Author Topic: 68 deluxe gauge cluster  (Read 1832 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
68 deluxe gauge cluster
« on: September 27, 2021, 05:41:08 PM »
Does anyone have a recommended source for the best 68 deluxe gauge cluster available or a source to plastic re-chrome an original cluster? I know the Ford replacement cluster I installed years ago is different than the original, but it was the best available option at the time. It is know yellowed and the plastic chrome has started to peel. I've recently received a new NPD catalog and they have a good / best repro. Anyone recently buy a reproduction gauge cluster that can share their experience? Will be pulling my cluster out tomorrow to put a new tachometer in my car, as the factory tachometer has a noticeable lag. Will resore the cluster and lenses at the same time, so any input will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp 

ctann

• View Profile
Re: 68 deluxe gauge cluster
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 12:32:59 PM »
Are you referring to the "Dash Bezel"? Many years ago I got a quote Robert at Chrome Tech USA for re-chroming my dash bezel. I never did go ahead, so can't comment on whether they are good (and you need to source and install your own wood-grain). I got a re-pop part, always looks glaringly wrong to me as there is no chrome around the pony. Let me know if you do find a good source for re-chroming - I still have my original sitting in a box waiting to be re-done...

Robert Chrome Tech usa call if you like 608-274-9811 between 10 am - 10 pm cst.  rshebilske <rshebilske@sbcglobal.net>

Chris.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:12:30 PM »
I've been researching having my original redone. I finally pulled the gauge cluster this morning and will be putting in a better tachometer. I'll keep you informed, as I will be going to Orlando Mustang tomorrow to discuss the bezel restoration with Pete Geisler. Pete has been doing high end restorations for years and has a source for the plastic chrome restoration. Will advise.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »
Got my restored gauge cluster this morning from Orlando Mustang and it looks very nice. Attached are a few photos.

Don
gt350bp

ctann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »
Nice - I miss my "Ring-around-the-pony"! Maybe time for me to get on it...

Chris.

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
I saw Orlando Mustangs restoration work in person at the Charlotte Auto show this fall and they do extremely fine work. I'd recommend them. Denny

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 08:05:12 PM »
I've know Pete and Peter at Orlando Mustang for over 25 years and am lucky enough to be only about 30 minutes from their shop. They do excellent restoration work and are a wealth of knowledge as well as a great source for parts.

Don
gt350bp