News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original Engine vs. Non Original Engine effecting values?

Started by dhardiman, September 27, 2021, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

The deduct might have been a few years ago, but today that trend has changed. People are willing to pay 350k for a Eleanor type resto mod cars. Most of these Cobras- Shelbys were run hard and put away wet, with the bulk of them with replaced engines because of the enthusiasm for speed. Friends and associates that have been buying and selling as of lately have found if the car retains its period correct HIPO 289- PI 428- CJ - 427 with related correct engine parts that they are very happy with their rides. No one is crawling under it with a flashlight and creeper including its owners. There is a definite group that has to have the numbers, but that gets muddied because of the trend to re stamp the blocks... Sad but true, most chock it up to it was a performance car so it was meant to be driven in a spirited manor. Not your Mothers Falcon or Galaxie of the day.

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: 427heaven on October 02, 2021, 10:31:17 AM
The deduct might have been a few years ago, but today that trend has changed. People are willing to pay 350k for a Eleanor type resto mod cars. Most of these Cobras- Shelbys were run hard and put away wet, with the bulk of them with replaced engines because of the enthusiasm for speed. Friends and associates that have been buying and selling as of lately have found if the car retains its period correct HIPO 289- PI 428- CJ - 427 with related correct engine parts that they are very happy with their rides. No one is crawling under it with a flashlight and creeper including its owners. There is a definite group that has to have the numbers, but that gets muddied because of the trend to re stamp the blocks... Sad but true, most chock it up to it was a performance car so it was meant to be driven in a spirited manor. Not your Mothers Falcon or Galaxie of the day.

Well said...

Remember...
Most buyers would rather have the land than the house

FordGT

My 67' GT350 has a built date of February and all the engine is date coded Dec, 1966  (6M)   Also. my block isn't stamped with vin but my trans is.  Stamped on the bottom tab.

Hope that helps..

J_Speegle

Quote from: FordGT on October 10, 2021, 11:04:17 PM
My 67' GT350 has a built date of February and all the engine is date coded Dec, 1966  (6M)   Also. my block isn't stamped with vin but my trans is.  Stamped on the bottom tab.

Casting or assembly date?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Having the original drive train in place is a plus but it also brings into question the reliability of it if it has not been completely rebuilt so it's difficult to put a number on it.

That is really going to be the buyer's call as to how much more to ask and the buyer as to how much more they are willing to pay for them.

Of course the seller would want to accentuate that as a positive, and it is, but the value may be seriously over inflated.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69 GT350 Vert

Slightly off topic, but relevant to value.  Any car that had rust repair or body panels replaced is a larger reduction in value than unoriginal engine/transmission in my opinion.  Replacement engines always fit the same as originals.  Not true for floor pans, rear quarters, etc. Even if the panels fit, were they installed properly? Was some rust missed? 

Special Ed

Also what about wrecked, clipped, repo fiberglass , repo parts and repo sheetmetal, repo or missing original tags and under fender  body stamped #s ,rebodies etc.  These are all factors to consider when placing a value on a car and i always try and have car on a lift to fully inspect it when i inspect car for a customer to buy or have restored and make a list of missing or wrong parts so as to put a better value price on the car.

GT350DAVE

Quote from: FordGT on October 10, 2021, 11:04:17 PM
My 67' GT350 has a built date of February and all the engine is date coded Dec, 1966  (6M)   Also. my block isn't stamped with vin but my trans is. 
Let the Registrar know the Shelby number and he can look the car up in the factory records. The engine assembly date on the front of the block is also important.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

427heaven

Lets start back at the very beginning, New guy asks a very simple question about values of a SHELBY with the engine replaced, then states most ,alot, many, what ever term you want to use have had engine changes. I would concur that most - many, have had engine changes. Then it was mentioned what if... REBODIED, CLIPPED, MISSING VIN NUMBERS, NEW VIN TAGS and a host of other things not mentioned by him? All good things to consider, but we went from an engine change, to an off the cliff rebody statement. BRET and ED are 2 guys in this hobby that are highly respected... One probably buys and sells more SHELBYS then anyone else and the other knows his correct parts. An engine change is not a big deal to most, a clipped car or other abnormalities is a different story.

Harris Speedster

427heaven,
I did not pay enough attention in this topic.
I confused it with the topic >>> Guy arguing about re-bodies and guys at the club being degraded about warning to stay away from such cars.
My fault, should probably cut this and paste it in that topic.
Respectfully,
John

I MOVED the reply to the re body topic.

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

trotrof1

Just a heads up, a matching numbers claim doesnt necessarily mean original engine.  I recall a corvette specific dealer advertising in Hemmings and virtually all 50+ cars listed were "numbers matching".  Virtually no attrition rate and a real head scratcher until you understand the difference in description. 

Royce Peterson

Not sure how that could be - generic motors cars have the VIN stamped in the block. Illegal to reproduce that detail.

Quote from: trotrof1 on October 14, 2021, 09:32:30 AM
Just a heads up, a matching numbers claim doesnt necessarily mean original engine.  I recall a corvette specific dealer advertising in Hemmings and virtually all 50+ cars listed were "numbers matching".  Virtually no attrition rate and a real head scratcher until you understand the difference in description.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

trotrof1

Im saying that re-stamped engines exist and the default of numbers matching doesnt  clearly state original as built. So when pressing a seller on clarity it would be wise to be specific. This is when a professional inspector can be important. Caveat emptor.

JD

In '67 (the year in question of this thread) I thought engines having the VIN stamped into them was not required - it was done (as pointed out in another post) by manufacturers' for warranty issues. 

In 1968 it was mandated by that all manufacturers had to VIN stamp all blocks?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

As we've discussed before there are many nuances in the hobby and one would always be better served to ask the person using terms like "numbers matching" means to the speaker or the one making the claim. Same thing goes for "restored" "rebuilt" "all original" "concours correct" and so on

Quote from: JD on October 14, 2021, 02:16:45 PM
In '67 (the year in question of this thread) I thought engines having the VIN stamped into them was not required - it was done (as pointed out in another post) by manufacturers' for warranty issues. 

In 1968 it was mandated by that all manufacturers had to VIN stamp all blocks?

Prior to 68 it was the companies that set up their own rules as to how they would identify engine and transmissions in relationship to addressing warranty and auto thief deterrent needs and concerns.  In 68 this changed when the federal government standardized for the identification of engine and transmissions for auto thief purposes. This does not include much older cars were the engines were stamped and the cars registration was tied to the engine VIN and not the bodies. Created allot of issues and problems when owners replaced or swapped engines  :o

So it depends on which year your discussing and in turn who's requirements were being or not being met.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge