News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 Hertz Shelby Tyres and drive shaft

Started by louis.sciuto@gmail.com, October 26, 2021, 05:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louis.sciuto@gmail.com

Hi

Did the 1966 Hertz Shelby come out with Goodyear Blue steak Tyres?

Also was the drive shaft black, or cast silver not painted?

Thanks

Lou

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

Quote from: louis.sciuto@gmail.com on October 26, 2021, 05:12:46 AM
Hi

Did the 1966 Hertz Shelby come out with Goodyear Blue steak Tyres?

Also was the drive shaft black, or cast silver not painted?

Thanks

Lou
Blue streak tires were standard(ones without the blue band) on 66 GT350 or Hertz. The driveshaft was not painted and was the finish of bare fresh processed smooth steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Couple of pictures to help illustrate

For the driveline I would like to add a little more information to help you and others.

As mentioned it is unpainted except for the identification and sometimes the tubing inventory number but the basics are the tub looks like new bare steel with a heat strip down the length where the ends of the metal were welded to form the tube. The ends are cast iron so they are a different "color" or tint. The ends of the tube where they are welded to the yokes/ends are also discolored as it the weld from the heat during the welding process. Any weights will have some blueing also where they were attached.

Cast iron yokes will also have bright freshly machined surfaces that will contrast the darker freshly case and rough surfaces a detail added after the picture below was taken

A picture to illustrate

Hope these help
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge