News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

shelby shock identification

Started by cbrown, April 27, 2018, 10:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrown

I used to refer back to old thread  on shock color, style ,  and application.    Black , blue , fine thread , coarse thread.    can  we get something going again?

chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cbrown on April 27, 2018, 10:07:37 PM
I used to refer back to old thread  on shock color, style ,  and application.    Black , blue , fine thread , coarse thread.    can  we get something going again?

chris
65 to 66 aprox #900 Koni orange. From aprox 900 to the end of production FOMOCO /Gabriel adjustable earliest were Koni looking orange (I don't know how many) . The majority later were a lighter blue similar to the light Ford blue 6cyl engine paint ,the end of production were painted semi gloss black . All with fine thread. 67, Fomoco marked very early then transitioned to Autolite. Painted black with fine thread marked C7ZD fronts and C7ZF rears . 68 were painted a darker Ford blue similar to engine paint with fine thread marked fronts Z7ZD - A . The exception was GT500 KR with 4 speed which used the Ford Mustang rear shocks painted black with course thread.   Early 69 Autolite adjustable painted the darker Ford blue with fine thread fronts Z7ZD-A marked. The exception was GT500 with 4 speed rear shocks which used the Ford Mustang shock painted black with course thread. Approximately in end of March 1969 the shocks changed to different C9ZX marked Autolite adjustable shock painted white with Shelby sticker applied and with course threads. The fronts were the same regardless of application however the rears were C9ZX-B for GT500 4 speed and C9ZX-C for GT500 auto,GT350 auto and 4 speed. This is the basics . I will let others go into nuance details for each year shock.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Thanks!  I had been wondering this as well, regarding 67 shocks.
Nothing beats a classic!

cbrown

great start on info...  Lots of typing Bob!!   

thank you chris

Special Ed

The mustang shock was a 68 1/2  428 cj c8zf-j fine thread if i remember correctly (but cant find mine as i must have sold them) rear shock & all 69 & up shocks were coarce thread . The main difference between a staggered shock 4-speed rear shock from an automatic is the shock lenght the 4-speed is longer & the same for the white 69 shelby rear shocks.

kingchief

Remember, we LOVE photos!!!  ;D

Steve
SFM 6S406

Brant

6S1732 has it's original front shocks. They are the adjustable FoMoCo shocks as Bob describes.

Click here for my Blog post that I posted on the subject:
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/11/just-details1966-shelby-gt350-shocks.html

I restored them and ran them for a bit. As I enjoyed the car more by driving it, I can tell you that the good used Koni shocks that I replaced them with are a HUGE improvement. I guess it depends what you want to do with a particular car and how you choose to enjoy it. :)
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Coralsnake

Darn it Mr Gaines....

68 were painted a darker Ford blue similar to engine paint with fine thread C7ZD/F marked

They were marked "Z7ZD-A"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 28, 2018, 11:07:21 AM
Darn it Mr Gaines....

68 were painted a darker Ford blue similar to engine paint with fine thread C7ZD/F marked

They were marked "Z7ZD-A"
Too much typing I guess because it was the 67 shocks that were C7ZD (front) and C7ZF (rear).  Actually it was the 68 and early 69 shocks that were the Z7ZD -A  I amended my post to reflect the that
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

What about the shock hardware change as i got a box of odd shock hardware that came from broken kits & fell out of shock boxes that i found in old ford dealerships back in the day & the older fomoco kits had cad plated washers & nuts & the newer autolite kits were phosphate & oil so when did the hardware finish changeover?

6S1568

If the Gabriel adjustable shocks came on the front for most Hertz cars after number 900 or so, what shock absorber came on the rear of those same cars? Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6S1568 on July 16, 2019, 08:32:10 PM
If the Gabriel adjustable shocks came on the front for most Hertz cars after number 900 or so, what shock absorber came on the rear of those same cars? Thanks
The same made by Gabriel Ford marked adjustable shock as the front. It was basically the same shocks as used on 67 ,68, 69 and 70 Shelby .

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6S1568 on July 16, 2019, 08:32:10 PM
If the Gabriel adjustable shocks came on the front for most Hertz cars after number 900 or so, what shock absorber came on the rear of those same cars?

As Bob wrote some supplier and similar markings as the fronts.

Here is an example of one for the period your asking about

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TOBKOB

69 GT350 #2060 still wears her original shocks along with the original bushings and hardware with the exception of the upper bushings.
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

6S1568

Thanks for the quick replies and photos, I appreciate your help in the identification process. Denny