The Cars > GT40 - Original/Mk V

MK-IV Wheels

(1/3) > >>

6R07mi:
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=251.msg123410#msg123410

Discussion from a different topic was regarding MK-IV turbine wheels vs the 6 spoke "JWA/BRM wheels"

I had an opportunity to visit The Henry Ford and view the new display "Racing in America".

J5 has the revised front brake cooling arrangement used at Le Mans, i.e. removed cooling port in the front body, moved the hose pickup to the back panel of the radiator outlet,
thereby picking up the "warmed" air coming out of the radiator, the wheel turbine effect would draw the air thru the rotor and exit out the wheel vanes.

This photo is the LH rear, the RH side is not viewable without getting into trouble with the staff!

just informational to the discussion

regards,
jim p

98SVT - was 06GT:
The wheels on J5 are the original design for the J car and were on J2 when Miles was killed. J1 was cut up after J2 crashed to try and figure out what went wrong it also had these wheels. J5 only ran one race LeMans 67. 2 Shelby MKIVs finished and one didn't all the HM and JW (Mirage 1) were DNF. The Mirage was a retake of the original MKI with revised roof, lighter weight and a SBF (5.7L). They used the 6 spoke wheels.

Side-Oilers:
So, were those turbine wheels where the design of the 10-spokes came from?   

Did they pre-date the 10s on the 1966 cars?

98SVT - was 06GT:

--- Quote from: Side-Oilers on September 27, 2021, 03:15:32 PM ---So, were those turbine wheels where the design of the 10-spokes came from?   

Did they pre-date the 10s on the 1966 cars?

--- End quote ---

I'd say the 10 spokes were first - winter/spring of 65 for 1966 year builds. Now you've got me wondering who designed each? Shelby for the Mustangs? Ford for the MKIV? What company cast and machined each design?

propayne:
Didn't Kar Kraft come up with those wheels?

- Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version