News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The G.T. 350 Garage YouTube channel

Started by deathsled, November 01, 2021, 12:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I know what you're thinking  Not another web channel by this guy.  Seriously?  No.  It's not.  I found this channel this evening.  Looks like he has sfm6s1523 according to his channel.  I find these things on youtube when I have nothing better to do.  And that happens a lot as of late.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-W4kYL_-n4

He may be on this site.  Don't know.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

I think it is a little amusing that he says a least a couple of times in the video when talking about mods that he was not going to do this or that because this is a "real Shelby" . He then goes on to talk about making modifications to every area of the suspension ,steering and drive train. Don't get me wrong it is his car and he can do as he wants but I think it is amusing that he is deluding himself into thinking that he is keeping the car original because it is a "real Shelby" as he says when if fact if he does everything he says he wants to the car will be in the category of highly modified when he is all done. I can't help but think he will live to regret some of the mods he plans on doing. Regardless I wish him only success in the project.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

I realize it is his car and he can do what he wants but dang, this car is going to be high modified.  He is touching pretty much everything except the sheet metal and interior and obviously doesn't care about originality or value.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Chad

6S1523

I don't know when it happened, but early Shelby owner's never used to be such judgmental pricks.  From what I can tell the older some of you get, the worse you've become though.  Perhaps you just feel safe saying whatever you like from the security you afford yourself by being behind your computer screen, a phenomenon that seems to be the new norm since social media has exposed how awful people, especially later life adults, really are.  It's just odd, because I'm certain that face to face you'd keep your opinions to yourself because you'd be too afraid of the consequences that would come from showing your true self.

Not all of us want to spend thousands of hours to preserve washers and screws.  I'm not making any claims of performing a proper "restoration" in any authentic or concourse sense.  At the same time, there is a significant effort being made to preserve the integrity of the car so it can easily be returned to stock and restored to its correct original form if I ever desire that in the future.  Every original part from the car is being retained, and every effort has gone into acquiring missing parts for future restoration purposes.  The very limited modifications to the chassis are correctable with relative ease (I'll need to weld up a small hole or two), but none of that matters if it doesn't fit your opinion of what this car should be I'm sure.

Regardless, it's my car, these are my choices, if you don't like them, please: don't watch the video content, and definitely don't bother asking me about it here or in person if we cross paths at a regional event or a future convention. 

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6S1523 on November 03, 2021, 11:41:01 AM
I don't know when it happened, but early Shelby owner's never used to be such judgmental pricks.  From what I can tell the older some of you get, the worse you've become though.  Perhaps you just feel safe saying whatever you like from the security you afford yourself by being behind your computer screen, a phenomenon that seems to be the new norm since social media has exposed how awful people, especially later life adults, really are.  It's just odd, because I'm certain that face to face you'd keep your opinions to yourself because you'd be too afraid of the consequences that would come from showing your true self.

Not all of us want to spend thousands of hours to preserve washers and screws.  I'm not making any claims of performing a proper "restoration" in any authentic or concourse sense.  At the same time, there is a significant effort being made to preserve the integrity of the car so it can easily be returned to stock and restored to its correct original form if I ever desire that in the future.  Every original part from the car is being retained, and every effort has gone into acquiring missing parts for future restoration purposes.  The very limited modifications to the chassis are correctable with relative ease (I'll need to weld up a small hole or two), but none of that matters if it doesn't fit your opinion of what this car should be I'm sure.

Regardless, it's my car, these are my choices, if you don't like them, please: don't watch the video content, and definitely don't bother asking me about it here or in person if we cross paths at a regional event or a future convention. 

Wow ,I didn't know being supportive and wishing you success could be taken as such a bad thing. Geez after putting yourself on the internet for all to see and comment on you react to my least harsh yet supportive  commentary then I hope you don't do something very stupid when someone is truly critical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

It's interesting to watch the videos to see a different approach to an early car.  In stock form, the suspension/steering wasn't the greatest, so there is room for improvement.  The modifications suggested so far are nothing to be concerned about and a little welding in the future could easily reverse them.  Cataloging/saving the original parts is the right approach. 

When the owner posted about the car a while back, I made a suggestion that it would make better sense to restore big sections of the car instead of piecemealing.  It looks like a somewhat big-bang approach is in full swing now :-) 

If the owner is still reading here, one small bit of advice I would like to offer is don't go it alone.  There is a ton of experience here on the forum, lots of guys have done a lot of what you're doing and are almost always willing to share their experiences.  Parts selection is a difficult one, so that would be something I would highly suggest getting help on.  It's frustrating to buy parts, only to find out they aren't up to the task and have to buy again.  There are lots of reproduction parts that leave a lot to be desired.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6S1523

Generally speaking, I've had similar issues with local Shelby club members (southern California area) trying to shame my vision of the finished car when discussing and planning the project and parts acquisition began in earnest in 2015-2018.  At one point I was so discouraged by the negative feedback that I was legitimately willing to sell the car, and then the insults came harder with offers of $15-45k for a rust-free well documented CA car, a few of the offers were from supposedly respectable buyers who I won't mention, only because it's not worth the drama that would ensue.  I took 2019 to think about what I wanted to do and in 2020, I set things in motion for the path I'm on now.

Bob,
Yours was not the only comment posted, my response was intentionally broad and not aimed at any one comment specifically.  If you have concerns over how your comment came across and feel the need to discuss it further we can do so privately.

Charles,
I appreciate the advice, it's not that I'm not listening.  I have far more knowledge about the car, and what I'm doing with it than anyone would like to credit me with.  I've been around these cars my entire life, and I've been associated with this car since November 1987.  I've done substantial research on the parts I'm using and the path I'm taking.  It won't please everyone, but the end results will please me, and I'm the only person who the end results matter to.  I have a substantial amount of work to do, far more than my initial inspection revealed.  Considering I want the car to be a driver and not a show car, I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making thus far.  As I said to Bob above, if the matter needs further discussion, reach out to me privately.

I don't come on here often.  I avoid direct interaction with other enthusiasts in general because I'm rather sick of the BS that comes with interacting directly online.  Unfortunately, face to face interactions aren't necessarily better with people being so disingenuous these days.  My choice to use YouTube and Instagram allows me to control the interactions and keep them relatively positive and constructive.  The content I'm posting is getting better continuously and becoming more interactive now that the project is seriously under way.  And that's enough for me here for now.

deathsled

Well, it would appear that he IS in fact, on this forum as my first post suggested.  To the owner of 1523, I wasn't meaning to stir up any trouble for you.  I too have a day two car (6s843) and thought your channel was interesting for me.  (The guy is was referencing in my original posting was, in fact, myself because I post a lot of silly videos of me and my Hertz and/or my 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca and create YouTube channels some would think needlessly).  So coming across your channel was refreshing to see what someone else was doing with their Shelby, bringing it back to life again.  To me it was informative.  I am no expert and automotive technology and I am always willing to learn and hear another opinion on things like antifreeze and master cylinders and how they work and so on.  I thought your channel would be interesting to other Shelby guys, that's all.  And apparently it was, but not in the way intended perhaps.  Best of luck with your work on the car!

Richard E. 

As a further addendum, I am hoping you continue making your videos on your Shelby.  I enjoy them and hope you are not dissuaded.  I think I made a tactical error posting your video on this forum and started up a fire fight.  That was never my intention.  As a further addendum, never sell your car.  It has a lot of family memories tied up in the car.  Definitely a keeper.  Best wishes.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6S1523

I'm going to put on my fire suit for this one.  I did a far more thorough cleaning and inspection of the underside of 6S1523 and I found more than a dozen places the car has been improperly jacked up by the floor pan.  I was aware of three points previously, dating back to when my parents purchased the car, the most recent findings were less obvious and hidden to a large degree by road grime and copious amounts of undercoating.

Fortunately there is zero rust in the floor pan, but I would estimate 120+ hours total including disassembly, undercoating removal, cleaning, repairing the floor pan, preparing for paint, and reassembly with 40+ of those hours being by someone highly skilled at reworking sheet metal to return the current floor pan to the correct original shape. 

I will not be pursuing that level of restoration, and at the risk of needing nomex underpants on this forum, I'm going to "straighten the floor pan out" within reason, removing the undercoating, and then installing torque boxes and subframe connectors to stiffen up the soon to be 56 year old chassis.

There were some criticisms about my initial comments that I planned to keep the car fairly close to original.  Plans have changed slightly.  And since I have do intentions of selling the car in the next 20 years, I really don't see an issue with my choices, the car will be a driver, not a show car, and I'm going to drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Tired Sheep

Yet another example of shrinking violets.

There are more than a few here that are quick to criticize and accuse people. Unfortunately it always seems to be those who are armed with little or no real contributions. It seems to have spread to other areas where they can play their reindeer games.

Its too bad, the forum could be so much more and actually help people and promote the club and events. But instead there is this constant whining noise.

"Where's my registry? why don't you hide your vin numbers? Oh, you have a decal on your fan shroud!" 

shelbydoug

You were the guys at the Bachelor Party who started the food fight before the stripper came out weren't you? As a result she quit. Couldn't you wait 15 minutes until she got naked?  ???
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

Quote from: 6S1523 on November 03, 2021, 11:41:01 AM

Hi, you own a piece of history so that's why people cringe at mods. It's your car do as you will, but everything you change moves the car farther and farther from it's place in history - making it less interesting. Bob is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum and provided you a sound observation.   
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

FL SAAC

Love this guy !

Love his delivery and demeanor.  You (at least me) understand him clearly and he is not afraid to (should I say this? ) lean on his car.

Meant to be driven and enjoyed !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert