Author Topic: 69 Speedometer Cable  (Read 1547 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 Speedometer Cable
« on: October 24, 2021, 08:00:45 PM »
The assembly manual says to use .50 tape around the cable on both sides of the  grommet and where the retainer attaching it to the frame rail (picture included) my original cable has residue that appears to support that. Any idea why it’s there and what kind of tape it’s supposed to be?
Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Speedometer Cable
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 09:15:40 PM »
The assembly manual says to use .50 tape around the cable on both sides of the  grommet and where the retainer attaching it to the frame rail (picture included) my original cable has residue that appears to support that. Any idea why it’s there and what kind of tape it’s supposed to be?
Thanks.
the tape that I have seen is typically pink. It is there in this instance to show the location for where the cable goes through the firewall.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:35:00 PM »
Don't have a picture of a 69 example but on 67's for example it was a single piece with two stripes of color. Appears to be paper based with a thin clear top protective layer similar to what was used for wire labels
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »
Thanks, Have y’all seen a reproduction out there?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 03:14:09 PM »
Thanks, Have y’all seen a reproduction out there?

Not aware of any of them being reproduced. Would be an easy one to do even at home if you had an original or most of one
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:57:32 PM »
Unfortunately I don’t have anything left except a couple of spots of tape residue.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 11:01:40 PM »
Unfortunately I don’t have anything left except a couple of spots of tape residue.

While you have at least that I would suggest that you measure the space to get an idea of how wide it was and if it suggests that it was one thicker or two thinner ones.

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
At the firewall it had 2 but I find nothing in the spot it’s supposed to have it.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 09:24:08 PM »
At the firewall it had 2 but I find nothing in the spot it’s supposed to have it.

In the assembly manual drawing the are shown as "dash panel" is the firewall I believe