News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Just business or shady dealing?

Started by cutter, April 29, 2018, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMil

Quote from: Bigblock on May 01, 2018, 11:35:09 AM
My bank wants 24 hours to 'order the cash in' for the branch over $10K.

How do the car show guys have wads of cash, unless they have been saving it up?

Basically, yes.  They do a lot of transactions in cash that they bank themselves (as in a safe at home).  That works well if you don't need the money in your daily cash flow.  It is getting more difficult to deal in cash, and will continue to get harder.  I've had dealings at swap meets with gents who have a briefcase with $50K plus.  We were at a swap last weekend with approximately 3000 vendors.  I asked one of my buddies how much cash was on the grounds....our guess was millions..... 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldMil on May 01, 2018, 11:45:45 AM
Quote from: Bigblock on May 01, 2018, 11:35:09 AM
My bank wants 24 hours to 'order the cash in' for the branch over $10K.

How do the car show guys have wads of cash, unless they have been saving it up?

Basically, yes.  They do a lot of transactions in cash that they bank themselves (as in a safe at home).  That works well if you don't need the money in your daily cash flow.  It is getting more difficult to deal in cash, and will continue to get harder.  I've had dealings at swap meets with gents who have a briefcase with $50K plus.  We were at a swap last weekend with approximately 3000 vendors.  I asked one of my buddies how much cash was on the grounds....our guess was millions.....
Most swap meet vendors would laugh at you if you offered to pay by check or credit card.That is why cash is a necessity at swap meets. The same goes with craigs list transactions  etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

stangman39

For small items on CL or swap meets I think most want cash.
However, I think the people who have a car for sale that say "green benjamins cash only" really limit their pool of buyers.
As it has been said, paying for a higher dollar car with cash isn't easy.
I'm buying one Saturday and the sellers have asked for some cash, the rest I'm bringing in a bank check.

capecodmustang.com

I was offered a 65 Shelby project a couple months back....

The seller had it since the 70's and wanted all in cash...

Very unreasonable....

KR Convertible

An attempt to avoid capital gains?

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 01, 2018, 12:21:05 PM

Very unreasonable....

That's nuts!  I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking that kind of money over to they guy for fear of what might happen on the way!
Nothing beats a classic!

mark p

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on May 01, 2018, 02:10:33 PM

Very unreasonable....

That's nuts!  I wouldn't even feel comfortable taking that kind of money over to they guy for fear of what might happen on the way!

+1
Yes. Apparently many folks carry a big wad of cash and are comfortable... that is not me.
I bought a car a few years ago and the guy wanted all cash (less small deposit vie paypal)... it was less than $20k and yet I was basically petrified the whole day while I had that in my pocket (and I went with a friend as well)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

capecodmustang.com

Actually from my experience dealing with "cash" I'm not concerned about whose following me...
I'm more concerning whose following him and knows I'm coming...

Side-Oilers

Agreed with CapeCodMustang. 

Drive your least impressive car, dress very casually, and bring a tough buddy with you for backup.  Preferably an off-duty LEO, a cage fighter, or your mother-in-law. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

J_Speegle

The challenge for some purchases is getting the banks to give you as much cash as you need. Plus the alarms it sets off federally. With all the funny business with forged bank checks and such - higher price purchases have just become a pain and a time soak since your in locations your not familiar with, have an account near and so on.

Plenty of stories - and plenty of possible close calls. I scaled way back in the 90's after I found I was chasing the deal harder than I should, putting me and my family (screwed up once - lucky nothing came of it) at risk.   Guess in my younger years the risk was something I did every day at work and this was just an extension of that. But it got to a point where I made a choice to cut back.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

stangman39

Buying and selling can for sure be a circus and risky at times!
I've learned a lot over the last 10 years.  Once a seller took me for a small deposit...found out he did the same to others...he was a scammer...CA PD did an amazing job and the guy went to jail and is on probation and I've actually received some small restitution money!

One of my favorites is a guy who drove from AK with his buddy to me...no a decent trip.  I had sent him plenty of pics, told him car needed total resto, spoke on the phone etc.
He showed up, (I thought it was Kelly from the Bad News Bears!), looked the car over, asked if there was a place he and his buddy could talk it over and go grab some lunch and they'd be back.
Never heard from the guy again!

capecodmustang.com

I had a guy by a 67 GT 500 off me about 5 years ago...
He asked me ahead of time if he could pay cash...

I told him he could.

He brought a bank check and $50,000 in cash.

The cash was one's, fives and tens...
He owned a vending machine company...

WTF.....

ITHERTZ

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 01, 2018, 04:10:24 PM

I told him he could.

WTF.....

Oh my gosh - that had to be difficult to count.  I can't believe he would do that to you. 

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on May 01, 2018, 04:10:24 PM

I told him he could.

WTF.....

THAT is AWESOME!!  LOL!!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: mark p on May 01, 2018, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: Shelby_0022 on May 01, 2018, 02:10:33 PM

Very unreasonable....

+1
Yes. Apparently many folks carry a big wad of cash and are comfortable... that is not me.
I bought a car a few years ago and the guy wanted all cash (less small deposit vie paypal)... it was less than $20k and yet I was basically petrified the whole day while I had that in my pocket (and I went with a friend as well)

I hear you!  I remember purchasing my wife's engagement ring (years ago), and the store was willing to give me a discount, if I paid via cash.  The ring (I believe) was $8,000+; which at the time was ALL the money...literally.  I went to the bank and pulled the money... and then looked over my shoulder the entire trip to the jewelry store.  I've never been mugged, and this was in downtown Chicago.  I felt like I was wearing see through clothes the entire way there.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!