Author Topic: Re-body value  (Read 776 times)

shlb69

• View Profile
Re: Re-body value
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »
I’m not a expert but would suggest you stay away.  A lot of legal questions and possibly breaking of laws by someone.   I have been told by law enforcement that to rebody  a car is a federal crime    Did insurance claims for a lot of years

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 10:46:57 PM »
Don’t be concerned about what you’d save by buying it…you would actually be buying a world of worry and then be stuck with it when you realise it was the wrong move.

IF you were into art, would you buy a genuine Van Gough or would you by a copy…..???
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:05:58 AM by GT350AUS »

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »
I would be worried that some guy's lawyer would knock on my door and serve me papers. AND they guy he is representing has a car with the same VIN numbers in another State.
Like I said, I have refused 3 re-bodies of late and one carryover that was so badly wrecked back when new that it could be considered similar with the exception that it is not a re-body....as far as known. (anyone asking VIN numbers, I do not remember them as I do not want to be witness) Like I said, anything I say here is complete gibberish, please just consider me a dumb fool. (legal statement)
RARE  Signature Delete

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
Great strategy by the "experts"

Berate, beat and lecture, then ask for the number.

Tired Sheep re-read, there are no lectures.....the comments are sound advice, stop trying to instigate.  This car in question will always have a black mark and should not be purchased as a Shelby because at some point the "history" will be conveniently lost. 

There is real money involved and the risk is loss of said money.  This is straight talk and the beauty of this forum as the purchaser needs to be made aware of the real issues. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Just looking for opinions on re-body cars. Specifically talking about a 1968 GT500KR fastback. I know it will lower the value but how much? The car in question has undergone a full restoration.
I'm sure you didn't have a clue at the time of starting this thread, but you opened the infamous "Can of Worms" when you did  :o

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
Tired Sheep re-read, there are no lectures.....the comments are sound advice, stop trying to instigate.  This car in question will always have a black mark and should not be purchased as a Shelby because at some point the "history" will be conveniently lost. 

You will never know which car it is now, because most of the people responding to this thread felt it necessary to flex their legal Messiah complex. Sound advice? Its a little too late for that. If you read the posts, the rebody is done. He was not a potential buyer, but the owner.

If this played out properly, you would know the serial number.

Now you have nothing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:14:36 AM by Tired Sheep »

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
So far in my search for a 66, people have been honest, I think, if you know, you better tell the truth. Or risk a lawsuit. Lawsuits cost way more than a 200K car is worth.

-Just my opinion, whatever I say on this whole forum should be considered WRONG and not to be followed. (example, if I say to tighten a lug nut, you turn it to the right, do not believe it, check for yourself)....Anything I say here should not be taken serious, as opinions mean NOTHING.
RARE  Signature Delete

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 10:33:44 AM »
Most states have procedures for "reconstructing" a vehicle.  Often, a state issued VIN is required to title and/or register the vehicle once the reconstruction is done, depending upon the extent of alterations done to the vehicle.  Removal of a VIN plate, and re-attachment, may be permitted for repair under certain circumstances.  It depends on the law and procedures in the state where the vehicle is being altered.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »
MOVED FROM NON NUMBERS MATCHING ENGINE TOPIC>
Should be located here, regarding values of Rebodied shelbys.

Quote from: Special Ed on October 12, 2021, 10:32:25 AM
Also what about wrecked, clipped, repo fiberglass , repo parts and repo sheetmetal, repo or missing original tags and under fender  body stamped #s ,rebodies etc.  These are all factors to consider when placing a value on a car and i always try and have car on a lift to fully inspect it when i inspect car for a customer to buy or have restored and make a list of missing or wrong parts so as to put a better value price on the car.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
SPOT ON ED,
In My opinion, re-bodies are not real cars and have had run ins with such tactics..

As three unscrupulous types found out :
3 Ferrari's turned up with the same serial # of a 1958 Factory built racing Testarosa, ? sp
Pissing contests pursued in court, court ordered carbon dating the chassis tubes and other parts of the car were done.
This case is in the Ferrari books, as the TR was an important car, "Big Red" was unique.

Although many panels were replaced in its World Invitational quality restoration, it IS a real car as History known in full, chassis, engine and much more are documented as original.

I know this all first hand, as another car that was at Biggs spread, my exotic 35 Speedster," was actually posted in a national magazine in a full page devoted to the tactics, with pictures of another race type early Speedster, as being questioned as my speedster with modifications,
They did retract and say that it was not the car.
They thought it was gone forever and possibly thought as the 3 Ferrari cars above ?
To this day, we have only released a pittance of information on the Speedster , has 60- 90,000 reads though

BTW, Ben Harris was Just inducted into the Watkins Glen Walk of Fame and more in September. He shares the Walks with Shelby, Penski, Cunningham, Gurney, Finch, Hill and all early racers at the Glen , 1948-1952. It also includes racers of recognition past the early days.

Street races ended in 1952 at the Glen and most states around the country. Tragedy struck in a death. So happens Ben Harris is in a painting on the front row of the Last Queen Catherine Cup Street race.
Lots more to be said.

Back to topic,
This is directed at this re-body topic, as I mentioned, " and " as many have said herein, may be best to pass.
respectfully submitted,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
  • original posts more than McDonalds over 1 billlion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 03:00:31 PM »
The answer is simple.

ZERO
These cars are meant to be driven so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all cleanCS

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.It's jolted by every pebble on the road

Florida S.A.A.C Love All-Serve All, Take Time To Be Kind

I have a UNGOLD car