Author Topic: Ford's announcement regarding future car development and sales  (Read 4945 times)

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
Re: Ford's announcement regarding future car development and sales
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »
Bring back the EDSEL

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
Direct link to the Ford memo

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2018/04/25/1q18-financials.pdf

While they are focusing (no pun intended) on the Mustang and Utility vehicle lines, I see more to the article than Ford not selling anything else but those two lineups
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 07:37:29 AM »
Direct link to the Ford memo

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2018/04/25/1q18-financials.pdf

While they are focusing (no pun intended) on the Mustang and Utility vehicle lines, I see more to the article than Ford not selling anything else but those two lineups

Secret talks currently occurring on also bringing back the pinto...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »

"any color as long as it's black..."

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »

shhhhh, our secret only .  We did not know you where part of the movement....blm....right on my brother....respect and much love....

"any color as long as it's black..."
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
I guess no-one at Ford remembers what happened to the "truck" market in 2007/8/9 when gas prices spiked?
IMHO, all we "need" is one nut-job in the middle-east to do something stupid or a Liberal US President to squash off-shore and fracking... we'll be at some crazy high gas price - again. Then where will Ford be? Watching the $$ get loaded onto the containers headed for Japan and Korea  :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:44:21 PM by mark p »
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

66S285

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 01:36:51 PM »
business decision; can't make any money on the small cars.  with technology going toward electric and/or hybrid no matter what size the vehicle, it makes sense.  In the mean time, keep selling the big money making trucks. 
66S285
68 KR #2375

Dizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
I expect used Fusions and Tauruses to hold their value if they stop making them. I wonder how much notice they will give dealers. Supply/demand might be interesting. A few years after low truck sales those became hot items because there were no used ones around. SUV,s and crossovers have taken over ( yawn)

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »
Stock up now on spare parts now for future ePay bonuses.  And be sure to keep at lest one original FoMoCo  box for the ad, Pookie style. 8)

66S285

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
as a legacy car manufacturer their fixed costs and pension/benefits costs kill the ability to make money on small cars. their margin is one of the smallest in the business.
66S285
68 KR #2375

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
They walked away from the Ranger / small pick-up market handing Toyota and GM that market share.
The gave up on the Aerostar/ Windstar, (although I tend to agree with that one) and once again handed over the market to Toyota and Honda.
They walked away from the original Taurus, not the five hundred rebadge. That was soon filled in with a larger Fusion when they realized the mistake.

Honestly, I have not followed the sales volumes in recent years, but to walk away from the mid size sedan market seems like a step in the wrong direction. My sister leased a Fusion because she no longer wanted an SUV. She wanted something sportier. She will be forced to another brand. My mother hates SUVs and will also be forced to a competitors sedan as well. Honda and Toyota will once again benefit from Fords plans.

Drop the Fiesta...yes, kill the full size Taurus /500 absolutely, but walking away from the mainstay segmens based on todays oil prices and market demand is living on the edge. Talk about a "Bold Move"! Look at how long it is taking to get the Ranger back when they already had the chassis to build from. That should be a big red flag. The new Focus crossover better be a versatile chassis to reverse direction if needed.

Time will tell...
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
I think that Ford is seeing the future. Much like they did before the 2008 meltdown. This time it is going to be government regulation and honestly the demand for driverless drone cars owned by rideshare fleets (maybe owned by the manufacturers themselves?). Private ownership of family sedans is most likely going to go away.

There is a big change on the Horizon. I think they see it, quite clearly.

My feeling is that for much the same reason they don't build a Corvette fighter, they see expensive to engineer, insanely fuel efficient sedans as a zero profit endeavor. Japan and Korea own those markets right now. Ford co-owns (leads) light trucks and co-owns pony cars and SUVs. They can survive on those alone and shed billions of operating costs.

I think they would import their European mini-cars if push came to shove.

I see the logic and because I would never buy a 4-door car, ever, so I don't really care much either way

66S285

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
Agree 100%
66S285
68 KR #2375

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
I guess if you feel you need a large Ford sedan to cruise in, you need to find a Lincoln dealer.  The demand for the C-Max around here is high, as well as the Focus.