Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Deluxe Seat Buttons ?  (Read 3776 times)

DGSOH

• View Profile
1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Deluxe Seat Buttons ?
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:52:37 AM »
Is there any guidance on how deeply inset the deluxe seat buttons should be in the upholstery? Like should the retaining clips be pushed as far on the pin as possible, just enough to grab or somewhere in between? Is there a defined difference between the front and rear seats?

I ask because on my first pass of the back seat I installed the clip as far down as it would go and feel like the button is maybe inset too much. Certainly seems like it's more than on the original upholstery. I might add this is the TMI repro upholstery.

Thanks -

DGSOH

EDIT: btw - any good tips on getting those clips off without destroying them?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:51:45 AM by DGSOH »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Deluxe Seat Buttons ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
Are these seat covers pretty good as far as vinyl pattern match>> like early cars have?
Thanks in advance.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:40 AM »
Are these seat covers pretty good as far as vinyl pattern match>> like early cars have?
Thanks in advance.
John

Well, I'm no expert but close enough for them to be acceptable, different enough to have to replace it all if you replace 1 in my view. In general my upholstery wasn't too bad and if there weren't the small tears in the passenger seat and scratch in the rear seatback I wouldn't replace any of it.

I could maybe do a side-by-side photo if it would help anyone?

DGSOH

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
Thanks in advance.
John

Well, I'm no expert but close enough for them to be acceptable, different enough to have to replace it all if you replace 1 in my view. In general my upholstery wasn't too bad and if there weren't the small tears in the passenger seat and scratch in the rear seatback I wouldn't replace any of it.

I could maybe do a side-by-side photo if it would help anyone?

DGSOH
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No need to post pictures.
If they are acceptable to the guys that have the earlu upholstery, then they will be good enough for me too !!
Where does a person purchase the early style covers?

Better get them before they stop making them.
With respect,
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
Here’s what I used for seat cover replacement for my early 67:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-premium-upholstery-standard-deluxe-interior-1967/p/U61-V/

As the OP stated, TMI is the manufacturer.  The material looks fantastic, and I’ve had a chance to see original early 67 seat covers, and (while not a side by side view) they look spot on.  And, of course, these are completely smooth - no comfort weave; which was found on later 67s.

And, as the OP also mentioned, if you change one cover, you should really change them all.

I hope that helps!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
Here’s what I used for seat cover replacement for my early 67:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-premium-upholstery-standard-deluxe-interior-1967/p/U61-V/

As the OP stated, TMI is the manufacturer.  The material looks fantastic, and I’ve had a chance to see original early 67 seat covers, and (while not a side by side view) they look spot on.  And, of course, these are completely smooth - no comfort weave; which was found on later 67s.

And, as the OP also mentioned, if you change one cover, you should really change them all.

I hope that helps!
Economically priced but the welting is to large of diameter which is highly visible when you look inside. That is why I resort to having the upholstery made up from scratch by a upholstery shop.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
I read up on the link above and was not happy about having to using the seats old button/ornament.

Welting wrong too, great insight Bob.

I know it would cost more for a custom set, f&r, but maybe worth it.
With respect,
John

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »
Yes welting is larger than original, not sore thumb territory imho, but noticeably larger if you're looking for it. Nearly 2x the diameter I'd guess but it's pretty small to begin with. The color isn't as rich as well, also imho, but all-in-all I think it'll be very attractive when done. Only wish I had the 3 truckloads of cash to throw at a custom set... next life maybe.

Now, about those spring clips holding the buttons in place - anyone successfully removed them without destroying them and if so how?

Thanks -

DGSOH

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
Yes welting is larger than original, not sore thumb territory imho, but noticeably larger if you're looking for it. Nearly 2x the diameter I'd guess but it's pretty small to begin with. The color isn't as rich as well, also imho, but all-in-all I think it'll be very attractive when done. Only wish I had the 3 truckloads of cash to throw at a custom set... next life maybe.

Now, about those spring clips holding the buttons in place - anyone successfully removed them without destroying them and if so how?

Thanks -

DGSOH

Great question. I don’t have an answer, as it really depends on how strong the posts are on the back side of the buttons. My buttons were original and not all made it out OK.

Agreed - it would be great to have custom seat covers, but I still think these look great, especially for the money. And, my understanding is that they would be considered the “best reproduction” covers available...I think  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:03:35 PM »

Thanks -

DGSOH
Well just like most any original detail on the car it is a choice whether you want to duplicate the factory or not. Some people don't know what is incorrect and so it doesn't bother them because they don't know what they don't know  ;). Others know the difference but don't care if it is original or not. Information given here is so a owner can make a informed decision that makes the best sense to them.  As far as cost of a custom made set you are being a little too sarcastic IMO or you don't have any realistic idea of cost because the cost is about twice as much which at 180.00 for a set (front and back Virginia Mustang) would be 360.00 . That is hardly 3 truckloads of cash  ;)   360.00 would be more like a small carryon bag if you were using penny's .  ;) . Yes sarcasm back  ;D   Of course it is up to each owner what makes the best sense to them whether the admittedly nice repro set at a economy price or the more correct more expensive custom set that costs about twice as much for their 100 -200,000.00 car.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
Reproduction buttons are available

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »
-and they are very  nice economically priced relatively speaking . The backing plate for the buttons are also available in reproduction.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »

Repops are what I ended up going with while still saving the originals...even those that broke.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 04:57:01 AM »
Well just like most any original detail on the car it is a choice whether you want to duplicate the factory or not. Some people don't know what is incorrect and so it doesn't bother them because they don't know what they don't know  ;). Others know the difference but don't care if it is original or not. Information given here is so a owner can make a informed decision that makes the best sense to them.  As far as cost of a custom made set you are being a little too sarcastic IMO or you don't have any realistic idea of cost because the cost is about twice as much which at 180.00 for a set (front and back Virginia Mustang) would be 360.00 . That is hardly 3 truckloads of cash  ;)   360.00 would be more like a small carryon bag if you were using penny's .  ;) . Yes sarcasm back  ;D   Of course it is up to each owner what makes the best sense to them whether the admittedly nice repro set at a economy price or the more correct more expensive custom set that costs about twice as much for their 100 -200,000.00 car.   

I agree with all of your comments here Bob, especially "Information given here is so a owner can make a informed decision that makes the best sense to them." I've spent countless hours on research during this restoration to do just that and I very much appreciate the countless hours folks like yourself have accumulated in providing folks like me the information to do so.

All kidding aside, If you could do me a favor and PM me the contact info for a shop willing to stitch up a factory correct set in exchange for that small carry-on I'd really appreciate it.

-and they are very  nice economically priced relatively speaking . The backing plate for the buttons are also available in reproduction.

There are differences in the repro buttons too. My originals are in good condition so I'm using them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread has gotten a little off topic and I'm still looking to learn:

• How deeply inset should the buttons be?
  • Is the inset different between the front and rear or supposed to be the same?
  • How does one remove the spring clips without destroying them?

In removing the original buttons I had to wreck the original clips and bought a set of repro buttons (that's why I discovered there are differences) just for the clips and really don't want to buy another pair just for the clips.

Thanks to all!

DGSOH