News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Just business or shady dealing?

Started by cutter, April 29, 2018, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter

Quote from: tesgt350 on April 30, 2018, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:04:31 AM
I guess I don't understand the OP.
Does the original owner still have the car for sale or has he now consigned it to a dealer...or did the dealer "steal" the ad and pics and marked it up $30K?

It sounds like someone told the seller that he needs to raise the Price by at least $30K so the owner took down the Ad and reposted it with a higher Price.
[/quote

What I believed is happening, is the owner listed, and I found on a site, when I emailed about it, he said it was in storage in WI...guess who the dealer is now...lol..somewhere in that time frame the dealer probably contacted owner about how much more they could get out of it....so I stumbled on same pics on a different site, but  30K higher...in the meantime owner emailed me back and said car was being stored in WI....even though he was from MI and his ad was from MI...I can understand the dealer trying to make a buck in a specialty market....just makes me even more hesitant to spend that kind of money on a car...but its a free market....just don't buy a green KR from WI. just saying...or at least bring your own vaseline...

tesgt350

Quote from: cutter on April 30, 2018, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on April 30, 2018, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: stangman39 on April 30, 2018, 11:04:31 AM
I guess I don't understand the OP.
Does the original owner still have the car for sale or has he now consigned it to a dealer...or did the dealer "steal" the ad and pics and marked it up $30K?

It sounds like someone told the seller that he needs to raise the Price by at least $30K so the owner took down the Ad and reposted it with a higher Price.

What I believed is happening, is the owner listed, and I found on a site, when I emailed about it, he said it was in storage in WI...guess who the dealer is now...lol..somewhere in that time frame the dealer probably contacted owner about how much more they could get out of it....so I stumbled on same pics on a different site, but  30K higher...in the meantime owner emailed me back and said car was being stored in WI....even though he was from MI and his ad was from MI...I can understand the dealer trying to make a buck in a specialty market....just makes me even more hesitant to spend that kind of money on a car...but its a free market....just don't buy a green KR from WI. just saying...or at least bring your own vaseline...

I see now, this is a SCAM.  They still the Ad's and say the Car is in storage but you must Wire a big deposit first.  Then you never hear from them again.  I see it all the time on Ebay.

cutter

I don't think so....I didn't contact the dealer to see if they actually had it....maybe I should have....maybe it is a scam...now you got me thinking..I've seen them on eBay and craigslist, classic cars....maybe good call...

deathsled

Quote from: 557 on April 29, 2018, 11:16:32 PM
Sometimes you gotta strike when the irons hot too...I vividly remember my Dad looking at a beautiful Benz 280 se 3.5...Guy wanted  8k...Pops hemmed and hawed and when he got back to the guy he had talked to a Mercedes club guy and the price had doubled...No sale....He'll the first Shelby I seriously looked at in 81 which was a 68 kr,I wasn't quick enough...Guy wanted 5500,I made a firm offer of 4800 and went away for the weekend and by the time I came back it was sold for full price...Strangely enough lagging actually worked for me on the car I ended up with...I went for a week vacation on Oahu and asked my Mom to clip any Shelby ads in the local papers while I was gone..Came home to an ad in the local recycler for a 67 got 500 for 6500..However the ad wasn't in the current issue when I got home so I assumed it was sold ...Dear old Mom convinced me to call the number anyways and Bingo the car was still available as the deal had fallen through....6k later my life was changed forever....Booyah!!!
What a great story! And mom!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

cutter

Well...found out it was all legit, contacted the dealer and yes he said they had sold it for him...I didn't ask anything or get into anything about...just mindful to stay away from this type of transaction in the future, its a little disappointing though...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cutter on April 30, 2018, 05:40:10 PM
Well...found out it was all legit, contacted the dealer and yes he said they had sold it for him...I didn't ask anything or get into anything about...just mindful to stay away from this type of transaction in the future, its a little disappointing though...
It sounds like the consignment shop representative told the seller he was selling too cheap . A higher price means more commission for consignment shop and more money for the seller. It seems like a win/win for the seller and consignment shop. It appears from your description to be a above board business arrangement . It is too bad for you I suppose that you didn't jump on the opportunity before the seller got educated. Would that have made you a bad guy if you had bought the car under the market because the seller didn't know any better? I don't think so. By the same token I don't think the consignment shop was a bad guy for educating the seller and getting him more money ether. I do think that it would have been smart to take down all previous lower price ads before a new higher price ad came out someplace else. Just my opinion others may think differently. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Mind posting a link now that its sold?

Shelby_r_b

I feel for the OP.  I think people try to over simplify the purchasing process, but it's almost never that easy, especially for 6-figure cars, IMO.

Either way, nothing's worse than having your heart set on a car, only to have things fall through.  Period.  Yes, I, too, believe everything happens for a reason, but that doesn't mean that it's for a good reason.  ;)

Sorry, cutter! 

Nothing beats a classic!

cutter

Its all good....I'm an optimist, and I have no problem with either party but agree, bad timing to not remove one post, before instructing
potential buyers to contact dealer, I contacted dealer and they acted like car was sold, maybe its all just a bunch of old ads. you know how some people leave things posted up forever, it has been a learning experience about  tothese cars and how people treat each other, but agree, be ready to strike when a deal comes your way, be Leary of something that is to good to be true, and don't sweat the small stuff...things happen for a reason....

Bob Gaines

You are right about being prepared if at all possible. In my case the deals always seem to happen at the most inopportune time. Best of luck on your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

Lots of cars out there. I would just move to the next one.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

tesgt350

If you are serious about buy a Shelby and want to save Money, CASH TALKS so, start now withdrawing $9K, $8K at a time once a every couple of Days so when you find that RIGHT Shelby, you can offer Cash.

OldMil

As for cash deposits and withdrawals, check out  the Bank Secrecy Act for accurate information...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

stangman39

If you don't usually withdraw or deposit decent amounts of cash on a regular basis and then you start doing that it may throw red flags also.

Bank wires usually the best way to go I have found.  I also work in banking.

Bigblock

My bank wants 24 hours to 'order the cash in' for the branch over $10K.

How do the car show guys have wads of cash, unless they have been saving it up?