINs are not visible as they are hidden under the fender lip or SAI VIN tag. The Ford VIN can only be seen by removing/pulling back the fender, removing the SAI tag, or often the reverse stamp can be seen by looking up inside the wheel well. 
Dave - 6S1757

S7MS427

Not sure how that is possible.  Seems like a lot of effort to obtain the Ford VIN when the car is initially sold as the Ford VIN is hidden.  I would think the dealer would have been more interested in making the sale than performing mechanical work to find the hidden numbers.  And IIRC, the Ford VIN did not appear on the Shelby invoice.  At least I've never seen one in the forty plus years I've been looking at such things.

Quote from: s2ms on November 03, 2021, 08:17:40 PM
The car being discussed is a 66 which does not have the VIN visible through the windshield, same for 65 and 67. Except for very rare mistakes 65-67 Shelby's also did not have door tags. 65-67 Shelby Ford VINs are not visible as they are hidden under the fender lip or SAI VIN tag. The Ford VIN can only be seen by removing/pulling back the fender, removing the SAI tag, or often the reverse stamp can be seen by looking up inside the wheel well. 

I agree.  One question, did the state of New York have a regulation that would force the dealers to determine the Ford VIN on Shelby Mustangs?
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on November 03, 2021, 09:28:42 PM
Not sure how that is possible.  Seems like a lot of effort to obtain the Ford VIN when the car is initially sold as the Ford VIN is hidden.  I would think the dealer would have been more interested in making the sale than performing mechanical work to find the hidden numbers.  And IIRC, the Ford VIN did not appear on the Shelby invoice.  At least I've never seen one in the forty plus years I've been looking at such things.

Quote from: s2ms on November 03, 2021, 08:17:40 PM

I agree.  One question, did the state of New York have a regulation that would force the dealers to determine the Ford VIN on Shelby Mustangs?
Shelby was the legal MFG of record. The Shelby VIN was all that was legally needed by the states. With that said the Ford /Shelby relationship was/is confusing to the various DMV's back in the day. Some DMV's insisted on needing the Ford VIN. They had the power to do as they saw fit right or wrong. With the right paperwork to school them they would relent. To this day many (not all) DMV's don't recognize the Shelby VIN for the same old reasons . You have to politely school them with proper documents if you want them to understand and register under the Shelby VIN. Starting in 68 the Ford VIN was incorporated into the Shelby VIN which eliminated the problem.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike G.

My apologies. I jumped in while overlooking the years in question. I would be better off going back to lurking in the back ground and enjoying the posts :) :) :). Mike G.

C6ZZGT

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 02, 2021, 02:06:56 AM
Quote from: C6ZZGT on November 02, 2021, 12:51:30 AM
So a 67 also has a FORD VIN ? I never knew that in my 40 yrs of following along.
The Shelby number is stamped on the tag and also visible in the passenger side apron just like in 65 and 66. The Ford VINs are stamped further back hidden under the fenders . Of course the driver side Ford VIN could be seen in the fender cut out made for that purpose if not for the Shelby tag riveted on top of it.

I`m not sure why I never realized that for a 67 ,but it makes perfect sense .
6R07A143871,since 10/83
selling parts since 1981.

Silver Bullitt

Quote from: 67 GT350 on September 21, 2021, 03:19:47 PM
Would you please explain why this is a bad idea? Just wondering. I would like to have concrete reasons for this. In case I was ever to sell my car, I would want to explain this to a potential buyer asking for that info.

Here is one of many reasons:
https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/enabling-strong-potential-for-k-code-fraud-and-discussing-k-code-fraud-in-general.1173147/page-4#post-10565733