Author Topic: Steering wheel removal  (Read 1800 times)

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
Steering wheel removal
« on: October 24, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »
A big thanks to Bob Gaines, I was really struggling getting my steering wheel off, tried the knee pressure trick, latest was shoe strings attached to a a puller and many others with no success. Then ran across past post from Bob talking about using an air hammer. Finally came off!  Thanks!  That’s what makes the forums so great.

T-Bone68

• View Profile
Re: Steering wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »
I don’t say enough how much I appreciate the help from those in this forum.  I don’t post many questions, but have had countless questions answered by the postings from Bob, Jeff, Pete, Charles, Jim, and the rest of you. Thank you from me, too.  Deeply grateful.

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
A big thanks to Bob Gaines, I was really struggling getting my steering wheel off, tried the knee pressure trick, latest was shoe strings attached to a a puller and many others with no success. Then ran across past post from Bob talking about using an air hammer. Finally came off!  Thanks!  That’s what makes the forums so great.
Sorry to hear the shoelaces didn't work for you, but glad to hear you got it off.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
That’s ok. I appreciate your idea and thought it would work.  It was really stuck on there!  Nice to meet you. Great car! 

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »
Steering wheel puller doesn't work on a 67 ??  Never done one... so just wondering

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 08:12:29 PM »
Steering wheel puller doesn't work on a 67 ??  Never done one... so just wondering
Nope. As unbelievable as it sounds, there are no threaded holes to attach the puller.  Hence all the questions regarding the removal of this wheel.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
Just don’t forget to leave the nut on “loosely” while you work the  wheel loose unless you have GREAT dental insurance and/or enjoy pain….just sayin…. :'(