News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How far back can we get Mart report on Mustang?

Started by 1969shelbygt350, October 17, 2021, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969shelbygt350

How far back can we get Marti report on Mustangs

Thx
Paul

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Richstang

Regarding the Ford records and Marti reports,

I believe much of the Shelby related information on the reports came from SAAC several years ago. If a report was requested earlier than 2017 it might have some incomplete data compared to today's reports.

As an example, reports for 1969-70 Shelby's only had the totals of all the special paint cars in the earlier years. Today's reports have the cars listed individually, with the individual special paint color stats. Also, we occasionally see earlier run reports 1 digit off in the stats, compared to later year reports.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Harris Speedster

Rich,
Did Marti end up buying all of the old ford invoices that Louis Eminger had ?
She worked at Ford, and went dumpster diving when Ford tossed thousandth of invoice and build sheets.
Very fine lady !
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bill

Quote from: Harris Speedster on November 04, 2021, 08:38:47 AM
Rich,
She worked at Ford, and went dumpster diving when Ford tossed thousandth of invoice and build sheets.
Very fine lady !
John

John,

Yes, he has "the lot". Now, about that Intermeccanica Italia you have  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bigfoot

Most of the relevant information is available from Ford at no charge. Save your money....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

Rich,
Very fine lady !
John

Ford INVITED SAAC to look at the paper that they had before they dumpted it. That was somewhere around '86 and Pardee and Kopec went out to the warehouse and loaded up everything Ford was offering.

They just rented a truck and loaded it up.

There was one caveat, Ford asked them to share the "Mustang" paper work with Lois.

So what they did was Zerox everything and give Lois the originals as I understand it? The window stickers on the '68 Shelby's was the carbon copy and SOMETIMES the onion skin. Half of those, about 1,900, never showed up and were not in Ford's possession and thus Lois never had them either.

It's possible they were just not filed correctly and are still in the Ford warehouse?

I was told that the Ford warehouse was so big that it makes the warehouse scene in the "Raiders of the Lost Ark", look tiny. I can imagine.

Howard said they had paper work on cars from before WWI that he saw.

We kept some original items that they did not ask to share with Lois such as the original IBM punch cards.

This idea that Lois is the original source is just incorrect and misguided.

I believe that the documents that Dave has now came out of Shelby's attic at the Goodyear Tire Warehouse out in LA? Ford didn't have those and as a result Marti doesn't either. Just SAAC.

Now it isn't really anyone's fault that this is a misconception because it's just an issue that SAAC never really has emphasized any of this and the other thing is that there are still a lot of air heads that deny the significance of SAAC at all.

That's just the way it is I suppose?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

Doug,
I don't have any information from Shelby. That information was strictly 1966 and older. What I have came from Ford.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

shelbydoug

Quote from: GT350DAVE on November 04, 2021, 10:29:58 AM
Doug,
I don't have any information from Shelby. That information was strictly 1966 and older. What I have came from Ford.
Dave

That's fine. As long as you have it.

I don't think that it is going out on the limb for someone to write a detailed article about the "horde" acquisition. It needs telling AGAIN.

There are still apprehensions about who, what, where, etc., and who it was given too and who it got shared with.

Lots of newbies are misquoting everything, are denying SAAC and it's credibility. Some of which can be seen here at times.

The latest to me are all the "Dealer installed Lemans Stripes" on '67s. That is WAY out of control. It's to the point of people advertising their cars as "stripe delete".  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2021, 11:07:02 AM
I don't think that it is going out on the limb for someone to write a detailed article about the "horde" acquisition. It needs telling AGAIN.

There are still apprehensions about who, what, where, etc., and who it was given too and who it got shared with.

Lots of newbies are misquoting everything, are denying SAAC and it's credibility. Some of which can be seen here at times.

Ford probably cleaned out all the 67 SA stuff when they took over. That is all probably still tucked away in their warehouse under some obscure filing system.
As is typical when the horde was discovered and shipped east it was seen by the previous holder just to be old trash from a bygone era with no value - He was probably laughing how he Tom Sawyered the easterners into cleaning up his warehouse. It wasn't until years later when he saw a business opportunity that the old stuff was given another thought - Kinda like his photographer who has sold his collection several times and then screwed each of the buyers.
There is a disconnect between the new and old. The new could care less beyond living on the legend that was created. They are in business to modify street cars/trucks and mark up Kirkham reproductions. Team Shelby has apparently failed to spark an interest and was brought inhouse. Their "registry" is nothing - not on line - not printed - only a prospect mailing list for SA to pitch for a new sale. There are well over 100,000 new Shelby Ford products out there relying on the heritage created by Shelby American in a brief 5 year period from 62-67. I use that time frame because that is the time Shelby controlled his fate. Midway into 67 Ford took over the assets and building of cars. CS became a figurehead and race team with a 3 year contract. Even when the "new" GT500 appeared CS was merely a figurehead. Ford's SVT had done all the development on the car and marketing was at a loss on how to  sell it since earlier "performance" Mustangs relying on SVO and Cobra (even GT350) hadn't sparked enough interest to justify the development cost. Now we see Ford again retreating from paying outside royalties to Shelby American (to use Shelby - Ford owns the other TMs) and the McQueen family. Badging the Mach-1 ties the ICE performance Mustang to their real goal selling the Mustang Mach-E
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Harris Speedster

Guys,
I bought my first Eminger invoice around 1979-1981.
Not sure about later acquisitions she made.
As with Shelby's, people liked to make up stories about what they>> lets say>> created.
When stickers purchased from Louis displayed fake air 1957 Supercharged F Thunderbird's in the country and other ford cars, unscrupulous types stamping numbers basically.
Same basics with Shelby and Cobra, and how important it is that our cars can be truly documented.
Bill>>> just found out that my Italia and all others  are listed in a new book on Intermeccanica Italia's etc, that released,  engine information, colors, production dates, build changes, Holman & Moody's parts with pictures etc.
I did give you one showing 65 fastbacks, fairlaines, ? 67 TA, 427 boats, hipo engines sitting in shops of H/M.
Even though not proper to some now, never over until the fat lady gets on stage and sings
Respectfully,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbymann1970

Rich,
Very fine lady !
John
I met Lois a few times since she was local. She drove a 71-3 Mustang vert(Husband was president of the Tbird club at one time IIRC). My invoices started in the early 80s. She told me she sold the originals but went to the copy store to make a copy first before she would send out the originals just in case the original ones got lost or never transferred with a car. When I found out NPD employees were sorting out the Shelby ones she had I didn't buy mine immediately(almost a really dumb move). I finally bought mine and it took her about 4 months to find mine she said as it was looking for a needle in a haystack in a nice note with my invoices(I'm sure she didn't look 8 hours a day for 4 months!). She found one  in a Wixom Mi folder and the other in a Japanese export folder(my car was exported to France when new). After I got mine I heard she sold what she had to Kevin. I am not sure if Kevin sells the originals when still there or copies to buyers. An example is my old Boss 429 KK2039. I bought the invoices from Lois in 1986. They went with the car. A subsequent owner said he never got them when he bought the car so I assume Kevin has copies of the originals on hand. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

6R07mi

My 1st interaction with Lois was back in mid 70's when I was working at the T-Bird store in Livonia,
the owner was involved with the T-Bird club, and as a former purchaser @ Ford knew Lois both via the club and Ford.
Lois had been instrumental in obtaining the Rouge production records for 55-57 including T-bird, as I recall it was kind of a inside deal because of her position.

We began discussions with Lois (who worked in the FoMoCo Legal Counsel office) of when the Dearborn production records (paperwork)
would be purged from the storage, specifically 1964-66 Mustang, and if the San Jose records could also be saved.

There was a lot of Legal Dept. internal discussion of what they would require to release the records, and while all the back & forth was happening, we were suddenly told the records had been dumped,  sorry too late !

I believe there was quite a bit of negotiations with Kevin Marti before an agreement was made to release the electronic database to him,
if memory serves me it took several days of Ford dumping data on a memory stick and Kevin loading it onto his laptop.

Sidebar; while working at T-Bird store, there was a shop in Plymouth MI that had the mold for the T-Bird steering wheel center plastic medallion, and we were working to get a new run made.
They mentioned they had some fiberglass parts molds for Shelby Mustangs, and we inquired if we could purchase a run of parts, they replied Ford owned the molds and they would have to get a release to use the molds.
That never happened because at the time Ford didn't care, didn't see any market value in it, then a few years later they told us Ford had the molds scrapped. I don't recall what part it was for exactly, but my impression was it was 67 nose panel mold brought back from CA, used initially for service part supply to Ford Parts Div.

regards
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 6R07mi on November 05, 2021, 01:17:33 PM
My 1st interaction with Lois was back in mid 70's when I was working at the T-Bird store in Livonia,
the owner was involved with the T-Bird club, and as a former purchaser @ Ford knew Lois both via the club and Ford.
Lois had been instrumental in obtaining the Rouge production records for 55-57 including T-bird, as I recall it was kind of a inside deal because of her position.

We began discussions with Lois (who worked in the FoMoCo Legal Counsel office) of when the Dearborn production records (paperwork)
would be purged from the storage, specifically 1964-66 Mustang, and if the San Jose records could also be saved.

There was a lot of Legal Dept. internal discussion of what they would require to release the records, and while all the back & forth was happening, we were suddenly told the records had been dumped,  sorry too late !

I believe there was quite a bit of negotiations with Kevin Marti before an agreement was made to release the electronic database to him,
if memory serves me it took several days of Ford dumping data on a memory stick and Kevin loading it onto his laptop.

Sidebar; while working at T-Bird store, there was a shop in Plymouth MI that had the mold for the T-Bird steering wheel center plastic medallion, and we were working to get a new run made.
They mentioned they had some fiberglass parts molds for Shelby Mustangs, and we inquired if we could purchase a run of parts, they replied Ford owned the molds and they would have to get a release to use the molds.
That never happened because at the time Ford didn't care, didn't see any market value in it, then a few years later they told us Ford had the molds scrapped. I don't recall what part it was for exactly, but my impression was it was 67 nose panel mold brought back from CA, used initially for service part supply to Ford Parts Div.

regards
jim p
Thanks for the history Jim! What years did you work at the Tbird parts store? I cannot remember the first time I found out that they sold Mustang parts and started using them(early 80s?). At the time i would also get 20% off parts at Demmer Ford as my Father-in-law worked at Ford. I remember when NPD bought them out. My customer service ID is under "400". It is easier to give the employees my customer number than spell my last name. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)