Author Topic: Boss 302 Laguna rim authentication  (Read 4360 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boss 302 Laguna rim authentication
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:47:25 PM »
Some companies have castings and forgings (the dirty work) made in China then do the finish machine work here.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
Some companies have castings and forgings (the dirty work) made in China then do the finish machine work here.
They turned out nicely.  Keepers for some show perhaps.  I would like to get a set of BBS rims that are "from the day" which in this case is only 8 years ago so not too old yet to make them that hard to find. Yet.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »
Yes, the China rims should last, the car does not see winter. However, it is too bad that they are made in Communist China, they sure do have a "good quality flu" that they shipped over to us, our top Doctor did invest with them, (the proof is there now). There is nothing we can do at this point.
A high end Speaker company, B&W (Bowers and Wilkinson) built a factory in China, with parts made in England, for how long, they actually ship parts and assemble their speakers in China. It can boggle the mind that a company can turn a higher profit by do that.
You are right we cannot live in the past.
Yada yada yada, sorry, Great find, it is nice to find nice spare parts for a nice car.
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
For four years we were headed back in the right direction only to see it all derailed.  I still try to buy American (and Canadian) but it is nearly impossible to do so.  I'm reaching the point of capitulation and realize that my inconsequential voice will never be heard over the tidal wave of globalism.  So I focus on other things than following politics because hearing the current news is frustrating.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 08:37:12 PM »
For four years we were headed back in the right direction only to see it all derailed.  I still try to buy American (and Canadian) but it is nearly impossible to do so.  I'm reaching the point of capitulation and realize that my inconsequential voice will never be heard over the tidal wave of globalism.  So I focus on other things than following politics because hearing the current news is frustrating.

No UAW (or OSHA, EPA, etc) in Mexico.
In early 2016, the Wall Street Journal reported that Ford planned to double its production capacity in Mexico. According to the report, Ford’s strategy would be to shift focus on light vehicles to Mexico and leave manufacturing of high-end (Translation - Lincoln whose buyers who are older and more attuned to buying American) and heavy vehicles (F550 and up) in the US.
The Broncos and Mavericks are Hecho in Mexico.
Or China where a lot of the parts will be made.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 06:55:09 AM »
The person who made the video is the root of the problem in America. He said "I don't care where the rims are made as long as the quality is there". NICE...... Well I do care and so should more Americans because we cannot be a great nation being a service nation and letting other countries manufacture what we buy. Just look at all the shipping problems right now. From what I hear there are no American made products sitting in Chinese shipping containers waiting to come to port. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 07:11:12 AM »
Yes, the China rims should last, the car does not see winter. However, it is too bad that they are made in Communist China, they sure do have a "good quality flu" that they shipped over to us, our top Doctor did invest with them, (the proof is there now). There is nothing we can do at this point.
A high end Speaker company, B&W (Bowers and Wilkinson) built a factory in China, with parts made in England, for how long, they actually ship parts and assemble their speakers in China. It can boggle the mind that a company can turn a higher profit by do that.
Yada yada yada, sorry, Great find, it is nice to find nice spare parts for a nice car.
Back in the 80s My Dad who was one of the heads of payroll for a tier 2 Auto supplier and had to go to Mexico to set up the payroll systems  across from Del Rio, Texas. He told me that the seat frames and materials were made in the USA and then assembled at the Mexican plant for Chrysler who had a hand in building the plant. That was before NAFTA and that was the maquiladoras right across the border. So Chrysler back then found it cost effective to ship the materials there and have them assembled/upholstered then ship back to the USA assembly plants.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:33 AM »
Yes, shelbyman1970, you brought back a memory. We all complained when buying parts AT FORD about the parts being made in Mexico! Can you imagine? I think I would rather those days again....We also had friends that would be able to give us a nice discount, (about 35% and more, I think cost was 45%?) it was so nice in 1980 to buy bumpers for $45, any many, many, many other Mustang parts, however the quality was not really that good, but I would trade "Genuine Ford Parts" and pay todays repro prices to be able to buy them at Ford today!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
Yes, shelbyman1970, you brought back a memory. We all complained when buying parts AT FORD about the parts being made in Mexico! Can you imagine? I think I would rather those days again....We also had friends that would be able to give us a nice discount, (about 35% and more, I think cost was 45%?) it was so nice in 1980 to buy bumpers for $45, any many, many, many other Mustang parts, however the quality was not really that good, but I would trade "Genuine Ford Parts" and pay todays repro prices to be able to buy them at Ford today!
I laugh at NOS bumpers that were not "assy" line made. I used to get 20-25 percent off at a local Ford dealer because my Father-in-law worked at Ford. The bumpers were crap. As a die maker I could see the inferior fixes to the trim die in the finished product compared to my original bumpers. (1982). I re-chromed my originals at a higher price that new noes from Ford. A 69 Mach1 that I restored in the 90s had the latch support with "Made de Mexico" stamped in it. I'll never forget that. San Jose built car. Maybe Jeff can chime in on Mexico being a supplier for Ford for some parts in 1969(unless a service part?). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 11:34:45 AM »
Haha, yes that is right....NOS Ford was not really that good, however I would take it over whats today. I restored a 70 Boss 302 and would love a rear bumper that is a good FORD one, I cannot stand the fit. If I drive by someone, and they are standing too close, the rear bumper will rub your knee caps off!
RARE  Signature Delete

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 12:53:27 PM »
The Broncos and Mavericks are Hecho in Mexico.
Or China where a lot of the parts will be made.

I only comment I watch Bronco's driving out of the Michigan Assembly plant every day so I can confirm they're US built.
Material content is a different story.

regards,
jim p 
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »
The person who made the video is the root of the problem in America. He said "I don't care where the rims are made as long as the quality is there". NICE...... Well I do care and so should more Americans because we cannot be a great nation being a service nation and letting other countries manufacture what we buy. Just look at all the shipping problems right now. From what I hear there are no American made products sitting in Chinese shipping containers waiting to come to port. Gary
I used to care. A lot!  But it's a lost cause. I am at the acceptance stage of grief for this country. I can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. American made always gets preference over all others when I shop. But I almost never see it anymore. I didn't gut this country. The job was nearly done by the indigenous population when I got here from Canada.  Therefore, I have resorted to practicing stoicism in my later years. 
I don't dislike the Laguna Seca any less given the fact the rims are made in China.  It is a bit saddening.  More like learning there is no Santa Claus in reality.  Then you move on and try to get by with what we're given and try to accept it (a bit) or go insane.  I chose the former.

Richard E.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:20:25 PM by deathsled »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 07:26:29 AM »
I used to care. A lot!  But it's a lost cause. I am at the acceptance stage of grief for this country. I can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. American made always gets preference over all others when I shop. But I almost never see it anymore. I didn't gut this country. The job was nearly done by the indigenous population when I got here from Canada.  Therefore, I have resorted to practicing stoicism in my later years. 
I don't dislike the Laguna Seca any less given the fact the rims are made in China.  It is a bit saddening.  More like learning there is no Santa Claus in reality.  Then you move on and try to get by with what we're given and try to accept it (a bit) or go insane.  I chose the former.

Richard E.
I work at GM in the the only full die build facility in North America. Our competitors like Ford  have their dies built in China for the most part then have their die makers here work a few months to make them operational and stable quality wise(had one friend/Ford Die Maker go down to Lexington for months to whip the Navigator Chinese dies into shape a few years ago). One of our saving graces is that we are a stand alone facility doing die design/ engineering, pattern making, CNC machining, die build and die tryout in one facility in an empowerment zone in Flint Mi. GM has started a practice of rapid to market and started with the new Hummer. So with that they cannot wait to have dies on a ship coming from China for 6 weeks as their goal is to cut 6 months out of the program. Our gains have been we shipped the dies we have made for the Hummer pickup 1 year early on one part and over 6 months on another and we are shipping one this week that isn't due until around April. All that and lowering our costs. We will never be as cheap as China because of dynamics like their total builds have been cheaper than our raw materials cost in the past. Right now I'm not sure. Currency manipulation has always been a problem. I found it ironic when Japan did it to us and then they cry foul when China does it to them. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:07:59 AM »

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy