News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Key Identifiers

Started by ujak, October 30, 2021, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ujak

Did the 1967 Shelby come with  2 round metal discs about the size of a dime used to identify the car keys?
I found two of them and they are attached to an orange/red paper tag. From what I can read, it says "Shelby", "1967" and "Green".
That's a match for my car and was curious if they are from the dealer or factory? The discs are stamped with two letters and four numbers and are different from each other.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: ujak on October 30, 2021, 03:49:30 PM
Did the 1967 Shelby come with  2 round metal discs about the size of a dime used to identify the car keys?
I found two of them and they are attached to an orange/red paper tag. From what I can read, it says "Shelby", "1967" and "Green".
That's a match for my car and was curious if they are from the dealer or factory? The discs are stamped with two letters and four numbers and are different from each other.
The 2 round metal discs that came with regular Mustangs and Shelby's from the dealer have a security code on them so that new keys can be cut solely by the key code. One disc has the code for the ignition key and the other disc for the trunk /door keys. I am not sure if that is what you have given you didn't mention anything about a key code . Other identification like the word "Shelby" ,"1967",or "Green" would be something that is commonly done not only by a Ford dealer but also by many car repair or tire shops to identify a car being worked on.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

New Ford cars and new Ford service locks came with those tags. FA preceeding four numbers would be for ignition key,FB preceeding four numbers would be for trunk/glove box,etc. Dealers could use a book to change the four digit code to a five digit code to cut the key. Most tags had the " record and detach" message to remind owners to make note of the numbers. Some lock cylinders have same FA/FB ———— numbers stamped in cylinder body.

S7MS427

I'd be willing to bet that those codes match the key codes on the Shelby production order.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Krelboyne

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC