News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The one that got away that you never forgot.

Started by deathsled, October 08, 2021, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Someone astutely suggested a thread on "The One that Got Away" so I am taking the suggestion and beginning such a thread.  And here it is.

Mine was a yellow 1970 Boss 302 in Welland, Ontario back in 1982 for $4,500.00.  My grandmother (who raised me) controlled the finances and was on the cusp of helping me get the car for graduating my way to the University of Toronto.  (Yes I was spoiled being the only child as was my dad who is also an only child).  We were about to go down and check out the car with a high probability of buying it until she found out that it was not an automatic but rather a stick shift and that completely killed the deal.  I ended up with an automatic 1974 BMW Bavaria (Not even a quarter of a car compared to the Boss).  I never forgot that 70 Boss 302 in Welland, Ontario.  The 2013 Laguna Seca in my garage presently more than makes up for it.  But I am certain that had that 70 Boss 302 become my car back then I would still be the owner of it today. 

Richard E.

Addendum:  It was 67GT350 that propagated the idea.  He gets full credit for this thread.  Not me.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

First Shelby I ever took a l serious look at back in 82.68 kr coupe Acapulco blue  earl scheib paint,strong motor,cherry interior,4sp.,hubcaps.Guy wanted $5500,I offered $4800.Said he would contact me if he got other offers.Went to the beach for the weekend and he sold it without calling me.Oh well,"you snooze you lose".

98SVT - was 06GT

You own one of them...... and there were several others. I've had over 150 cars some I should have kept were. My 54 Vette - first car I ever bought all on my own. My 70 Road Runner first new car. The prototype ShoGun. One of the last 356 Porsches built. A SAAB factory rally car 1 of 100. Not to mention a lot I sold before they were worth big money.
The worst deal I ever passed on was a guy I know wanted a 1984 Vette in the worst way and offered to trade his Ferrari Lusso straight across for one. It was a runner but had a tatty interior and lousy paint. He wised up and bought a 85 Vette. I bought the Vette from him about 5 years ago for $3,000 garage kept and under 30,000 miles all original except tires and battery.

ADD - Seeing 67GT350 post on a B9 reminds me of the one I passed on for $3,000 around 1978. A white 1969 with low miles but the engine was apart in the trunk. The guy had bought it new and drag raced it. He decided the freshen the engine and took it all apart. That is where his skill level ran out.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

1973, was offered CSX2027 for $3500 and my car. Didn't buy it because it didn't have a roof or a heater. Was a competition car that was converted to street use. 14,000 miles on it and the Webber's were in the trunk
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on October 09, 2021, 02:38:31 AM
1973, was offered CSX2027 for $3500 and my car. Didn't buy it because it didn't have a roof or a heater. Was a competition car that was converted to street use. 14,000 miles on it and the Webber's were in the trunk
That is very painful for me to read.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

67 GT350

I have a few: (first one from the now locked up post? Guess 80 or 100 grand just don't make it.) I would like to say, if anyone has a 66 Shelby and they want 110K for it,I am in! OK back to this topic:

My Boss9 story: I bought a beautiful Boss9 in Clearwater FLA, drove it home to NY with a cardboard plate on the back that said, FLA In Transit, for under 9K, meanwhile, later that year....traded it for a 68 GT500 Convertible and regretted it 3 minutes later while driving it home. Today it would have been considered a mint 56K mile original car! (around 1984)

A guy I knew had 2 65 GT350's, many years ago, he told me he would sell anyone, one, for 1600.00 (around 1979)

In 1980 I must have walked away from 3 different 66 Hertz cars that were 4500, 5000, and 5500 respectively. (didn't want a hertz car!) Sheezzzze!

I found a factory Starsky/Hutch Torino in 1995 for 600.00, I was in school back then, could not afford it. (around 1992)

This last one has history:
I had a 67 GT350 with a Boss 302 and Paxton Supercharger, I was in my last year of school and ran out of survival money, they just took a jump in value, so sold it for 23K (good money then), the guy who bought it, took off the Paxton and sold it, then he sold the car to a NYC college student who was in school up our way, the kid beat it, even must have took a club to the roof, traded it in towards a dodge pickup truck, they sold it to someone....it then changed hands maybe 3 times before it came up for auction, I just bought my current 67 GT350 auto with air, personally do not care for the auto, and my old car came up for auction, I thought it would not be cool to buy it and have 2, until my wife said, "You should have bought it!"....I was lucky to find out who bought it, and contacted him, we chatted for a while and I told him, I wanted to buy it. A few months went by. The (BLANK) emailed me and said he sold it to, "some dealer in NC, I don't remember his name." I did my best not to tell him he was a BLANK, I am really bothered by that today, or I would not be writing this! Just what part of, "I would like to buy it from you, how much do you want for it?" did he not understand?????  (many years from 1983 up to 2021 the story goes)
RARE  Signature Delete

Rocket

When I was looking for a 66 Shelby, I stopped in Albuquerque at a Ford dealer and test drove one. On the way to the salesman's cubicle, we walked past a new 427 Cobra. He said "Let me sell you this car", I asked how much and He said $5000. My answer was "I don't want one of those damn foreign cars, I want a Shelby" This was August 1967 . Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

pmustang

A number of years back I was
At Orlando Mustang and he had an amazing survivor 65 Shelby in the
Shop that he had picked up for a well known Shelby dealer. I was in love

Peter called him and handed me the phone. He said it's for sale $26500. I laughed and thought a non Shelby fastback is so much less and said thank you

DOH!

Also had a GT500KR. Paid $25,500 circa 2002
For it

Go insanely frustrated at one point with the car and sold it.......

Another DOH!

Recently sold my 66GT350. Hopefully that wasn't a big error 

gt350shelb

a black 68 kr sold at trans shop for unpaid bill   14 k

A 67 ?  that had been clipped with a 66 nose / car sat in a back yard and had a real fuzzy history

a 68 green kr that turned out to be stolen for 9000   #2501 later returned to original owner 20 year later

68.5 cj for $3500 early car

69 torino cj $2500 with 4 speed 

thats the short list
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

68 GT350 Auto.  $5500, in 1982, on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign.  My GF, now wife, said we could get a loan.  I was working full time and in school full time making $100-$150 a week.  All the money in the world for a 14yo used car.  Every time we see a 68 now she says "but you don't like 68's"  ;D

Stillakid54

1971, buying my first car, 71 mustang. The dealer had three 69 boss 9's. Two grabber green, one pastel blue and black. He was not giving them away, and still way above my bank account. Would have loved any one of them.
Another was about ten years ago. One owner 69 scj four speed mustang coupe. Royal maroon, black, black. Original drivetrain. Very sharp. At the time short on storage space. Passed on it, but always thought it was a great rare car.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

69mach351w

1966 GT350H in rough but restorable shape. Black/Gold, All correct items were there all the way down to the T-pan. Needed a LF radiator support repair or a complete support. Original hood gone, But everything else there. H Pardee confirmed Ford VIN.

I offered $10K.

The year was 1994, price was non-negotiable at $12,500 :'(

That's just ONE that got away. I'll post others later in this thread..........

69mach351w

Some of you all are not including the year when that one "Got Away".

Remember to include the year(s).