Author Topic: Original horns  (Read 2123 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Original horns
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:02:40 AM »
I have the original horns for my '68 but neither work. Is it worth having them repaired/rebuilt, and who does that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
Re: Original horns
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Ditto for my '65. I had to install cheap aftermarket ones just to pass the safety inspection when I imported the car into Canada several years ago. I couldn't find anyone who would repair/restore the originals at the time.
65 GT350

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
I have had good luck by connecting battery and ground (while on bench) and TAPPING with plastic mallet. Not much to lose by trying……..worked for me.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
Ditto for my '65. I had to install cheap aftermarket ones just to pass the safety inspection when I imported the car into Canada several years ago. I couldn't find anyone who would repair/restore the originals at the time.
There are people who restore horns but the cost is hundreds of dollars each to do so. With so many still around from donor cars you can see the cost advantage of finding another working used one. There are kits to restore your own however it is my experience that if you can't get the horns to work with out tearing them apart the kits which only include a gasket and new rivets will not do any better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
I have had good luck by connecting battery and ground (while on bench) and TAPPING with plastic mallet. Not much to lose by trying……..worked for me.

How heavy of a mallet? :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
The 65 and early 66 are ink stamped dated so another donor can be made to look like it was born with the car.   A later year version original horn to a given car that is date stamped correct  may be worth the expense of rebuild. Of course date stamps are not considered in DIV II or Trailer concours.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 04:26:04 PM »

I use a rubber or wooden mallet. Not about the weight but how hard you hit it.

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »

Yep... and a small squirt of wd-40 will help. There is also a n adjusting nut that can be moved a bit to help the process.

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »
I've heard they do a good job:
https://www.carhornrestoration.com/
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »

Well see, the weight of the hammer IS about the volume of impact provided.

How hard do you hit it with what weight hammer = critical mass is the issue.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »
There are people who restore horns but the cost is hundreds of dollars each to do so. With so many still around from donor cars you can see the cost advantage of finding another working used one. There are kits to restore your own however it is my experience that if you can't get the horns to work with out tearing them apart the kits which only include a gasket and new rivets will not do any better.
Thanks Bob - makes sense! I think I'll try the hammer method on the originals first & go the donor car route as a plan B!
65 GT350

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
I'll try the hammer system. With the absence of scientific data as to how much force to apply, I'll have to use the empirical method. When the housing cracks, I should stop.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!